Loch Ness monster?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Sidcar
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 SE (20th Anniversary) and Squire RX4 sidecar

Loch Ness monster?

Post by Sidcar » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:08 pm

Prior to spoiling my day by topping the Wing up with diesel I had a great day at the Brooklands Museum ( brooklandsmuseum.com ). I went there last year but a lot of the aircraft exhibits were in storage whilst the their hanger was rebuilt and restored.
The hanger is devoted to aircraft produced at Brooklands, the main exhibit being a Wellington bomber.
This aircraft was made at Brooklands in 1939, was lucky to survive one of the first raids of the war when eleven Wellingtons out of a force of twenty two were shot down and crashed into Loch Ness after an engine failure in 1940. It was discovered there by an American team searching for the Loch Ness Monster in 1976 and fished out the Loch in 1985. Apparently when they hooked up a new battery the tail light still worked.
Amongst the many other aircraft there is the prototype Harrier, Hawker Fury biplane and a Hurricane that served with the RAF before being shipped to Russia were it was shot down.
That visit was my second and I still haven't seen it all.
Pictures coming in two posts.

Sid
Attachments

Sadanorakman
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 SE

Re: Loch Ness monster?

Post by Sadanorakman » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:56 am

Amazing, awe-inspiring engineering. Thank you for posting.
There are two types of people in this world, those that can extrapolate from incomplete data,

brettchallenger
Motorcycle: 1978 Triumph Tiger TR7 (sold)
2000 Honda GL1500 SE
1985 MZ ETZ250 (a cold war special) - sold
2015 Jawa 350 (2-stroke).

Re: Loch Ness monster?

Post by brettchallenger » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:20 am

Prior to spoiling my day by topping the Wing up with diesel
This has always been a fear of mine, I have done it a couple of times the other way round in cars, though a bit of petrol in a diesel car doesn't usually stop it working. Of course it is nigh impossible to top up a petrol car with diesel as the fuel filler neck is too small on petrol engined cars (unless it is very old) to accommodate a diesel pump nozzle. Alas, this safeguard isn't there on Wings, or indeed most motorcycles.
Never trust a nation whose armed forces goose-step