LAtrical

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
RockportDave
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE

LAtrical

Post by RockportDave » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:28 pm

My alternator went out back in July, so after trying unsuccessfully to purchase a LAtrical alternator, I ended up using the WPS (Chinese) alternator. It looks to be well built and is holding up.
WPS (World Power Systems) is part of the WAI Global group of automotive electrical parts, which has been buying up a lot of name brand products for years.
My original alternator needs a regulator, so I purchased a LAtrical regulator. After receiving it I noticed it has a LAtrical sticker on the box and it is a Transpo brand which is made by WAI.
I don’t believe LAtrical exists anymore. I have called their number for two months and same recording. If they do exist I guess they are like everyone else, selling WAI Global parts.WAI’s web site states their manufacturing plant is in Shanghai China, but the box says “A USA Company”.
Dave

1999 GL1500SE 5th Goldwing through the years

curtm
Motorcycle: 91 GL 1500 Aspencade Anniversary Canadian Edition

Re: LAtrical

Post by curtm » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:03 am

how much was the regulator ??
Curt

RockportDave

Post by RockportDave » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:10 pm

$36 on ebay.
Got my alternator apart and the regulator isn’t easy to get out. I have one place to melt solder and it should come free.

I don’t have the equipment to check the regulator, but I checked everything else and all was good.
When I get it back together, I’ll charge the coils and spin it with a drill (850 rpm) to check for voltage.
The brushes on the old regulator look good, but the new one has new brushes already installed so I’ll use them. The bearings and windings are all good.
Dave

curtm
Motorcycle: 91 GL 1500 Aspencade Anniversary Canadian Edition

Post by curtm » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:23 pm

Would be interested to see if it works, sounds like i had the same issue, everything checks out, guessing the regulator, still have old alternator, hate to spend a bunch of money and not have it work and not worth spending $150 on rebuild when you can get a 90 amp for less.
Curt

RockportDave

Post by RockportDave » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:21 pm

We were supposed to have rain this weekend and I was going to grease rear splines and complete the alternator, but we dodged storms yesterday for a 3 hour ride and today was beautiful. Mid 80’s and low humidity, very rare here so we had to ride again.
I’ll post my results when I get to it within a few weeks I hope.
My OEM alternator has Made in Japan on it so I decided to try and fix it.
Dave