WHEN NEW BATTERY IS CONNECTED, LIGHTS COME ON


Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
FreeSwede
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:17 pm
Location: Apple Valley, Utah
Motorcycle: 1995 Goldwing GL 1500 SE with Roadsmith Trike Conversion
1989 Goldwing GL 1500
1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
2004 Honda Shadow 1100

WHEN NEW BATTERY IS CONNECTED, LIGHTS COME ON

Post by FreeSwede » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:59 am



I replaced my old battery in my 1995 GL 1500 SE with the sealed AGM type. Easy, right? Take out old battery, put in new battery, connect battery cables from bike to the correct terminals on the battery. That is what I did, and all the lights came on. I was surprised and thought immediately I must have left the ignition in the on position. But the ignition was OFF and the key wasn't even in it. I repeated the entire process several times, and sure enough, I connect the cables to the terminals, and all the lights come on. I'm an older guy and not much of a mechanic. Can anyone out there tell me what's happening and what to do? Thanks !



User avatar
Asphaltmaniac
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:57 am
Location: Sparks Nevada
Motorcycle: 2006 1800 bought new out of the box...Now has 195K Love this bike!!!!!

Re: WHEN NEW BATTERY IS CONNECTED, LIGHTS COME ON

Post by Asphaltmaniac » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:43 am

All the factory lights including the headlamps???

User avatar
virgilmobile
Posts: 8703
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:39 pm
Location: Denham Springs,La.
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: WHEN NEW BATTERY IS CONNECTED, LIGHTS COME ON

Post by virgilmobile » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:36 am

Strange...Pull #3 relay and try again.

User avatar
virgilmobile
Posts: 8703
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:39 pm
Location: Denham Springs,La.
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: WHEN NEW BATTERY IS CONNECTED, LIGHTS COME ON

Post by virgilmobile » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:39 am

Is there any chance that a wire was left off the battery post..like an additional ground or hot wire?

User avatar
Big Blue UK
Posts: 528
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:18 pm
Location: Staffordshire UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Re: WHEN NEW BATTERY IS CONNECTED, LIGHTS COME ON

Post by Big Blue UK » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:32 pm

so you re installed the old battery, and it was normal each time, and the lights only come on when you connect the AGM, or do the lights come on now, regardless of which battery you connect.
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

FreeSwede
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:17 pm
Location: Apple Valley, Utah
Motorcycle: 1995 Goldwing GL 1500 SE with Roadsmith Trike Conversion
1989 Goldwing GL 1500
1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
2004 Honda Shadow 1100

Re: WHEN NEW BATTERY IS CONNECTED, LIGHTS COME ON

Post by FreeSwede » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:46 pm

Asphaltmaniac wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:43 am
All the factory lights including the headlamps???
Yes, All the factory lights, including headlamps and dash lights.

FreeSwede
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:17 pm
Location: Apple Valley, Utah
Motorcycle: 1995 Goldwing GL 1500 SE with Roadsmith Trike Conversion
1989 Goldwing GL 1500
1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
2004 Honda Shadow 1100

Re: WHEN NEW BATTERY IS CONNECTED, LIGHTS COME ON

Post by FreeSwede » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:47 pm

Big Blue UK wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:32 pm
so you re installed the old battery, and it was normal each time, and the lights only come on when you connect the AGM, or do the lights come on now, regardless of which battery you connect.
No, I did not re-install the old battery, as I left it for disposal at the NAPA shop where I bought the new AGM battery. But that sounds like a good idea, to try it with a different battery.

FreeSwede
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:17 pm
Location: Apple Valley, Utah
Motorcycle: 1995 Goldwing GL 1500 SE with Roadsmith Trike Conversion
1989 Goldwing GL 1500
1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
2004 Honda Shadow 1100

Re: WHEN NEW BATTERY IS CONNECTED, LIGHTS COME ON

Post by FreeSwede » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:50 pm

virgilmobile wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:39 am
Is there any chance that a wire was left off the battery post..like an additional ground or hot wire?
There are no additional wires or cables on the battery posts, other than the two lines to the battery maintainer. I took them completely off, and all the lights still went on when re-attached the bike battery cables to the battery terminals.

FreeSwede
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:17 pm
Location: Apple Valley, Utah
Motorcycle: 1995 Goldwing GL 1500 SE with Roadsmith Trike Conversion
1989 Goldwing GL 1500
1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
2004 Honda Shadow 1100

Re: WHEN NEW BATTERY IS CONNECTED, LIGHTS COME ON

Post by FreeSwede » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:52 pm

virgilmobile wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:36 am
Strange...Pull #3 relay and try again.
THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTION. I'LL GIVE IT A TRY WHEN I GET HOME FROM WORK.

