Proud New Owner

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
DougEFresh1123
Motorcycle: 2002 Honda Magna VF750
1994 Honda Goldwing 1500SE

Proud New Owner

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:47 am

So I finally added a GL1500SE to my motorcycle garage. There is some debate as to the year of my particular model and I'm hoping you can all help me figure out the actual year. I bought it from a friend and he said it was a 1996 even though the title says 1994. I asked him and he said when he bought it used the title said it was a 1996 and he's not sure why his said 1994. Even the owners manual says 1994, which I will admit I haven't read through the manual yet. Please give me a break, after getting home with the new addition to the stable I had to make room in the garage. Dinner time arrived rather quickly and time to watch the disappointing Chicago Bears game. If you are a Packer's fan congratulations on having a team that knows how to win. Is there a way to determine the actual year of the bike either from either the VIN number or labels somewhere on the frame?

I will say new ownership has not started off on a good note, while riding the bike home I was stopped at a red light and the engine died. Panic attack set in as I couldn't get the bike restarted, she was cranking good but not firing up. I was able to push/walk her into a gas station so I wasn't blocking traffic. Apparently my engine shut off switch is a sensitive little thing and vibrated to the off position, sensitivity became apparent when the engine died while I wasn't even on the bike yet because I needed to re-gear up. Then this morning she wouldn't start. Took a quick read of the battery and she was only putting out 11.1 volts and nothing was happening when trying to start. Yes bike was in neutral, key was in the on position and shut off switch was in the on position. Currently have her hooked up to a charger but I'm guessing she needs a new battery. As you will see in the picture my buddy upgraded to a 2010 GL1800 a couple of years ago and the GL1500 hasn't been getting much use. He did start it up every once in awhile to keep the gas flowing but probably wasn't enough to keep the battery charged and he didn't have her hooked up to a battery tender.

Looks like I will be needing a new seat. In one of the pictures I circled an area that appears to be missing a reflector, same opening on the other side so not sure, if so are they amber reflectors and how easy is it to find replacements? I do have a few other things that will need to be looked at but they can be done during the winter months. Apparently the CB never worked for my friend, while using the inter-comm the driver can't hear the passenger and there is a switch on the right handlebar, the one furthest to the right is broken and he never did know what it was supposed to control.

All pictures taken at my buddies house! Looking forward to getting her up and running and enjoying the last of the riding months in the Chicagoland area.
Attachments

'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

“We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.”
― Ronald Reagan

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red
1994 GL1500SE Pearl Bermuda Green

Re: Proud New Owner

Post by bellboy40 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:08 am

The 10th digit of the VIN tells what the year is. If it is a 94, the digit will be R. A 96 will be T. Also you should be able to see on the steering neck a plate that tells the year with the VIN.

DougEFresh1123

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:10 am

Thank you, the 10th character is an R, so it is a 1994.
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

“We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.”
― Ronald Reagan

TwoTone Trike
Motorcycle: 1999 Honda GoldWing 1500se/2012 Hannigan Trike, 1953 Panhead, 1973 Electra Glide sold

Post by TwoTone Trike » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:56 pm

Congrats on your new purchase. You said that in one of the pictures that you had an area circled. Forgive me but my vision isn't what it used to be as I couldn't see a circle. Which picture is it? Again congrats.

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:04 pm

The red-circled area is in the first pic. While I don't know what's supposed to be there, mine has a chrome plate, with the rear section (where he has a reflector) is lighted. So, of the length of that area, the rear half is lighted & the front half is chrome.

In referring to other pics on the 'net, most just have a black strip for the forward half.

Here's a pic that shows this -

As for the no-start condition, the battery has to be excellent, or the bike will crank but simply will not start. That's a normal situation for GL1500's. They need a battery with lots of amps available, and at least 12.5V at rest. Anything less, and you're stymied. IF the bike spins over quickly, when you release the start button it MAY start - it's a situation where there's enough to spin the engine OR enough to fire the ignition, but not both. Sometimes releasing the start button allows the ignition to fire briefly, while the engine is still turning (but not being cranked by the battery), enough for it to start. That's a classic GL1500 "my battery is cooked" symptom.

DougEFresh1123

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:34 pm

TwoTone Trike wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:56 pm
Congrats on your new purchase. You said that in one of the pictures that you had an area circled. Forgive me but my vision isn't what it used to be as I couldn't see a circle. Which picture is it? Again congrats.
Thank you, added the picture, others are indicating there should be a plastic insert, usually black.
Attachments

'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

DougEFresh1123

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:37 pm

Mh434 wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:04 pm
As for the no-start condition, the battery has to be excellent, or the bike will crank but simply will not start. That's a normal situation for GL1500's. They need a battery with lots of amps available, and at least 12.5V at rest. Anything less, and you're stymied. IF the bike spins over quickly, when you release the start button it MAY start - it's a situation where there's enough to spin the engine OR enough to fire the ignition, but not both. Sometimes releasing the start button allows the ignition to fire briefly, while the engine is still turning (but not being cranked by the battery), enough for it to start. That's a classic GL1500 "my battery is cooked" symptom.
I was thinking a bad battery, looks like a trip to Auto Zone is in my immediate future.
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

NOVAwing
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by NOVAwing » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:16 pm

DougEFresh1123 wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:47 am
So I finally added a GL1500SE to my motorcycle garage. There is some debate as to the year of my particular model and I'm hoping you can all help me figure out the actual year. I bought it from a friend and he said it was a 1996 even though the title says 1994. I asked him and he said when he bought it used the title said it was a 1996 and he's not sure why his said 1994. Even the owners manual says 1994, which I will admit I haven't read through the manual yet. Please give me a break, after getting home with the new addition to the stable I had to make room in the garage. Dinner time arrived rather quickly and time to watch the disappointing Chicago Bears game. If you are a Packer's fan congratulations on having a team that knows how to win. Is there a way to determine the actual year of the bike either from either the VIN number or labels somewhere on the frame?

I will say new ownership has not started off on a good note, while riding the bike home I was stopped at a red light and the engine died. Panic attack set in as I couldn't get the bike restarted, she was cranking good but not firing up. I was able to push/walk her into a gas station so I wasn't blocking traffic. Apparently my engine shut off switch is a sensitive little thing and vibrated to the off position, sensitivity became apparent when the engine died while I wasn't even on the bike yet because I needed to re-gear up. Then this morning she wouldn't start. Took a quick read of the battery and she was only putting out 11.1 volts and nothing was happening when trying to start. Yes bike was in neutral, key was in the on position and shut off switch was in the on position. Currently have her hooked up to a charger but I'm guessing she needs a new battery. As you will see in the picture my buddy upgraded to a 2010 GL1800 a couple of years ago and the GL1500 hasn't been getting much use. He did start it up every once in awhile to keep the gas flowing but probably wasn't enough to keep the battery charged and he didn't have her hooked up to a battery tender.

Looks like I will be needing a new seat. In one of the pictures I circled an area that appears to be missing a reflector, same opening on the other side so not sure, if so are they amber reflectors and how easy is it to find replacements? I do have a few other things that will need to be looked at but they can be done during the winter months. Apparently the CB never worked for my friend, while using the inter-comm the driver can't hear the passenger and there is a switch on the right handlebar, the one furthest to the right is broken and he never did know what it was supposed to control.

All pictures taken at my buddies house! Looking forward to getting her up and running and enjoying the last of the riding months in the Chicagoland area.
Welcome!

Some things to check.

Kill switch:

The bike may just have a loose/bad kill switch like mine does.
Pull the throttle side switch assembly apart, check the 2 wires on the kill switch.
Mine were loose. Tightened them up, bike started right up. But, the switch was so touchy if I touched it the bike would cut off again, without even moving it to off, just touching it with my finger lol.

Opened it back up, screwed both wires to the same screw, put it all back together.
Bike starts fine now, every time.
But I have no kill switch, the key does everything.
Doesn't bother me, and many others here do it to.

Those screws are upside down and known to vibrate loose regularly.

Replacing this, like anything on the left side also, requires buying the entire switch assembly for $100 on partzilla.com.

Batteries.:
Go to Batteries plus, and buy the AGM battery, right around $100 give or take.
Regular cell batteries that came in the bike way back when are barely adequate per researching here.

Your missing fairing piece:
Yes there should be black trim there. Most of us have a chrome aftermarket plate covering that entire area.

NOVAwing
NOVAwing
1993 GL1500 Aspencade, restored from 4 years rotting outside.

“A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.”

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Post by Big Blue UK » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:23 pm

The standard fitment is a plastic trim with a reflector at the back end.
There are two covers

and

Reflectors can be replaced with light units

They can be wired up as running lights, indicators, or my favourite, both.

There is an abundance of Goldwing accessory places in the US.
Sounds like the right control had had a bashing, the right switch is cruise accelerate/resume last set speed. Even if you use cruise, you can live without this, but the kill switch needs sorting.
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

DougEFresh1123

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:30 pm

NOVAwing wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:16 pm
DougEFresh1123 wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:47 am

Welcome!
Thank you!
Some things to check.

