Replacing Front Tire on Trike

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
okie2ee
Motorcycle: 1992 Honda Goldwing 1500 Interstate
1986 Yamaha V-Max
1994 Yamaha V-Max

Replacing Front Tire on Trike

Post by okie2ee » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:06 pm

Just replaced the front tire on my trike. I utilized the forum to select a Cobra Trike Tire, AV71, 130/70R-18. Just completed the installation today and I am very pleased with the result. Totally different feel from the old Michelin tire that had been reversed. Found some stuff on Amazon called BullSnot, their motto is "nothing is slicker than BullSnot". This stuff is super slick and worked very well for mounting the tire. I also tried the Counteract glass beads for balancing. I read a number of the posts on how to install the beads and thought I had the situation well in hand.........wrong!! Those little beads definitely don't like doing the 90 degree turn on the valve stem. After blowing an unknown amount all over the place, I ended up using the tap on the valve stem with a screwdriver shaft. Slow and tedious to say the least. I used a funnel and a plastic tube to feed the beads to the valve stem. I think I got around 2 oz inside the tire. I was tempted to drill an tap a hole in the rim to use as a port to feed the beads into the tire.
I also spent alot of time polishing the front wheel. I found that using a fine brass brush with heavy duty rubbing compound removed all the surface crud and did not ruin the factory finish on the wheel.

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous

Re: Replacing Front Tire on Trike

Post by minimac » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:56 am

Next time add your beads before sealing the last bead on the tire. I'm not trying to be a smart@ss, but it works.
Last edited by minimac on Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

okie2ee
Motorcycle: 1992 Honda Goldwing 1500 Interstate
1986 Yamaha V-Max
1994 Yamaha V-Max

Re: Replacing Front Tire on Trike

Post by okie2ee » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:39 am

Placing the beads in the tire prior to mounting the last bead was on my list of things to try but I chickened out thinking I might loose them while josling the tire around. I will take the chance next time. Thanks for the suggestion.