User avatar
Big Blue UK
Posts: 528
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:18 pm
Location: Staffordshire UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Re: WHEN NEW BATTERY IS CONNECTED, LIGHTS COME ON

Post by Big Blue UK » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:04 pm

I know the AGM is just a lead acid in a tux, I cannot see how it could be the battery. Only thing that makes sense is something come adrift when you changed the battery, but.......
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

User avatar
Charlie1Horse
Posts: 403
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:35 pm
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Re: WHEN NEW BATTERY IS CONNECTED, LIGHTS COME ON

Post by Charlie1Horse » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:05 pm

+1 on Virgilmobile's idea. Sounds like maybe you got a small spark when removing the old battery or installing the new one and caused the relay to stick. Take the relay cover off and try tapping on the relays with a screwdriver handle to see if one is stuck.
Russell

Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.

FreeSwede
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:17 pm
Location: Apple Valley, Utah
Motorcycle: 1995 Goldwing GL 1500 SE with Roadsmith Trike Conversion
1989 Goldwing GL 1500
1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
2004 Honda Shadow 1100

Re: WHEN NEW BATTERY IS CONNECTED, LIGHTS COME ON

Post by FreeSwede » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:46 pm

Charlie1Horse wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:05 pm
+1 on Virgilmobile's idea. Sounds like maybe you got a small spark when removing the old battery or installing the new one and caused the relay to stick. Take the relay cover off and try tapping on the relays with a screwdriver handle to see if one is stuck.
Russell

Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.
Yes, I actually did create a small spark when I was installing the new battery and my screwdriver slipped. Good deductive analysis ! Thanks much.

User avatar
wingdings
Posts: 301
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:48 pm
Location: mells , England, United Kingdom
Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing gl 1989

Re: WHEN NEW BATTERY IS CONNECTED, LIGHTS COME ON

Post by wingdings » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:59 pm

Is your bike a USA - import bike ??- Mine is a1989 k-wing model and the lights stay on all the time on that too !! - have you got a lights on / off switch??- on euro models they have -its located on the left hand handle bar switch gear its sliding switch button if its not there odds on you have a USA - import bike !! they also made a Swedish version too !! check your vin plate code located on the right hand side head stock that will confirm it too or check with your local dealer he may still have some service history about your bike too I did this and the honda dealer found most of the service history too !! ..

FreeSwede
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:17 pm
Location: Apple Valley, Utah
Motorcycle: 1995 Goldwing GL 1500 SE with Roadsmith Trike Conversion
1989 Goldwing GL 1500
1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
2004 Honda Shadow 1100

Re: WHEN NEW BATTERY IS CONNECTED, LIGHTS COME ON

Post by FreeSwede » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:43 pm

Thanks for your reply. I've been riding this bike for about five years and have a few other batteries, but none of the previous batteries produced this problem.
There is no lights on-off switch. Normally, all the lights go on when you turn the key on, and go off when you turn the key off. Until now. Just connecting the battery cables to the terminals turns on all the lights, even if there is no key even in the ignition.

User avatar
MikeB
Posts: 2271
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:54 pm
Location: Tacoma, WA
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Re: WHEN NEW BATTERY IS CONNECTED, LIGHTS COME ON

Post by MikeB » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:09 pm

Remove Relay #3 and see if the issue goes away.




MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

User avatar
Asphaltmaniac
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:57 am
Location: Sparks Nevada
Motorcycle: 2006 1800 bought new out of the box...Now has 195K Love this bike!!!!!

Re: WHEN NEW BATTERY IS CONNECTED, LIGHTS COME ON

Post by Asphaltmaniac » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:20 am

FreeSwede wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:43 pm
Thanks for your reply. I've been riding this bike for about five years and have a few other batteries, but none of the previous batteries produced this problem.
There is no lights on-off switch. Normally, all the lights go on when you turn the key on, and go off when you turn the key off. Until now. Just connecting the battery cables to the terminals turns on all the lights, even if there is no key even in the ignition.
Ignition key switch problem then???

User avatar
wingdings
Posts: 301
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:48 pm
Location: mells , England, United Kingdom
Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing gl 1989

Re: WHEN NEW BATTERY IS CONNECTED, LIGHTS COME ON

Post by wingdings » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:35 pm

hi - sounds to me like it may be a bad ground earth then - I check around the wiring that you disturbed when you changed the battery look for any chaffing in the wires and defo try a new number 3 relay too !! Virgil mobile is a legend on here - he's usually never wrong along also with mike b - both have helped me loads in the past with my wing !! :D :D :D ...

User avatar
virgilmobile
Posts: 8703
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:39 pm
Location: Denham Springs,La.
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: WHEN NEW BATTERY IS CONNECTED, LIGHTS COME ON

Post by virgilmobile » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:00 pm

wingdings wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:35 pm
Virgil mobile is a legend on here - he's usually never wrong along also with mike b - D :D :D ...
Awwwww. How nice...thanks for the moral boost...

I use the "KISS" method...and root cause analysis.

FreeSwede
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:17 pm
Location: Apple Valley, Utah
Motorcycle: 1995 Goldwing GL 1500 SE with Roadsmith Trike Conversion
1989 Goldwing GL 1500
1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
2004 Honda Shadow 1100

Re: WHEN NEW BATTERY IS CONNECTED, LIGHTS COME ON

Post by FreeSwede » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:00 pm

wingdings wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:35 pm
hi - sounds to me like it may be a bad ground earth then - I check around the wiring that you disturbed when you changed the battery look for any chaffing in the wires and defo try a new number 3 relay too !! Virgil mobile is a legend on here - he's usually never wrong along also with mike b - both have helped me loads in the past with my wing !! :D :D :D ...
Thanks much .... I'm working on it. Got slowed down by a really large flash flood that washed away half of my landscaping. I live in Utah's southern high desert.