Kill switch:

The bike may just have a loose/bad kill switch like mine does.
Pull the throttle side switch assembly apart, check the 2 wires on the kill switch.
Mine were loose. Tightened them up, bike started right up. But, the switch was so touchy if I touched it the bike would cut off again, without even moving it to off, just touching it with my finger lol.

Opened it back up, screwed both wires to the same screw, put it all back together.
Bike starts fine now, every time.
But I have no kill switch, the key does everything.
Doesn't bother me, and many others here do it to.

Those screws are upside down and known to vibrate loose regularly.
Bypassing the kill switch sounds like an easy solution, wonder if some sort of loc-tite would prevent them from backing out.
Replacing this, like anything on the left side also, requires buying the entire switch assembly for $100 on partzilla.com.
I'm assuming you are referring to the CB and or Intercom system.
Batteries.:
Go to Batteries plus, and buy the AGM battery, right around $100 give or take.
Regular cell batteries that came in the bike way back when are barely adequate per researching here.
I have a Batteries Plus right next door to the AutoZone so I can compare prices quickly!
Your missing fairing piece:
Yes there should be black trim there. Most of us have a chrome aftermarket plate covering that entire area.
Think I'll leave it as is for now and see about adding something else later on.

NOVAwing
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

DougEFresh1123

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:36 pm

Big Blue UK wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:23 pm
The standard fitment is a plastic trim with a reflector at the back end.
There are two covers

and

Reflectors can be replaced with light units

They can be wired up as running lights, indicators, or my favourite, both.

There is an abundance of Goldwing accessory places in the US.
Sounds like the right control had had a bashing, the right switch is cruise accelerate/resume last set speed. Even if you use cruise, you can live without this, but the kill switch needs sorting.
I like the idea of extra lights, running and indicators (Turn Signals), I'll have to start looking for them. Definitely need to fix the kill switch, don't need it vibrating to off while cruising down the highway. Even the cruise control is spotty, but I do have the wrist-assist tab. Will take a little time to get used to the tab under my wrist.
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

Big Blue UK

Post by Big Blue UK » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:01 pm

Proud owner eh. Hope you have biggish pockets, in case you get GoldWing fever. :)

There is a plethora of fancy mods, if you like the idea of the faring lights, you will love what people do to the sidelights, pannier lights, top box lights, number plate panel, etc, etc, etc, you have it easy, you can start off with LED's.

Reckon you will need a replacement, handlebar control, imagine there must be easily available over there.

Regarding communication, do both headsets work, have you tried switching places with the pillion. If both headsets are ok, it could be just a flylead connection.

The CB could be anything, does the control panel work, if you have not used a CB, best thing is to meet with someone who uses one and test it.
Last edited by Big Blue UK on Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DougEFresh1123

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:15 pm

Big Blue UK wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:01 pm
Proud owner eh. Hope you have biggish pockets, in case you get GoldWing fever. :)

There is a plethora of fancy mods, if you like the idea of the faring lights, you will love what people do to the sidelights, pannier lights, top box lights, number plate panel, etc, etc, etc, you have it easy, you can start off with LED's.

Reckon you will need a replacement, handlebar control, imagine there must be easily available over there.
My pockets are small! Not a huge fan of all the lights, but will consider extra turn signal lights.
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

DougEFresh1123

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:06 pm

Big Blue UK wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:01 pm

Regarding communication, do both headsets work, have you tried switching places with the pillion. If both headsets are ok, it could be just a flylead connection.

The CB could be anything, does the control panel work, if you have not used a CB, best thing is to meet with someone who uses one and test it.
Wow Big Blue, never saw the second half of your post when I first responded, now I'm feeling like an idiot, but that shall pass quickly. :lol:

in regards to the headsets working or not I'm not sure, I only passed the information along and haven't done any testing. He did give me the headsets so I can check to see if it is a headset issue or wiring issue. Although truth be told it's not high on my list since the wife and I have blue-tooth enabled helmets that are paired together and can intercom that way.

