starting issue


Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
  • Sponsored Links
Post Reply
User avatar
go1dwing
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:23 pm
Location: Bakersfield, California
Motorcycle: Goldwing 03 1800

starting issue

Post by go1dwing » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:46 pm



Off and on the bike sometimes would not start, no clicking, nothing. At times the starter would keep running with key off. Now it fails to start. I replaced A and B relays, checked and cleaned starter/reverse switch. Still will not start. I supplied 12volts directly to the red terminal relays' coil and it starts right up. Where should I look next? All fuses check okay. Any help would be appreciated.



User avatar
GoldWingrGreg
Posts: 244
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:18 am
Location: Zephyrhills, Florida
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Re: starting issue

Post by GoldWingrGreg » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:11 am

Make, model, and years is always helpful.

User avatar
go1dwing
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:23 pm
Location: Bakersfield, California
Motorcycle: Goldwing 03 1800

Re: starting issue

Post by go1dwing » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:01 am

That info is in my avatar below pic. Thanks for responding. 03 1800 Honda Goldwing.

User avatar
Asphaltmaniac
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:57 am
Location: Sparks Nevada
Motorcycle: 2006 1800 bought out of the box...Now has 190K Love this bike!!!!!

Re: starting issue

Post by Asphaltmaniac » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:12 pm

go1dwing wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:46 pm
Off and on the bike sometimes would not start, no clicking, nothing. At times the starter would keep running with key off. Now it fails to start. I replaced A and B relays, checked and cleaned starter/reverse switch. Still will not start. I supplied 12volts directly to the red terminal relays' coil and it starts right up. Where should I look next? All fuses check okay. Any help would be appreciated.
Explain exactly what you do too have the starter motor going with the key off. Did this all start after or sometime after doing maintenance or adding an accessory?

User avatar
themainviking
Posts: 3224
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:59 pm
Location: North Bay, Ontario, Canada
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Re: starting issue

Post by themainviking » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:41 pm

go1dwing wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:01 am
That info is in my avatar below pic. Thanks for responding. 03 1800 Honda Goldwing.
Some people read this on their phones and do not see the avatars.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

Image

User avatar
GoldWingrGreg
Posts: 244
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:18 am
Location: Zephyrhills, Florida
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Re: starting issue

Post by GoldWingrGreg » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:28 pm

themainviking wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:41 pm
go1dwing wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:01 am
That info is in my avatar below pic. Thanks for responding. 03 1800 Honda Goldwing.
Some people read this on their phones and do not see the avatars.
While others will not assume what's in the avatar is the one he's working on.

User avatar
themainviking
Posts: 3224
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:59 pm
Location: North Bay, Ontario, Canada
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Re: starting issue

Post by themainviking » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:45 am

GoldWingrGreg wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:28 pm
themainviking wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:41 pm
go1dwing wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:01 am
That info is in my avatar below pic. Thanks for responding. 03 1800 Honda Goldwing.
Some people read this on their phones and do not see the avatars.
While others will not assume what's in the avatar is the one he's working on.
Yeah - that also


It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

Image

Post Reply