User avatar
virgilmobile
Posts: 8703
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:39 pm
Location: Denham Springs,La.
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: WHEN NEW BATTERY IS CONNECTED, LIGHTS COME ON

Post by virgilmobile » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:04 pm

Ouch...I understand flash floods...Two years ago one took 90% of everything I had.

User avatar
MikeB
Posts: 2271
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:54 pm
Location: Tacoma, WA
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Re: WHEN NEW BATTERY IS CONNECTED, LIGHTS COME ON

Post by MikeB » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:26 am

wingdings wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:35 pm
hi - sounds to me like it may be a bad ground earth then - I check around the wiring that you disturbed when you changed the battery look for any chaffing in the wires and defo try a new number 3 relay too !! Virgil mobile is a legend on here - he's usually never wrong along also with mike b - both have helped me loads in the past with my wing !! :D :D :D ...
Thanks for the flowers wingdings. I try to help when I can. And you are right about Virgil, he is always spot on. Wish I had his record of being right. I get it wrong about 25% of the time.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

User avatar
wingdings
Posts: 301
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:48 pm
Location: mells , England, United Kingdom
Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing gl 1989

Re: WHEN NEW BATTERY IS CONNECTED, LIGHTS COME ON

Post by wingdings » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:10 pm

Well Mike and Virgil - I can only say a big thankyou to you both for all the help you have both given me over the past few years its people like your selves that make this site what is - A great place to go and share your wing problems with fellow wingers who have the same passion as yourself too - It would be nice if the site gave some sort of award or something !! - Yes ?? If they did you would defo both get my vote !! - lol . again many thanks too .. :D :D :D :D :D

User avatar
virgilmobile
Posts: 8703
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:39 pm
Location: Denham Springs,La.
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: WHEN NEW BATTERY IS CONNECTED, LIGHTS COME ON

Post by virgilmobile » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:54 pm

The award is allowing us to post our opinions...
It's all good.

User avatar
Ravyn
Posts: 250
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:52 pm
Location: Wa....
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800, 2000 Kawasaki w650, 2010 Yamaha xt250, 1972 Honda ct-90 dual range tranny, 1968 Honda Express 102 original miles, 1982 Honda cx500 custom, 1972 Bultaco Alpina,
1980 Honda cx500 turbo..."for sale" My latest bike is a 1994 GL1500SE, side car rig.

Re: WHEN NEW BATTERY IS CONNECTED, LIGHTS COME ON

Post by Ravyn » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:33 am

FreeSwede wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:00 pm
wingdings wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:35 pm
hi - sounds to me like it may be a bad ground earth then - I check around the wiring that you disturbed when you changed the battery look for any chaffing in the wires and defo try a new number 3 relay too !! Virgil mobile is a legend on here - he's usually never wrong along also with mike b - both have helped me loads in the past with my wing !! :D :D :D ...
Thanks much .... I'm working on it. Got slowed down by a really large flash flood that washed away half of my landscaping. I live in Utah's southern high desert.
Well FreeSwede, did you ever get the problem figured out ? Or did I miss something somewhere ?

FreeSwede
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:17 pm
Location: Apple Valley, Utah
Motorcycle: 1995 Goldwing GL 1500 SE with Roadsmith Trike Conversion
1989 Goldwing GL 1500
1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
2004 Honda Shadow 1100

Re: WHEN NEW BATTERY IS CONNECTED, LIGHTS COME ON

Post by FreeSwede » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:12 pm

Ravyn wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:33 am
FreeSwede wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:00 pm
wingdings wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:35 pm
hi - sounds to me like it may be a bad ground earth then - I check around the wiring that you disturbed when you changed the battery look for any chaffing in the wires and defo try a new number 3 relay too !! Virgil mobile is a legend on here - he's usually never wrong along also with mike b - both have helped me loads in the past with my wing !! :D :D :D ...
Thanks much .... I'm working on it. Got slowed down by a really large flash flood that washed away half of my landscaping. I live in Utah's southern high desert.
Well FreeSwede, did you ever get the problem figured out ? Or did I miss something somewhere ?
THANKS SO VERY MUCH TO EVERYONE WHO HAS GIVEN ME ADVICE ON HOW TO TRY AND FIND WHAT IS CAUSING MY BATTERY LIGHT PROBLEM. I APOLOGIZE FOR NOT POSTING MY THANKS EARLIER. I still have my problem, because I have not been able to work on it. I got surprised with having to spend some time in the hospital. Things have turned out okay so far, and I'm scheduled to be released on Wednesday, Oct. Wednesday, Oct 10th. I'll be back working on my Goldwing 1500 the very next day. Thanks to all of you again.



Post Reply