The only thing I know about the CB is my friend said when he bought the bike the CB wasn't working. I believe his new Wing has a CB so I can always try and test it out with him.
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

DougEFresh1123

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:18 am

Just a little update on my new to me 1500SE. As stated above I hooked the battery up to a battery tender last Monday the 10th and didn't ride her all week; didn't have plates yet anyway so no biggie. After getting home from work on Friday the 14th, I disconnected the battery tender and took a reading on the battery and it was reading a full charge of 13.1. Since I was in the process of testing the health of the battery I just let it sit over night to see if it would hold a charge. Woke up Saturday morning and the battery was reading 12.85 volts, in my book the battery is still good. In my opinion this is a good test because when I ride to work there is no place to plug her in and she will be sitting in the parking lot for 9 hours. Went to the DMV and did the appropriate title transfer and plates and went off on a two hour 80 mile trip. 80 miles in two hours, yep welcome to the land of Chicago! :lol:

On a side not my wife and son have named her Big Bertha, not sure if I like this name. :|
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

Big Blue UK

Post by Big Blue UK » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:17 am

One thing I must mention is the timing belts. Unless you know with absolute certainty when they were changed, I would replace them with Honda or Gates.
I rode 1500's for over 20 years, each one I bought, the same day ordered timing belts, because the belt history was not known for certain.

Big Bertha eh, I could live with that, happy wife happy life, happy son job done, and all that.

DougEFresh1123

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:28 pm

Big Blue UK wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:17 am
One thing I must mention is the timing belts. Unless you know with absolute certainty when they were changed, I would replace them with Honda or Gates.
I rode 1500's for over 20 years, each one I bought, the same day ordered timing belts, because the belt history was not known for certain.

Big Bertha eh, I could live with that, happy wife happy life, happy son job done, and all that.
I just got a copy of the Clymer Manual, I'll check into the timing belts and ask my friend if/when he had them changed. Is this the belt you are referring to - "Belt, Timing - 14401-MN5-004? I'm not a mechanical guy but I'm pretty good at following directions and looking at pictures.

Happy wife happy life - even if I agree to the name she's still not guaranteed to be happy, something about me doing to many stupid things. :shock:
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

Stew
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
2005 Honda CRF230F

Previous bikes:
2003 Honda Ruckus
1993 Honda Elite SR
1986 Honda CR125R
1979 Yamaha GT80

Post by Stew » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:23 pm

Yep that's the one, er make that two. If you haven't already, check out WingAdmin's great post on how to change them.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9774
Winging it every chance I get 8-)

19,119 miles when I got it from dad Oct 15, 2017 --- 24,532 miles and counting as of Oct 17, 2018!

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red
1994 GL1500SE Pearl Bermuda Green

Post by bellboy40 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:19 am

The how-to by WingAdmin that Stew referred to is a great place to get information on replacing the timing belts. You might want to consider getting the NAPA part # 250275 or Gates part # T275 for the timing belt instead of the ones from Honda. They will be less than half the price as getting them from the dealer for both belts for what just one belt costs from Honda. Not sure but I think Gates make the belts that Honda sells. I got mine from Amazon for about $35 with free shipping. They were the Gates belts.

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: 1980 GL-1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL-1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL-350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS-550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL-1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:01 am

Gates, Honda and Napa are all the same belt, all made by Gates. Best price found is Amazon, something like $17 each, Auto Parts stores sell them for around $40 ea and Honda is flat SPENDY!
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark

DougEFresh1123

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:27 am

Stew wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:23 pm
Yep that's the one, er make that two. If you haven't already, check out WingAdmin's great post on how to change them.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9774
Thank you Stew, I just did a quick check of his write up and I'll be referring to his write up extensively. I'm not mechanical so I'm really liking the pictures and step by step directions.
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

DougEFresh1123

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:29 am

bellboy40 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:19 am
The how-to by WingAdmin that Stew referred to is a great place to get information on replacing the timing belts. You might want to consider getting the NAPA part # 250275 or Gates part # T275 for the timing belt instead of the ones from Honda. They will be less than half the price as getting them from the dealer for both belts for what just one belt costs from Honda. Not sure but I think Gates make the belts that Honda sells. I got mine from Amazon for about $35 with free shipping. They were the Gates belts.
Thanks for the info, I've written these down so I can buy the right parts!
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

DougEFresh1123

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:32 am

DenverWinger wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:01 am
Gates, Honda and Napa are all the same belt, all made by Gates. Best price found is Amazon, something like $17 each, Auto Parts stores sell them for around $40 ea and Honda is flat SPENDY!
I just checked the website for the place I usually use and they are asking $50.86, yep that is SPENDY.
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

Big Blue UK

Post by Big Blue UK » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:02 pm

DougEFresh1123 wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:28 pm
Happy wife happy life - even if I agree to the name she's still not guaranteed to be happy, something about me doing to many stupid things. :shock:
I think your wife and my wife are twins PMSL

DougEFresh1123

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:06 pm

Big Blue UK wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:02 pm
DougEFresh1123 wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:28 pm
I think your wife and my wife are twins PMSL
i honestly think all woman are related. :?: :lol:

'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan