SoCalMotoGear Pathfinder LED Headlights - 2nd Generation

Reviews of Goldwing and motorcycle-related products and services
  • Sponsored Links
hebert3007
Motorcycle: 2010 gl1800 2016 CSC trike

Re: SoCalMotoGear Pathfinder LED Headlights - 2nd Generation

Post by hebert3007 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:14 pm

What is the proper headlight adjustment In your post you say proper adjustment what is the proper headlight adjustment ??? please define.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:07 am

hebert3007 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:14 pm
What is the proper headlight adjustment In your post you say proper adjustment what is the proper headlight adjustment ??? please define.
The official method involves a special calibrated chart on a wall. But you can get fairly close yourself, at least in terms of vertical alignment.

Find a LEVEL piece of ground with a wall at the end of it. Measure back from the wall 25 feet, and place the motorcycle there, with the headlight facing the wall. With the bike level (sitting on its wheels), measure from the ground to the middle of the headlight.

Then go to the wall and measure up the same distance. Mark a chalk line (or piece of paper, etc.) at that distance, and a second line two inches lower.

When the motorcycle's low beam is on, the top cutoff should be right on the lower line. That is to say, no light should be above the lower line.

If your bike has a separate adjustment for high beams, then switch them on and adjust them so that the center of the high beams lays along the upper line.

That will get you very close. You may have to make adjustments to account for load, as the bike rides slightly differently with passengers, luggage, etc, which will adjust the headlight angle (and that's the reason for the headlight adjustment knob in the first place).

Bentrider
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500 Commodore Blue

Post by Bentrider » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:02 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:57 pm
khspe2 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:15 pm
Will these LED bulbs work with a headlight modulator?
Yes! But it has to be a headlight modulator designed specifically for LED headlights. Regular headlight modulators will end up FLASHING LEDs instead of modulating them, which is illegal.

Kisan makes the LED headlight modulator that is in my bike.
WingAdmin wrote:
khspe2 wrote:
Yes! But it has to be a headlight modulator designed specifically for LED headlights. Regular headlight modulators will end up FLASHING LEDs instead of modulating them, which is illegal.

Which specific Kisan LED modulator works on a GL1500? The fitment chart says "This does not fit your vehicle" for all the models. My bike is a 1989 GL1500.

hebert3007
Motorcycle: 2010 gl1800 2016 CSC trike

Post by hebert3007 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:16 am

WingAdmin wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:07 am
hebert3007 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:14 pm
The official method involves a special calibrated chart on a wall. But you can get fairly close yourself, at least in terms of vertical alignment.

Find a LEVEL piece of ground with a wall at the end of it. Measure back from the wall 25 feet, and place the motorcycle there, with the headlight facing the wall. With the bike level (sitting on its wheels), measure from the ground to the middle of the headlight.

Then go to the wall and measure up the same distance. Mark a chalk line (or piece of paper, etc.) at that distance, and a second line two inches lower.

When the motorcycle's low beam is on, the top cutoff should be right on the lower line. That is to say, no light should be above the lower line.

If your bike has a separate adjustment for high beams, then switch them on and adjust them so that the center of the high beams lays along the upper line.

That will get you very close. You may have to make adjustments to account for load, as the bike rides slightly differently with passengers, luggage, etc, which will adjust the headlight angle (and that's the reason for the headlight adjustment knob in the first place).
Thanks now that makes sense. I will put a mark on my adjustment knob. Thanks, Bernie

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:14 pm

Bentrider wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:02 pm
WingAdmin wrote:
khspe2 wrote:

WingAdmin wrote:
khspe2 wrote:

Which specific Kisan LED modulator works on a GL1500? The fitment chart says "This does not fit your vehicle" for all the models. My bike is a 1989 GL1500.
I used the 150GW-LED modulator:

https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1500 ... ator/19141

chchrider
Motorcycle: 2012 GL 1800

Post by chchrider » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:12 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:07 am

I have lowered my bike with the product from Lower Wing in USA (front of bike was lowered as well to compensate for back being lowered) and have installed the Pathfinder L.E.D to both Low and High beam. The problem I have now is that unadjusted they were shining in the eyes of oncoming traffic and High Beam were ineffectual. I used the adjuster nut under the fairing to wind the Low beam down and now the High Beam are still ineffectual (High Beam is virtually shining at the ground in front of the bike). It has been suggested that I reinstall the original High Beam bulb. As far as I am aware there is no separate adjustment for High Beam on a 2012 Goldwing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Stew
2005 Honda CRF230F

Previous bikes:
2003 Honda Ruckus
1993 Honda Elite SR
1986 Honda CR125R
1979 Yamaha GT80

Post by Stew » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:39 pm

gt750 wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:00 pm
I am so very tired of being blinded by all manor of vehicles using new lights. It is like a lighthouse beam in my face, on low beam. On high beam, I usually get burnt! Most of the LED lights are terrible.
Yeah some of new vehicles aren't that great for oncoming drivers, even worse though is all the older cars with crappy retrofit LED or HID bulbs, some are actually just fine but most are pretty blinding. I do give motorcycles a pass on this subject though, not only because I ride but they need every advantage when it comes to seeing and being seen. I drive for a living and this time of year is especially bad since it gets dark so early and I mostly drive evening shifts.

Winging it every chance I get 8-)

19,119 miles when I got it from dad Oct 15, 2017 --- 24,532 miles and counting as of Oct 17, 2018!