Why I like GoldwingDocs

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
GL1100Mike
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I Interstate
1993 GL1500A Aspencade

Why I like GoldwingDocs

Post by GL1100Mike » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:01 pm

Why do I like GoldwingDocs. Having bought my second Goldwing, a 1982 Interstate at the end of 1014. I had not ridden in over twenty years when it found me. I found this site to be the best site for like minded people. While getting it back on the road, there wasn't a subject I couldn't ask. I always received several answers to my questions. I just recently purchased a 1993 Goldwing Aspencade. Because the bike had so much plastic on it, I asked the best way to tie it down to trailer it home. So many people were helpful. I got the bike home safely and am enjoying it.

This site is a wealth of information, it doesn't matter what you ride, there is something for everybody.

I went on the first Goldwing Gathering last year. Every model was represented and the camaraderie was outstanding. Nobody worried what you rode, how new , how much chrome, etc. We showed up to ride, swap some stories and have fellowship with like minded people.

This is why I like GoldwingDocs.

tommyemoody900
Motorcycle: 1994 Aspencade, 1995 Aspencade, 1995 SE, 1600 nomad

Re: Why I like GoldwingDocs

Post by tommyemoody900 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:35 pm

I LOVE receiving the goldwing doc. every month. The repair your self issues are great. I maintain my three goldwings using them.

am3098
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

Post by am3098 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:34 am

GL1100Mike wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:01 pm
Why do I like GoldwingDocs. Having bought my second Goldwing, a 1982 Interstate at the end of 1014. I had not ridden in over twenty years when it found me. I found this site to be the best site for like minded people. While getting it back on the road, there wasn't a subject I couldn't ask. I always received several answers to my questions. I just recently purchased a 1993 Goldwing Aspencade. Because the bike had so much plastic on it, I asked the best way to tie it down to trailer it home. So many people were helpful. I got the bike home safely and am enjoying it.

This site is a wealth of information, it doesn't matter what you ride, there is something for everybody.

I went on the first Goldwing Gathering last year. Every model was represented and the camaraderie was outstanding. Nobody worried what you rode, how new , how much chrome, etc. We showed up to ride, swap some stories and have fellowship with like minded people.

This is why I like GoldwingDocs.

I couldn't agree with you more. I just got back from the second gathering; I arrived a stranger and by the end of the three days, I'd met some really good guys. We did some awesome riding and the BS sessions at the hotel afterwards were just as enjoyable. The resources on this site are the best I've come across yet, especially the how to articles; they've definitely saved me time and money over the years. I also like the fact that you can post a question or problem, and chances are someone else had the same issue and can offer up a good answer.
A.J. Musial
USAF Retired
Bazetta Twp., OH
94 1500SE
02 Bushtec

"A Veteran - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to the U.S.A., in the amount of up to and including their life"

dakotanator
Motorcycle: 1973 Suzuki TS185 (sold)
1981 Suzuki GS750L (sold)
1992 Suzuki 1100 Katana (sold)
1981 Honda CB900 Custom (sold)
1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Post by dakotanator » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:36 am

Uhhh........DITTO..!! ha ha

Rebuilt my '83 Aspencade using this site. I am NO MECHANIC, but with all the articles and comments and answers from people here, I actually did everything except the carbs myself. I had Pistol Pete in KY rebuild mine. Can't say enough about him. Got the carbs back on.......fired it up and literally didn't have to adjust anything.
That being said.......I rebuilt just about everything except the engine, but it only has 46,250 mi. on it........so I guess from comments of most of the posters here, she's just "broken in".

Yes.......this site is amazing. What a library of info it contains.
It's not WHAT you ride......it's THAT you ride.

jsmithrmga
Motorcycle: 2005 GL1800

Post by jsmithrmga » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:34 am

I always look forward to receiving my GoldwingDocs email. Over the years I have not contributed much, but I have gleaned a lot of helpful information, and I appreciate being able to post a question if I have one. There are things that never occurred to me that I first saw reading the articles that are posted here. I don't ride as much as I used to, but I still appreciate the time and effort put into this site, and the friendly, helpful posts. Thanks so much!!!

Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black
2000 Valkyrie Interstate

Post by Andy Cote » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:01 am

I have been coming to this site for quite a while. I like to think I have contributed some but certainly have learned more.

The maintenance information is not only great but easy to find.

The classified search is unique and wonderful. I know this function drives a bunch of work for WingAdmin but when I was looking for a new bike or accessories I found this as a tremendous source of reference information.

The contest is also unique. I can't believe I won once as I can't even win at the company Christmas party. Who else does this? It shows the respect in the community that this site and Scott have to continue to get sponsors for this.

Product reviews are well organized and executed and are open to comments from users and members. They are not just a reprint of factory promotional materials.

They might be here (might even be me from time to time) but the site is devoid of know-it-alls, smart-alecks, jerks, oligarchs, and other disrespectful people. Everyone here shares a common goal of sincerely helping others even if they don't ride a Goldwing.

I look forward to the next gathering with an aim of no excuses. I will make one and hopefully sooner rather than later.
DARKSIDE #1500
2018 Goldwing, basic black
2000 Valkyrie Interstate, blue/silver

Previously: GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, many other Hondas

Ham Extra Class, AC1R

danbad
Motorcycle: 1980 gl 1100

Post by danbad » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:44 am

after owning my 1980 gl 1100 for 30 years the technical bits are very interesting,i've done a full engine strip and rebore all from the "Haynes" manual,front disc and caliper swap by eye but still find the spaghetti in the headlamp a pain,keep up the doc's it all helps

Mooseman
Motorcycle: 2007 BMW R1200RT 25K
1996 GL1500SE (SOLD) 101k
1986 GL1200A (SOLD) 81K
1985 GL1200A (SOLD) 85K
1986 BMW K75c 30K

Post by Mooseman » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:29 am

I absolutely Love this site and all the work you (Admin) has put into it.
All the wonderful people who have contributed a wealth of information.
Over the years I've had 3 Goldwings. 2, GL1200A and 1, GL1500SE. My first 1200 was a 1985 that I bought new and put 80K wonderful miles on. Sold that bike as I had work bikes to ride and got into horses.
Well in 2009 I bought a 1986 GL1200 that turned 20K when I took my test ride. Wasn't perfect but I made the purchase. While researching my new ride on the internet I found this site. Every issue I had someone else had been there and had great advise. Well I sold the bike with again 80K on the meter and bought a 1996 GL1500. When I bought the 1500 this site was in full swing. The 1500 was a diamond in the rough, but with help from this site I had a trusty motorcycle that I would take any where and not worry about. Well when I got to 100K it was time to move on to something a little more nimble in the hills and mountains that are close by. Plus the 1500 was just getting a little heavy to move around.
Forever grateful to this site, the Admin and all the members.
THANK YOU
Enjoy the ride. They are all good, just some better than others.
Mooseman

dakotanator
Motorcycle: 1973 Suzuki TS185 (sold)
1981 Suzuki GS750L (sold)
1992 Suzuki 1100 Katana (sold)
1981 Honda CB900 Custom (sold)
1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Post by dakotanator » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:05 pm

Bought my 1st Goldwing 4 years ago, rode it for 600 mi. that first summer, then put her on the "table" for a rebuild.
Collected all the parts, and found this site......OH MY GOD..!!...this site is awesome. Just turned 50 last Dec. and told myself "this spring" she's on the road..!!
Rebuilt, cleaned, replaced, and fixed EVERYTHING but the carbs using all the articles on this site. BUT....the guy I sent my carbs to for rebuilding, "Pistol Pete" was a reference from this site. Carbs came back PERFECT, and got everything back to 100% (minus the turn signal assembly I'm replacing tomorrow.....haha). She runs like brand new, looks about 98% of her showroom days, and all because I found this site and doing all the work myself saved me a H-U-G-E amount of $$ in labor.

THANK YOU EVERYBODY.
It's not WHAT you ride......it's THAT you ride.

Soupcat 1920
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 x 2 ,1975 CB400F , 1979 Yamaha XS650SF, 1981 Yamaha XS650SH

Post by Soupcat 1920 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:18 pm

Why do I like Goldwing Docs? I have been interested in anything mechanical since I can remember. I’m no stranger to bending wrenches in wheeled vehicles. I worked through the eighties in a Honda Yamaha motorcycle/ marine dealership. I worked in the parts department , eventually becoming parts manager.
I am the owner of a pair of GL1000’s. Suffice it to say, I didn’t know what I didn’t know! There are so many topics and and so many more knowledgeable people to reply to them. I haven’t found a problem that I cannot find an answer to. This site is what keeps the old bikes in the wind! I like the old bikes. I don’t know if I will ever own a current modern motorcycle while it is current and modern. Keep up the outstanding work and we will be forever grateful.

