kickstart and tank instruments

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
pieceofmetal
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000

kickstart and tank instruments

Post by pieceofmetal » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:38 am

Hi guys :)

this is my first topic, so, please try to be kind :D
trying to be serious, It's a pleasure to see here so many GL1000 lovers

I'm looking for a "new" GL1000 but I have a problem so I'm asking you a suggest...

I want the alloy rims and the triple tank instruments of the '79 version and the kick start system applied the 75-77 models.

so, let me ask, what's the better (easier and cheaper) solution? (ok, changing the rims is not a problem) what's possible and/or easier? apply the kick start system on a '79 model or apply the tank instruments on a 75-77 model?

please let me know and thanks in advance ;)

kndw
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000 Gran' Luxe

Re: kickstart and tank instruments

Post by kndw » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:50 am

If you insist on a kickstart, take an earlier GL and put the later instrument cluster on, or swap engines. The latter seems more work to me.
FYI, I have used the kickstart mechanism maybe once in the 8 years I now own my '76. There's really not much need for it. A real man push-starts it.

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Post by SnoBrdr » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:24 am

pieceofmetal wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:38 am

I'm looking for a "new" GL1000 but I have a problem so I'm asking you a suggest...

I want the alloy rims and the triple tank instruments of the '79 version and the kick start system applied the 75-77 models.

so, let me ask, what's the better (easier and cheaper) solution? (ok, changing the rims is not a problem) what's possible and/or easier? apply the kick start system on a '79 model or apply the tank instruments on a 75-77 model?

The kick starter assy. and rear case from a 75-77 can be mounted to a 78-79.

It requires pulling the engine.

No matter which way you go it's a lot of work.

landisr
1976 GL1000LTD
1994 GL1500A

Post by landisr » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:14 pm

I'm guessing that the desire for the kickstarter is a matter of reassurance should the battery get weak. Got it. The guage issue could be addressed with an aftermarket replacement for the 3rd unit, because the early models have fuel and temp guages. As for the wheels, you could swap them, which would be faster, easier and much cheaper than tearing into the motor. My .02.

Ron in AZ
Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here.

pieceofmetal

Post by pieceofmetal » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:17 am

SnoBrdr wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:24 am
pieceofmetal wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:38 am

The kick starter assy. and rear case from a 75-77 can be mounted to a 78-79.

It requires pulling the engine.

No matter which way you go it's a lot of work.

I think that add the kickstart on a 78/79 model requires a lot of work and I'm not sure of all the operations and the components that I have to buy.

pieceofmetal

Post by pieceofmetal » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:35 am

landisr wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:14 pm
I'm guessing that the desire for the kickstarter is a matter of reassurance should the battery get weak. Got it. The guage issue could be addressed with an aftermarket replacement for the 3rd unit, because the early models have fuel and temp guages. As for the wheels, you could swap them, which would be faster, easier and much cheaper than tearing into the motor. My .02.

Ron in AZ

The desire for a kickstart is a pure mechanical desire. Yes it gives a felling of safety if the battery get weak and......it's so cooool! 8-)

I know that it might not be necessary in my whole life, and I don't care about what real men do :D

change the rims is not a big work, but add the tank instruments is an operation that gives me a lot of questions because I don't know if it is possible cause the 75/77 model may not has the electric components and/or connections. Moreover, should I change the upper part of the tank or all the "tank frame"? if yes, do the lateral parts of the tank of the 75-77 model fix on the "tank frame" on the 78-79 model?

sorry for all the questions and thanks for your reply

kndw
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000 Gran' Luxe

Post by kndw » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:37 am

To see if the earlier model has the electronic parts you'd need and whether panels mount to the faux-tank frame, look at the exploded-views and parts numbers of different models. If part numbers match for the tank frame, the panels should fit too, although other stuff might get in the way... I guess you'd have to try.

exploded views/parts numbers can be found on cmsnl.com