Cascade loop this Thursday anyone? I know, short notice

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
Stew
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
2005 Honda CRF230F

Previous bikes:
2003 Honda Ruckus
1993 Honda Elite SR
1986 Honda CR125R
1979 Yamaha GT80

Cascade loop this Thursday anyone? I know, short notice

Post by Stew » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:37 pm

I'm going to ride the Cascade Loop this Thursday, anyone want to join? It's about 400 miles, I'm starting in Arlington, WA up I-5 to Hwy 20 to Winthrop, down to Wenatchee, and back towards home on Hwy 2. Weather looks like it's going to be good, I need to get more miles on this motorcycle!!! I'm going to get a sorta early start, out the door by 7:00am.

Winging it every chance I get 8-)

19,119 miles when I got it from dad Oct 15, 2017 --- 24,532 miles and counting as of Oct 17, 2018!

Stew
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
2005 Honda CRF230F

Previous bikes:
2003 Honda Ruckus
1993 Honda Elite SR
1986 Honda CR125R
1979 Yamaha GT80

Re: Cascade loop this Thursday anyone? I know, short notice

Post by Stew » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:26 pm

I'm back. I didn't do the whole loop because I didn't consider that I wouldn't be getting home from work until 11:30pm the night before, so I didn't get as early of a start as I was first thinking. I rode to the western town of Winthrop and back, it's not quite at the half way point but was still a good 300+ mile round trip ride. Here is a link to a website detailing the whole loop, I'd still like to do the complete loop another day: https://www.cascadeloop.com/

Here is a few miles into SR-20 at the "Welcome to the loop" sign

One of the small towns you pass through early on, Concrete, WA. Yup, there's a lot of concrete there!

One of the lookouts past the Skagit River Hydroelectric facility as you're heading up the mountains. The ride really starts getting good around here.

I finally get the Goldwing thing. I mean really get it. I'm definitely a lone-wolf kinda rider, I was riding along listening to my music experiencing a moment, I pulled off to grab a pic so I can quietly re-live it in my mind later. Over in this area the smoke from the wild fires is still quite thick as you can see, almost looks overcast but that is smoke.

And at my destination, Winthrop, WA. The ride back was even more exhilarating in the twisties in the mountains since I was a little more confident than on the ride out, even though I was going at a pretty good clip I still got passed by a couple other bikes that were REALLY cookin'!

Winging it every chance I get 8-)

19,119 miles when I got it from dad Oct 15, 2017 --- 24,532 miles and counting as of Oct 17, 2018!

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:21 am

Hey Stew,

I wish I would have done the loop with you instead of what I ended up doing. I'd been wanting to go back to Southern California today to visit family.

So, I was up early and left the house at 7:15 am. It was a great day for a ride and the sky's were blue until, about 100 miles north of the California state line. Lots of smoke in the air, not unlike it was Aug 6th, the last time I came through there. I was thinking that maybe they still had not gotten all their fires under control yet. Then the smoke got worse.

At about the 78 mile marker, there was a message on one of those electronic reader boards... "I-5 Closed 143 miles ahead"
I had to turn around and come back north. I was headed to Merced for the night but there was no good way to get there before midnight since I-5 was closed.

I saw on KOMO 4 news this evening that the fire was human set today but they don't know if it was by accident or arson. Saw a picture of a big rig that had burnt up on the road due to the fire. I-5 will not be open for a day or two. Guess I will have to ride south some other day, when California finally gets their fires under control.
Here is the link to USA Today: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/201 ... 209505002/

So, I ended up riding about 750 miles today and ended up back where I started from. I got home at 9:15 pm. 14 hours in the saddle except for 30 minute lunch and fuel stops. I could have done the Cascade Loop in that time easily.
Last edited by MikeB on Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:29 am

Stew wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:26 pm
... even though I was going at a pretty good clip I still got passed by a couple other bikes that were REALLY cookin'!
Funny that you mention this.

A few years ago, a few friends and myself were doing the loop and this Canuk on a crotch rocket smoked by us.
We saw him up the road a few miles and he was paying his respects to a WA State Patrolman, patrol car lights flashing.

About twenty minutes later he went smoking by us again.
Once again, up the road a few miles and he was paying his respects to a stater again. We didn't see him for an hour or so after that.

When we were sitting in Twisp having lunch, he slowly rode on by the BBQ stand we were sitting at. He seemed very law abiding for some reason.

MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA