Installing sidecar

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
eblevins
Motorcycle: 82 honda goldwing aspencade, 85 honda 700 night hawk,76 kz 750b kawasaki

Installing sidecar

Post by eblevins » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:20 pm

Just bought a new sidecar from great sports inc. it is the classical rocketeer sidecar. The instructions for installing unit is very vague, and this is new to me,I have never even seen how a sidecar is supposed to be attached. Does anyone have any pictures and advice to help me to safely attach my sidecar. My 6 year old grandson will be riding in this thing and his safety is my main concern.please help.l should add my bike is a 1500 goldwing se

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Re: Installing sidecar

Post by Bluewaterhooker0 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:02 pm

I was wondering what kind of company would sell such a product without extensive installation instructions, as the safety and liability issues would be humongous. So, I did a simple Google search of "Great Sports, Inc." The results are NOT promising. They have a slew of complaints, as well as the AG of Illinois suing them for multiple problems. If you are truly concerned with your grandson's safety, as well as your own, you might try finding a sidecar from a reputable dealer. I suspect you will find that a 'reputable' dealer also will not sell a sidecar without it being installed by the dealer. The installation process would be rather critical for such a product.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Post by dingdong » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:12 am

Try the manufacturer for assistance.

http://www.rtsidecars.com/RocketTeer-Sc ... -s/106.htm
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Post by tamathumper » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:23 am

Funny, just listened to a podcast by Adventure Rider Radio yesterday about sidecars, and all the interesting aspects like "lead" and "flying the car". It covered the mounting to different bikes and the dangers associated with the "universal" mounts that basically mean they universally don't fit anything very well.

I wouldn't take a chance on it if it's not clearly laid out and hasn't been done successfully on your model bike many, many times.

'03 GL1800A | Porsche 968 | Ford F-150 | Skidoo GSX (2) | Seadoo GTI (2) | Suzuki ATV (2)
A.A.O.N.M.S. | NRA Endowment | Gun Owners of America | Oath Keepers