gibyg
Motorcycle: 1992 GL 1500 Aspencade Canadian Edition

Post by gibyg » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:43 pm

I want to add my comments to this thread also. I bought my first Goldwing, a 1982 Aspencade, in October 1981 and fell in love with Goldwings. Since then I have had a total of 5 Goldwings, 2 VTX 1300 and a Harley Davidson Ultra Classic. I sold the Harley in 2015 for a great 01 GL 1800. This where my experience with GoldwingDocs started. Projects of services, repairs and upgrades were greatly aided with the assitance of this site. Mistakenly deciding to pack in riding I sold the 1800. That lasted for that summer then the lure to ride was much to powerful and I spent the next 6 months looking for the right bike for me that would also qualify for 'collector' plates here in British Columbia making my insurance ridiculously cheap. I found a 1992 Aspencade Canadian Edition in like new condition and have the bike to take to my grave. First thing I did was replace the timing belts. Without GolwingDocs this may have been a nightmare of a job. But thanks to GoldwingDocs and the simply fantastic way in which the tasks are described and illustrated that job and several more have been a breeze. GoldwingDocs helps me keep my Goldwing running impeccable and I am forever grateful for the existence of GoldwingDocs. Thank you and please keep up the great service.

DougEFresh1123
Motorcycle: 2002 Honda Magna VF750
1994 Honda Goldwing 1500SE

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:44 am

I like GoldwingDocs because of the helpful detailed instructions. I am not a mechanical person but I enjoy working on my motorcycles. Since I don't have a lot of excess cash I need to learn how to fix my bikes by myself.

I haven't actually started working on my Wing yet but I have read through the various articles for the issues I will be addressing this off season. Just a few of the things I need to inspect and or replace are the timing belts, sub filter, cruise control filter, fuel filter, air cleaner, and spark plugs. My Win'gs off season arrived earlier than expected because of a newly developed oil leak. This group was quick to respond about checking the shifter shaft seal and of course there is a detailed write up about how to replace the seal as well as an additional write up about how to install an aftermarket brace to prevent the problem from occurring in the future. The detailed instructions with pictures have really help reduce the intimidation factor as well as my anxiety about taking on these projects. It may take me two to three times longer to fix the bikes but I will be able to say I did myself.

I also enjoy the news letter with the product reviews as well as hitting on some of the more interesting topics that I may have missed.

Thank you to the admin team for all you do to make this the best Goldwing forum!
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

“We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.”
― Ronald Reagan

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous

Post by minimac » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:07 am

Besides being the most informative site on the web, I appreciate the personal touch of our Admin. If you experience an issue, he's available and willing to take the time to look into it.

victory2honda
Motorcycle: 2016 gl1800goldwing

Post by victory2honda » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:04 pm

Goldwing Doc's is a great place to find help with repairs,equipment and parts.
We lost Stu from Goldwing magazine when he retired, he was and absolute encyclopedia on all years and models of Goldwing. and like everyone says the first thing they do when they get their new issue was go to Stu's article.
Thanks for Goldwing Doc's I look forward to it at the first of every month. 😊

iflysmodel
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500SE

Post by iflysmodel » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:41 pm

I always look forward to receiving my GoldwingDocs email. Over the years I have not contributed much, but I have gleaned a lot of helpful information, and I appreciate being able to post a question if I have one. There are things that never occurred to me that I first saw reading the articles that are posted here. I don't ride as much as I used to, but I still appreciate the time and effort put into this site, and the friendly, helpful posts. Thanks so much!!!""
My thoughts exactly. This is a terrific site I look forward to reviewing every month. I often keep it available for me to go back to look at things again. THANK YOU THANK YOU, THANK YOU.

gypsy traveler
Motorcycle: 99 Goldwing se was totalled by a drunk driver while parked, now a 96 se same paint scheme...prev 46 other bikes---am looking for a tw 200 yamaha for a 2nd bike...

Post by gypsy traveler » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:47 am

I have to say...after owning 46+ bikes since l was 15 and rebuilding bikes, cars, and boats for years...l REALLY appreciate the efforts that our admin [Scott] puts into this site! l believe that his efforts inspire others to share their experiences and advice...l have said for years that ''we all have different tools whether they are in your hands, head, or in a book,'' and nowadays---on the web! Excellent job Scott and thank you to everyone including our vendors!...Andy aka Gypsy Traveler---My gwing plate reads ''DVLSH'' not cuz it's red...because of my sense of humor!