Honda Intercom or Bluetooth, what is better?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
TheChief
Motorcycle: 1999 Goldwing Aspencade SE GL-1500, 2000 Goldwing GL-1500 SE.

Re: Honda Intercom or Bluetooth, what is better?

Post by TheChief » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:15 pm

Until some one comes up with an inexpensive plug and play solution that maintains the factory sytem functionalities, I'm sticking with wired.

The other day I hit Amzon and snaged a pair of BT-S3's. Got them early this afternoon. Spent some time getting one helmet wired. The testing that followed reinforced my opinion that in all of its incarnations, Bluetooth is crap. The S3's are going back to Amazon first thing in the morning.

Cliff Hipsher
ICC USN (Ret.)
'99 Honda Goldwing Aspencade SE
'00 Honda Goldwing Aspencade SE
I.A.M.B.K.
Safety is NO accident.
I Ride. Therefore I am....

C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Post by C-dub » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:08 pm

TheChief wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:15 pm
Until some one comes up with an inexpensive plug and play solution that maintains the factory sytem functionalities, I'm sticking with wired.

The other day I hit Amzon and snaged a pair of BT-S3's. Got them early this afternoon. Spent some time getting one helmet wired. The testing that followed reinforced my opinion that in all of its incarnations, Bluetooth is crap. The S3's are going back to Amazon first thing in the morning.
Maybe it's the BT-S3's. Maybe it's one or both of those sets you received.

Everything I have that is bluetooth works superbly. My hearing aides. My daughter's hearing aides. My Sena SRL in my Neotec-II. My Sena Freewire. And a bluetooth speaker for my phone that I don't remember the brand or model. The bluetooth in our car to either mine or my wife's phone.

I'm sorry you've had bad luck. That kind of experience really sours a person on a thing.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

TheChief

Post by TheChief » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:49 am

The biggest disappointment was the fact that the BT did not save the FM station. I had to retune the bloody thing after a power cycle. We use the FM to listen to our "road tracks" and hear the GPS. The GPS has an MP3 player and an FM and having this fucntionality is crucial.

What really surprised me in the BT world no one seems to have taken their head out of their backside and taken a look around. If one company would come up with a BT enabled GPS/headset system that has an MP3 player and adapters to tie into the factory CB radio, I'd be all over it like white on rice. But no, their too busy raking in cash and catering to the crotch rocket crowd.

@Garmin: Are you listening?
@Honda: What about it? Are you going to stay in the 20th centruy or what?
Cliff Hipsher
ICC USN (Ret.)
I.A.M.B.K.
Safety is NO accident.

89 1500
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500

Post by 89 1500 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:10 pm

All I want is a interface for the factory radio. I just want to use what's already there to a Bluetooth stereo transceiver in my helmets. I could care less about nav or bike to bike. The crew I ride with use our c.b.'s when on the road and are not limited to a quarter mile range. I'd be happy with just losing my cord.

jbaviera
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500A Aspencade

Post by jbaviera » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:56 pm

89 1500 wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:10 pm
All I want is a interface for the factory radio. I just want to use what's already there to a Bluetooth stereo transceiver in my helmets. I could care less about nav or bike to bike. The crew I ride with use our c.b.'s when on the road and are not limited to a quarter mile range. I'd be happy with just losing my cord.
The only thing I've found to work is the Sena FREEWIRE. It's around $250, and comes with either the Goldwing or Harley adapter. Your headsets MUST be Bluetooth 4.1 compatible from what I've read so far. Thinking of going this route myself to use my newly installed CB, but I'm having trouble justifying spending $500 for it all. I currently have the Sena SMH5-FM, and it's Bluetooth 3.1
Making sawdust with 100% efficiency!

89 1500
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500

Post by 89 1500 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:41 pm

jbaviera wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:56 pm
89 1500 wrote:
The only thing I've found to work is the Sena FREEWIRE. It's around $250, and comes with either the Goldwing or Harley adapter. Your headsets MUST be Bluetooth 4.1 compatible from what I've read so far. Thinking of going this route myself to use my newly installed CB, but I'm having trouble justifying spending $500 for it all. I currently have the Sena SMH5-FM, and it's Bluetooth 3.1
I guess I'll stick with cords for now. We only use them on long trips anyway.

TheChief

Post by TheChief » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:46 pm

89 1500 wrote:
I want the same thing too, but the deal breaker has been getting one central bluetooth device that will stream stereo audio to two separate bluetooth receivers. As far as I can tell it ain't gonna happen any time soon.

With the Freewire stuff you need 2 transmitters and 2 recievers and the cost is totally rediculous.

Cliff Hipsher
ICC USN (Ret.)
I.A.M.B.K.
Safety is NO accident.