Questions and advice needed on drink holders

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
NOVAwing
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade

Questions and advice needed on drink holders

Post by NOVAwing » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:59 pm

Hey gang,

So I am pretty much decided I am going to buy the overpriced Drink butler in 32oz.

Then right before I ordered it I looked closely at the pics I could find of it on GL1500's.

That thing is YUGE.
Good for my drink.
Bad for my view and access to dash.

Now I'm thinking I won't like that all up in my way like that.

Can it be mounted anywhere else?

If you look close at my pic below, you can see I currently have an old car door cup holder screwed into the faring mount, under the left faring pocket.

I do not have a CB, but I'm about to install the power plate knock out from Cyclemax/showchrome so I have USB ports/cig lighter, and some switches for the future.
The car door cup holder has to go away.

Any ideas, or advice, or other good insulated cup holder products I should look into?

Thanks,
NOVAwing
Attachments

NOVAwing
1993 GL1500 Aspencade, restored from 4 years rotting outside.

“A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.”

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Re: Questions and advice needed on drink holders

Post by Big Blue UK » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:13 pm

That is about the best place I have seen one mounted, lid with a straw is also the best anti splash one handed cup solution
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:58 pm

If you like having big drinks with you on the bike, I guess a big cup holder is what you need.

Me, I am happy with a normal 16 oz bottle of water or a 16 oz cup of coffee.

This works for me:

Cup holder folded when not in use (which is pretty much never).

Contigo coffee cup in the holder.

The cup holders are pretty inexpensive, maybe $20 from Amazon.
The mount plate I use is made of Lexan because it is virtually unbreakable and flexible.
I tried a metal plate for a while but the holder bounced too much and shook the contents out of container so I went back to Lexan.

I have broken one or two of the cup holders in the past 20 years or so, not the mount plates, and found replacements at Wal Mart or Pep Boys in the RV accessory sections of the stores for under $10.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Post by Bluewaterhooker0 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:26 pm

I have the Kruzer Kaddy style of holder, and am very happy with it. The version I have is the chrome with leather wrapped around the center. I actually thought the leather would be an issue in no time, but it has held up well for several years now with no problem. I would probably do the black powder coat version if ordering new, because the chrome requires some maintenance to keep its finish. It holds 16oz. and 20oz. soda bottles easily. I sometimes also use a Bubba insulated cup 16oz. It also serves well as a misc. holder of anything I need handy, and nothing ever bounces out of the holder, even after hitting sizeable bumps. You need the "switch mount" style to attach to either the clutch or brake mount on the bars. And it looks like something other than a plastic boat drink holder screwed to a motorcycle.
Available at Amazon and elsewhere.
Kruzer Kaddy 800 Black Powder Coat
Attachments

RockportDave
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE

Post by RockportDave » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:39 pm

Bluewaterhooker0 wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:26 pm
I have the Kruzer Kaddy style of holder, and am very happy with it. The version I have is the chrome with leather wrapped around the center. I actually thought the leather would be an issue in no time, but it has held up well for several years now with no problem. I would probably do the black powder coat version if ordering new, because the chrome requires some maintenance to keep its finish. It holds 16oz. and 20oz. soda bottles easily. I sometimes also use a Bubba insulated cup 16oz. It also serves well as a misc. holder of anything I need handy, and nothing ever bounces out of the holder, even after hitting sizeable bumps. You need the "switch mount" style to attach to either the clutch or brake mount on the bars. And it looks like something other than a plastic boat drink holder screwed to a motorcycle.
Available at Amazon and elsewhere.
Kruzer Kaddy 800 Black Powder Coat
I like the look and style of the Kruzer Kaddy 800 in black powder coat so I just ordered one on Amazon along with the travel cup for $67 total.
Dave
1999 GL1500SE 5th Goldwing through the years

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:36 pm

Looks like a nice set up. One review I saw said that the Contigo cups do not fit in the Kruzer Kaddy. It is no doubt a good thing that you ordered the Kruzer travel cup to go along with it.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Post by C-dub » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:03 pm

I put that Kuryakyn cubby thing on my 2016 and found a 16oz double wall stainless steel Thermos at Target that fit into it after I cut a little of the internal ribs away. I had read about many others doing that. I don't drink a lot when riding and so far have planned stops after about 2-2.5 hour intervals anyway. If I'm low I just get another bottle to top it off after filling up the gas tank. For my wife, I also put the passenger cup holder from Kuryakyn that mounts to the hand holds. I got her a bigger, 24oz, double wall stainless steel thing by Contigo at Walmart. I've had mine for a few months and hers for a little over a month with a couple short rides and she likes it so far.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by themainviking » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:47 am

I have the folding one that MikeB has, and have had it for about eight years, which is as long as I have owned a Goldwing. Prior to that I did not require a cup holder, because I rode Harleys, which do not need drinks on the bike, as there are all those coffee shops that must be visited. :lol: I have not yet broken the cup holder, which I paid $12 for at a Wing Ding event. I have the metal mounting plate and nothing has ever bounced out of the arms, so good to go for me. I usually just put a 16 ounce take out coffee in it.

It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey