Honda disgraced themselves with the 2018 Goldwing

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2018+)
  • Sponsored Links
Jos59
Motorcycle: Gl 1000 K2 1978 with Squire ST2 sidecar

Re: Honda disgraced themselves with the 2018 Goldwing

Post by Jos59 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:40 am

olewingrider wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:06 am
I have had all the GWs too;.but the 05 was the newest electrical nightmare for me. I just got the 2019 GW 1200 . looks like a 84. simple to work on like a 84. :lol:
Thats a GW...like it!

olewingrider
Motorcycle: 1984 Honda GL1200A

Post by olewingrider » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:23 am

yes,i couldn't turn it down for $500 . I moved back home 6 yrs ago after being gone 23 yrs.i met the owner of this bike then while out riding our 1500. he said he always wanted a wing and will go find one now so that I can show him the ropes ? anyway,he bought this from estate of original owner who just had the bike stripped and repainted.new tires,oils. brakes.battery and windshield.it has 120,000 kms on it, he tried riding it twice,dropping it both times in his garage .( it was delivered to him ) so the last 5 yrs I keep bugging him to sell me the bike.He finally agreed too. came with matching 1984 Helmets.cover.manuals and all receipts spent on it since new. I probably wont ride it much.but my eldest son says he will?I gave my 73 Norton to youngest son.

Jos59
Motorcycle: Gl 1000 K2 1978 with Squire ST2 sidecar

Post by Jos59 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:23 am

This is my GL 1000 1978, still happy with it.

ZAN
Motorcycle: 1998 Valkyrie, 1988 Softail Heritage, 1985 V65 Sabre

Post by ZAN » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:23 pm

jgarrett wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:14 am
olewingrider wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:06 am
I have had all the GWs too;.but the 05 was the newest electrical nightmare for me. I just got the 2019 GW 1200 . looks like a 84. simple to work on like a 84. :lol:
That's because it is a 1984. lol
Now that's a great looking bike! Wish I could go buy a new one just like it. I actually wrote & called Honda and asked them to make a new "Silverwing" and use the 1200 engine for those of us who only need to go 120 mph (instead of 180) and like getting 40+ miles per gallon. Hats off to your "new" bike!
You say you only need to go 120, so make a 1200? You say that as if the new Wing could do 180, when it wont even do 120!
I feel the Need...The need for Speed

doxbike
Motorcycle: 2018 gl1800bd the "Bagger", and 2008 Suzuki B-king-the "Beast'

Post by doxbike » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:02 pm

For Cripes Sake, give it a rest- you don't like it? So don't buy it. I had a gl1500 and it was OK, had a ST1300 and it was OK, this new GW is exactly like those 2 mated and had an offspring. It's exactly what I was looking for. I've had a myriad of bikes from scooters to Adv bikes to cruisers, to Beasts, to tourers and tastes change. Buy what fills your taste- don't knock what others find enjoyable

bryanw1
Motorcycle: 2001 Goldwing 1800
2017 Goldwing 1800

Post by bryanw1 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:13 pm

capttwb wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:20 am
The new 2018 Wing is a vastly superior motorcycle compared to the older Wings. With each generation, they have improved and this new version is no exception. As for the electronics in all reality we motorcyclists would be better off if we did not have those distractions. If you don't put 100% of your concentration on your surroundings 100% of the time you risk your life and limbs. Texters and deer are so unpredictable you need every sense you have to avoid them.

I love the superb new 6-speed transmission, the great ride, the much better handling, and the brakes are just fantastic. All in all this new Goldwing is a delight to ride.

If you have to have all the electronics you should be driving something with a little more protection like a car or truck. After all, a motorcycle was always meant to be ridden like a motorcycle not driven in luxury like an automobile.
I can't disagree with most of this because it is opinion, and everyone has their own. However, the last statement is stated as fact. Who always meant a motorcycle to be ridden like a motorcycle and not driven in luxury like an automobile? I've never felt that way. As I look through the evolution of the motorcycle, I see three predominant trends: Economy; performance; comfort. Some companies, like Ducati, have specialized in one category. Some, like Harley, Honda, Indian etc., have tried to be in all of the markets in one way or another. But the idea that motorcycles should somehow be uncomfortable or non-luxurious, seems to go against the trend of the last 100 years. Before the early 70's bikes were those things by necessity. But the push has always been to improve comfort and convenience in tour bikes. I still see the crowd headed for Rolling Thunder who feel like the adventure comes in shaking, dripping oil, and having to tie the bedroll to the ape hangers because there is nowhere else, and I think it's a valid desire. Hell, they're all valid. But there is still a large market, me included, that ride because we love riding motorcycles, go long distances, and have no desire to re-enact Easy Rider. I'll vote for luxury and performance any time. Since having blue tooth capability, we can be gone for much longer periods, and usually our clients don't even know we're not home. Running I-80 across Wyoming and Nebraska is made way more tolerable with a nice audio system in the helmet, or the ability to carry on a conversation. The attention diversions of fiddling with electronics could be solve easily. You simply make the system totally voice activated. My phone does it. "Honda, turn on CB." "Honda, scan FM channels".

The strangest thing I've seen this year is the banter going on about the "Old Goldwingers". It has always been there from riders in performance or retro categories, but now it is happening within the Goldwing, or touring community. Political parties are splitting apart, and now it appears our own sport is doing the same. Apparently Honda has made a decision to abandon the "Old Goldwinger" market, which before this year was the only Goldwinger market, and that's okay. It's their company and they can do anything they want. I was offended at first by being not wanted by them as a customer, but I'm over it. I've ridden GW's since 1979 so it will be a big adjustment to move on to a company that still wants my business, but I'll make it alright. There are plenty companies that do, and have products that are at least equal to Honda's.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:05 am

won't bother with a picture,
but for great miles per gallon,
my little Piaggio MP3 scooter gets 72 mpg fairly regularly, and with good comfort....

no FM radio, or Navi, but it does have an Automatic Transmission,
so, I guess I am good to go.... ;)
~John

stevielorenzo
Motorcycle: Two 1984 GL 1200 Standards.

Post by stevielorenzo » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:24 am

Ha ha. That's all you've got to complain about? The com system, and only room for three days worth of whatever for two people? If you need more than that, why not buy a van? Or one of those giant motor homes? Still indestructible Goldwing running gear? That's what counts for me. Reliability and performance. The music I listen to is my bike. And I'm not talking, I'm paying attention to the road and little things like road bumps that might mess up my bike. A change of clothes, water, and maybe a bite to eat used to get me cross country in under three days if I was in a hurry, or much less if I was just enjoying the scenery. Of course, I'm a minimalist when it comes to bikes. I've had a lot of Goldwings. Used to love the baggers. Then I rode a gl1200 Standard. Boing! That was it. I've since owned about 10 Standards, and still have two. There's no other bike I'd want to have (except maybe for the FB6). I gave a Valkyrie a go a few years ago, but at the end of the day it couldn't touch my gl1200's. For me, being a biker (or motorcycle enthusiast if you prefer) is not about weighting down my bike with junk and dragging a motel room and an armoire around everywhere I go. For me, as long as the running gear is tight and dependable Honda will never disgrace themselves.

Lee Ving
Motorcycle: 2014 F6b Deluxe

Post by Lee Ving » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:57 am

If you have to have all the electronics you should be driving something with a little more protection like a car or truck. After all, a motorcycle was always meant to be ridden like a motorcycle not driven in luxury like an automobile.
[/quote]

This

TWOWHEELCOWBOY
Motorcycle: 2018 HONDA GOLD WING TOUR DCT /AIR BAG

Post by TWOWHEELCOWBOY » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:12 am

Hi all sorry took so long to get this info out but here is the latest and greatest on the 2018 Goldwing DCT/airbag. After taking delivery of the bike I rode the four corners of the United States close to 14,000 miles. The bike was absolutely fantastic. To take photos most of the turnaround and state parks are gravel roads can’t say enough for the Walk / forward and reverse worked flawless. I know there’s been a lot of negative comments on the new wing but until you actually get out and ride this thing thousands of miles you cant really appreciate what Honda has done. I’ll give you a brief description riding through Flagstaff Arizona early in the morning I spot a brand new six cylinder BMW up a head of me I close the throttle with a touch of the switch on the right handlebar I switch into sports mode, which changes my horse power, brakes, and shift pattern of the transmission within two turns I catch the BMW and we have a good race through the mountains which the new wing eventually said bye-bye to the BMW. At that point I felt pretty good about the new Wing. Then there’s all of the other features that make this bike stand out from no other like making a phone call at 70 miles an hour with your shield up and the people can hear you crystal-clear. Receiving texts while you’re going down the road and replying to the text works flawless radio selection FM XM radio Pandora iTunes through your Apple CarPlay all of these items we will not see on other motorcycles for a long long time . The Wing has more than adequate wind protection and with adjustable windshield work fantastic in the rain. I now have almost 15,000 miles on original tires during the trip I had to do one oil change. That in itself is a huge compliment to the new Wing that you can go on a trip that long not having any mechanical issues other than doing a oil change. I rode in weather from 36 degrees to 114 and the Wing never let me down once. I,ll be the first I to say this bike isn’t for everyone, yes the luggage is smaller, didn’t bother me matter matter of fact I boxed some close and other things l took on the trip and sent them home I had enough room to do the trip . I don’t think it’s designed to ride two up and if that your thing you might want to look at a different bike or the Gen 2 Wing. But for people to say that the bike is a disaster just simply are clueless this bike is 30 years ahead of the industry it has that much technology built into it and it’s going to take the rest of the manufacture years to catch up and have the Technology that this new 2018 Wing has. Yes the GPS has a lot of issues, I just did the latest software update via Honda Powersports website everything went smoothly and the GPS seems to be working a lot better. A lot of what I’ve read in the complaint department‘s is simply a fact that people are not taking the Time to read the manuals or to actually get out there and play with the buttons and figure it out and they’re blaming the bike when it’s operator error I’ve seen this over and over again. I have to say after hearing a lot of the whining, I,m not commenting on everyone but some of the people out there whining I don’t think belong on a motorcycle I think they belong in a minivan that’s just my opinion. I can honestly say if someone said to me you can pick any motorcycle on the planet free of charge I would pick the 2018 Goldwing I love the bike that much.
Hope this helps.
I thank Jesus for everyday I can still throw a leg over and ride :)
TWO WHEEL COWBOY

Lee Ving
Motorcycle: 2014 F6b Deluxe

Post by Lee Ving » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:29 pm

89 1500 wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:33 pm
mberk01 wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:48 pm
I agree that Honda really dropped the ball with the 2018 Goldwing. I had been waiting patiently for the 2018 Goldwing, thinking that I would trade in my '96 GL1500. The 2018 misses the mark on so many levels I ended up trading for a 2019 Harley Davidson. Here's a few of the things that are wrong with the new Honda: (1) Poorly designed infotainment system, especially the NAV system. (2) Luggage capacity inadequate. Saddle bags are a bad joke. (3) No provision for highway pegs (unless you want an ugly, expensive after-market accessory). (4) Front suspension connected to handlebars via heim joints and tie rods. Linkage geometry causes bump steer as wheel moves vertically up and down. Longevity questionable. Honda should have studied BMW's linkage. (5) Fairing protection has shrunk significantly from previous model. (6) Passenger arm rests now an add-on accesory. Appear as a cheap afterthought. (7) Cheap appearance and feel to many of the plastic body parts. (8) Engine upgrades did not translate to significant performance gains. 100 HP per liter of displacement is a reasonable and conservative expectation for a touring bike. (9) The DCT is wasted on me. I don't want another computer interfering between my brain and the bike's transmission? (10) The Drive Modes are wasted on me. If it's raining I'll make the adjustments. Likewise if I want to be sporty or economical. I don't need another computer doing that kind of thinking for me.

Honda no longer makes a long-distance touring bike. The new Goldwing is in a class by itself. It's not a touring bike, not a sport bike, not a cruiser. Honestly, I can't figure out what it's supposed to be.

The higher quality fit and finish of the Harley is immediately apparent. If you haven't ridden a 2019 Milwaukee-Eight bike you owe it to yourself. They are beautiful, powerful, sound great, ride great and handle great. The only thing I missed on my new Harley is a reverse gear. I've adapted to it and with slight behavoir modification so now it's not an issue.

Feel free to disagree with me. Please don't attack me personally. I'm just expressing my opinion.

I'm with ya 100% on this one. My friend from school owns the dealership and let me take his demo for a weekend. The wife was ready to go and packed when I got home. We had to repack pare down to get just 3 minimal days worth of gear in what little storage there is, and my cooler stayed home. Needless to say it was a rough 3 days and I was happy to get back on my 15. If I want a sport tourer it will be a Kawi Concourse 1400 which will out perform, out handle and out haul the 2018 wing and not even breath hard. I want a TOURING bike that will haul all of my gear and get me there and back. The 2018 is not it I need a trunk that will haul more than a sammich and bag of chips. Don't give a crap about infotainment,GPS or a damned automatic trans.If I don't know where I'm going I can read a map. All I need is an am/fm with an aux in, powerful enough to produce quality sound at hiway speed. When I can't shift my own I'll give it up and drive a slingsnot. Hell say what you want about how I feel about the new bike my opinion will not change. I'll stay on my 1500 till I decide Harley which I've owned a few Ultra's and Road Glides, Indian and that strange looking new Yamaha that I want some saddle time on. Pre 2018 GL isn't out of the question either All I need is to remove 2 inches of foam from the seat so I can slide back a bit more and it suits my needs well also.
Exactly. I have a C14 and was amazed at how much the new Wing emulates it. Most notably in less weather protection (arms,hands,legs soaked in the rain) and vibration. I am disappointed in the mechanical feel of the new machine. The flat 6 engine architecture has as one of its greatest strengths perfect balance in the major axes and therefore it be SMOOOTH. The examples I have ridden have felt more like a nicely built inline 4. The previous engine has a turbine like character that really shines on 12 hour days. The new engine feels unfinished and unrefined in this and many other respects. This could be due in some part to ECU settings, and might be helped with a reflash. I remember the nickel on the valve cover and the legendary build for longevity. This is what sells this type of bike long term and earns repeat business. The new bike looks beautiful and has a bunch going for it, but those things that lie under the surface are where this market is won.
Dealers around here have these for $6k off now, a testament to posts above. It is great that some people love it, and I want to see Honda succeed. I suspect Honda may have a real dilemma on their hands with respect to future sales numbers. There are at least 20 years worth of GoldWing owners who have been waiting for a worthy successor to the king of tourers who will now quietly buy something else. I know I will. By the time you have owned enough motorcycles in your life to get to the point of entertaining a $30,000 motorcycle, you have learned what a $30,000 bike should bring. I mean you look for it to bring it in a way that hits all the important points for a guy with $30,000 to spend. Fashioning your flagship for a "new" market composed of riders who are not diehard, lifelong motorcyclists? Not previous Wing owners? The disconnect here is obvious.

The previous machine was dangerously close to the perfect touring motorcycle. However, it was overweight. The brakes sucked. It was overweight. The suspension was miscalibrated to be kind. The unsprung mass up front in easily twice what it should be with the antidive. It was overweight. It was difficult to work on. In my mind Honda's job was simple (though not easy) to, at a minimum, fix the glaring deficiencies of the old bike without destroying the amazing attributes that made it king for three generations. Seems Honda didn't have the sense to recognize what those attributes were. I don't think it was deliberate as some have stated, but an oversight.

I will not buy a bike that I cannot work on myself, and Honda seems to have doubled down on the difficulty of working on this guy. I look at the points from other posters and though the brakes and ABS on the new bike are very good (hooray!), I think most other bad points remain, some have worsened, and much of what was superb about the previous gen is just gone. The new Wing is a massively complex machine, one of the great turn offs for many of us. BMW has the overengineering covered and they are the best at that. Great if you impressed by rider aids and buttons , maybe less so to live with longer term.

Honda, I hope you are reading this thread. You have a bunch of early adopters who like the bike but I'm afraid 10 years from now you'll wish you had handled this differently.

wezx
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A

Post by wezx » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:44 pm

MikeB wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:20 pm
Seriously? Too wordy for my tastes.
So you want LESS information??!! Whatever...details are great.

Ravyn
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800, 2000 Kawasaki w650, 2010 Yamaha xt250, 1972 Honda ct-90 dual range tranny, 1968 Honda Express 102 original miles, 1982 Honda cx500 custom, 1972 Bultaco Alpina,
1980 Honda cx500 turbo..."for sale" My latest bike is a 1994 GL1500SE, side car rig.

Post by Ravyn » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:31 pm

TWOWHEELCOWBOY wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:12 am
Hi all sorry took so long to get this info out but here is the latest and greatest on the 2018 Goldwing DCT/airbag. After taking delivery of the bike I rode the four corners of the United States close to 14,000 miles. The bike was absolutely fantastic. To take photos most of the turnaround and state parks are gravel roads can’t say enough for the Walk / forward and reverse worked flawless. I know there’s been a lot of negative comments on the new wing but until you actually get out and ride this thing thousands of miles you cant really appreciate what Honda has done. I’ll give you a brief description riding through Flagstaff Arizona early in the morning I spot a brand new six cylinder BMW up a head of me I close the throttle with a touch of the switch on the right handlebar I switch into sports mode, which changes my horse power, brakes, and shift pattern of the transmission within two turns I catch the BMW and we have a good race through the mountains which the new wing eventually said bye-bye to the BMW. At that point I felt pretty good about the new Wing. Then there’s all of the other features that make this bike stand out from no other like making a phone call at 70 miles an hour with your shield up and the people can hear you crystal-clear. Receiving texts while you’re going down the road and replying to the text works flawless radio selection FM XM radio Pandora iTunes through your Apple CarPlay all of these items we will not see on other motorcycles for a long long time . The Wing has more than adequate wind protection and with adjustable windshield work fantastic in the rain. I now have almost 15,000 miles on original tires during the trip I had to do one oil change. That in itself is a huge compliment to the new Wing that you can go on a trip that long not having any mechanical issues other than doing a oil change. I rode in weather from 36 degrees to 114 and the Wing never let me down once. I,ll be the first I to say this bike isn’t for everyone, yes the luggage is smaller, didn’t bother me matter matter of fact I boxed some close and other things l took on the trip and sent them home I had enough room to do the trip . I don’t think it’s designed to ride two up and if that your thing you might want to look at a different bike or the Gen 2 Wing. But for people to say that the bike is a disaster just simply are clueless this bike is 30 years ahead of the industry it has that much technology built into it and it’s going to take the rest of the manufacture years to catch up and have the Technology that this new 2018 Wing has. Yes the GPS has a lot of issues, I just did the latest software update via Honda Powersports website everything went smoothly and the GPS seems to be working a lot better. A lot of what I’ve read in the complaint department‘s is simply a fact that people are not taking the Time to read the manuals or to actually get out there and play with the buttons and figure it out and they’re blaming the bike when it’s operator error I’ve seen this over and over again. I have to say after hearing a lot of the whining, I,m not commenting on everyone but some of the people out there whining I don’t think belong on a motorcycle I think they belong in a minivan that’s just my opinion. I can honestly say if someone said to me you can pick any motorcycle on the planet free of charge I would pick the 2018 Goldwing I love the bike that much.
Hope this helps.
Well, I hope you don't mind me being a little blunt here but it sounds to me like you are the one that belongs in a mini van or a cadilac or an Infinity if you want or need all that bull sheeet on a motor cycle. used to be if we wanted sport mode we just twisted the throttle a bit more and if you need all those computerized modes at the push of a button.... well then maybe you should not even be riding a bike if you are so inept you can't control the thing yourself. go buy a computerized 4 wheeler and be happy. Just my opinion as we are all different. Pardon me for being so blunt but I think you whole response is bull crap ! Maybe you work for Honda ?

TWOWHEELCOWBOY
Motorcycle: 2018 HONDA GOLD WING TOUR DCT /AIR BAG

Post by TWOWHEELCOWBOY » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:33 pm

Your welcome to your opinion Ryan. It all depends on what kind of riding you do and how far. When you are real far from home it’s real nice having ALL THAT TECHKNOLGY, some people don’t like all the technology and that’s fine. But if you think I need all the technology to go fast you’re sadly mistaken I have a whole wall full of lifetime trophies that I Won road racing. Started out on a Yamaha RD 350 were all you had was The throttle and your balls. Won my first race on that bike so I think I’m just fine with or without the technology I except the future and love the new technology that I have on the new bikes some people can’t understand it, some people are afraid of it. And that’s ok. But since you got in such a huff over all of this something tells me you do drive a minivan. Also l did work for Honda for many years turning wrenches. Great company to work for, make some of the best motorcycles and the world. That’s why the site you’re on exist it’s mainly geared towards Honda .
I thank Jesus for everyday I can still throw a leg over and ride :)
TWO WHEEL COWBOY

Ravyn
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800, 2000 Kawasaki w650, 2010 Yamaha xt250, 1972 Honda ct-90 dual range tranny, 1968 Honda Express 102 original miles, 1982 Honda cx500 custom, 1972 Bultaco Alpina,
1980 Honda cx500 turbo..."for sale" My latest bike is a 1994 GL1500SE, side car rig.

Post by Ravyn » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:48 am

TWOWHEELCOWBOY wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:33 pm
Your welcome to your opinion Ryan. It all depends on what kind of riding you do and how far. When you are real far from home it’s real nice having ALL THAT TECHKNOLGY, some people don’t like all the technology and that’s fine. But if you think I need all the technology to go fast you’re sadly mistaken I have a whole wall full of lifetime trophies that I Won road racing. Started out on a Yamaha RD 350 were all you had was The throttle and your balls. Won my first race on that bike so I think I’m just fine with or without the technology I except the future and love the new technology that I have on the new bikes some people can’t understand it, some people are afraid of it. And that’s ok. But since you got in such a huff over all of this something tells me you do drive a minivan. Also l did work for Honda for many years turning wrenches. Great company to work for, make some of the best motorcycles and the world. That’s why the site you’re on exist it’s mainly geared towards Honda .
Hey Twowheel.....not trying to start a pissing contest but if you need to play with all the great technology by pushing buttons and texting while you ride, ahhhhhhh, more power to ya. And if you like that automatic trans well just go drive you minivan. I happen to like shifting and choosing the right gear for the situation. Like you I have a garage full of trophies dating back to 1966 when I started flattracking for many years and later moved on to vintage moto cross. I also worked for a Honda dealer for many years and that dealer sent me to the Honda Goldwing school back in 1975 when they were first introduced and when they were still a motorcycle instead of a rolling lounge chair. Now don't get me wrong here I have owned 6 wings and still own my 2002 gl1800 and a 1994 gl1500 side car rig. As far as I am concerned the 2002 1800 has to much technology and the smaller carrying capacity versus the 1500 sucks. And they went and downsized again. It's pretty obvious they are aiming for a younger crotch rocket market as us baby boomers are getting older. I did test ride one and I know that's not a good evaluation but I hated it. Ergos suck for me , and I hated that new front end. As far as long distance riding goes I put about 30,000 miles a year on my bikes. I live in Washington state and have family in Wisconsin. I ride back there twice a year and that's 2,200 miles one way and on my way home most of the time I drop south down into New Mexico and Utah before heading back up to Wisconsin, so don't talk to me about long distance riding. So go drive your mini van, aka the NEW WING, while I do some 4x4ing with my Dodge Ram 4x4.
Except for long distance trips on my 1800 or the 1500 rig the bikes I really like to ride are my Kawasaki W650 and my Yamaha XT250.
So I hope you continue to like your new 1800 as you ride down the road pushing buttons.
OH, by the way....my name is not Ryan. You maybe pushed the wrong buttons on your key board !

GoldWingRev
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500
Pull-behind trailer (my design)
1978 CB400T (Hawk II)
2017 Zero DS 6.5
2018 Tesla Model 3
2006 Acura RL

Post by GoldWingRev » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:00 am

GramKate wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:57 am
I want to thank you for bringing all of these problems to our attention. Maybe it will save others a lot of money and frustration.
For me, it was bad enough when Honda put a Garmin GPS on the 2008 GL1800 that required updates at $95.00 a pop. But to create a system that only works with Apple products put me off immediately. If they can't include Android devices, then they don't need my business. And to cut back on the size of the trunk and saddle bags - ????? If Honda wants to make a bigger crotch rocket, then make one. And stop messing with our Touring motorcycle.
Actually, I read that Google/Android is focusing on cars and didn’t want to help with the project, so that one isn’t on Honda. Only Apple was willing to help.
"It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to." (Bilbo Baggins) 🐉

GoldWingRev
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500
Pull-behind trailer (my design)
1978 CB400T (Hawk II)
2017 Zero DS 6.5
2018 Tesla Model 3
2006 Acura RL

Post by GoldWingRev » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:05 am

See, I hate all the tech on new bikes. It seems that us young folk are trying to get away from that shite. I don’t make calls on my motorcycle—that makes us no better than cagers. I tour to get away from people, my work and the like. I don’t use GPS either, but it sure is nice to have and, frankly, all these issues plus the lack of storage, the look of the bike... I was underwhelmed with the new Wing (the DCT intrigues me, since my Zero also has no shifting), but my 1500 is superior in every way apart from the carburetors. I already looked in a different touring bike, and will most likely go that direction. Sorry Honda, I love you guys but am not a fan of the new Wing.
"It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to." (Bilbo Baggins) 🐉

capttwb
Motorcycle: 2018 Honda Goldwing GL1800b

Post by capttwb » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:13 am

After reading all of these posts from folks that do not like the new Goldwing because of the lack of luggage capacity and the sparse passenger comforts I realized what I like about the new Goldwing. I bought a 2012 BMW K1600 GTL when they first came out because my 2002 Wing was just getting a bit much to really enjoy. I really liked the fact I could easily remove the BMW's side cases and top box, and replace the top box with a luggage rack and Tourmaster sissybar bag.

The wife really didn't like the Beemer, she said it wasn't as comfortable as the old Goldwing. I solved that problem by buying her a 650 single cylinder Suzuki, now she doesn't want to be a passenger anymore. We put saddle bags on her 650 and a luggage rack and a top box that is easily removable and she loves riding her own bike on our trips.

I found myself taking her 650 out of a lot on errands because it was so easy to get out of the garage and push around the driveway. She really didn't like my taking over her bike so I decided to buy a new leftover 2014 Honda CB1100 as my own "little bike'. I loved the ease of riding a bike almost half the weight of the BMW, the only thing I didn't like was the much harsher ride.

When the new 2018 Goldwing came out I was intrigued with it and took a test ride, man what a nice bike as easy to handle as the CB1100, but much better ride, much more power, and a lot more comfortable. For all the Goldwings weight it feels as light as the CB 1100. I bought one without the trunk and found myself taking it instead of the CB1100 for local errands, it's that easy to ride anywhere. My wife has even started riding it, I guess it won't be long before she gets her own.

So it occurred to me what Honda has done, they are attracting the younger riders and the women to the new Goldwing. With your "passenger" riding her own Wing you guys will have double the luggage capacity and she is having exactly the same fun as you have, riding her own Wing.

You can't blame Honda they are trying to sell all the motorcycles they can and since we have gained all these women riders, manufacturers have to downsize these huge bikes to attract the ladies. They have done a great job, I think this new Wing was really meant to be ridden solo with the passenger accommodations sort of an afterthought. Now, of course, this is just my opinion and Honda may vehemently disagree, but if you're like me I have more fun riding without a passenger. Especially when she is still with me riding her own bike. I'm sure it's not for everyone but maybe Honda knows something about the younger riders we don't.

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:46 am

Nice read. No bike can be everything to all. I have ridden the new 1800 and was pleased with it, but not enough to part with that much cash. Your assertion of the bike being what it is to attract the younger generation and ladies to the GW world has merit. You can see this from the number of women taking courses and riding their own bike. Lots of women are riding HDs, and these aren't inexpensive. The new 1800 is for the next generation of riders. Be careful, your wife is probably eyeing up your new 1800 and will soon want one herself. Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

Ravyn

Post by Ravyn » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:13 am

capttwb wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:13 am
After reading all of these posts from folks that do not like the new Goldwing because of the lack of luggage capacity and the sparse passenger comforts I realized what I like about the new Goldwing. I bought a 2012 BMW K1600 GTL when they first came out because my 2002 Wing was just getting a bit much to really enjoy. I really liked the fact I could easily remove the BMW's side cases and top box, and replace the top box with a luggage rack and Tourmaster sissybar bag.

The wife really didn't like the Beemer, she said it wasn't as comfortable as the old Goldwing. I solved that problem by buying her a 650 single cylinder Suzuki, now she doesn't want to be a passenger anymore. We put saddle bags on her 650 and a luggage rack and a top box that is easily removable and she loves riding her own bike on our trips.

I found myself taking her 650 out of a lot on errands because it was so easy to get out of the garage and push around the driveway. She really didn't like my taking over her bike so I decided to buy a new leftover 2014 Honda CB1100 as my own "little bike'. I loved the ease of riding a bike almost half the weight of the BMW, the only thing I didn't like was the much harsher ride.

When the new 2018 Goldwing came out I was intrigued with it and took a test ride, man what a nice bike as easy to handle as the CB1100, but much better ride, much more power, and a lot more comfortable. For all the Goldwings weight it feels as light as the CB 1100. I bought one without the trunk and found myself taking it instead of the CB1100 for local errands, it's that easy to ride anywhere. My wife has even started riding it, I guess it won't be long before she gets her own.

So it occurred to me what Honda has done, they are attracting the younger riders and the women to the new Goldwing. With your "passenger" riding her own Wing you guys will have double the luggage capacity and she is having exactly the same fun as you have, riding her own Wing.

You can't blame Honda they are trying to sell all the motorcycles they can and since we have gained all these women riders, manufacturers have to downsize these huge bikes to attract the ladies. They have done a great job, I think this new Wing was really meant to be ridden solo with the passenger accommodations sort of an afterthought. Now, of course, this is just my opinion and Honda may vehemently disagree, but if you're like me I have more fun riding without a passenger. Especially when she is still with me riding her own bike. I'm sure it's not for everyone but maybe Honda knows something about the younger riders we don't.
Well, I think you are partly right, but this statement.......... " They have done a great job, I think this new Wing was really meant to be ridden solo with the passenger accommodations sort of an afterthought. Now, of course, this is just my opinion and Honda may vehemently disagree, but if you're like me I have more fun riding without a passenger."
Hahhhh, not so much, at least for me.
Some women like to ride two up and some guys like it that was as well. If Honda thinks that new wing might be better off ridden solo, well then they disgraced themselves and that's the end of the flagship touring bike. Now my lady rides her bike but on long trips she likes to be on the back of wing. She gets to relax and take pics from the back seat and she doesn't have to worry about watching out for all the idiots and 18 wheelers running her off the road. And then there are those women who just don't care to ride there own or may have some disability and can't. I think Honda screwed big time. They are going to loose riders and that new wing is not enough of a crotch rocket to attract the younger generation.

vv0350
Motorcycle: 97 GL1500 SE

Post by vv0350 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:10 am

My goodness...you folks sure sound like pansy bikers.....the junk you are complaining about is just "flim flam" stuff that you do not need to enjoy RIDING a Goldwing...Had 17 bikes in my life, last two out of three were wings...NEVER even used, or wanted to use the electronic stuff...like radio, tape player...CB....etc...you do NOT need that stuff to enjoy the ride. Further, in my opinion, it is stuff to distract you from having a safe ride....So, maybe refocus on whats important and what is safe on a bike...