REMOVAL THROTTLE TWIST GRIP & THROTTLE CABLES

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Chief Tatelli
Motorcycle: 1976 GL 1000 Limited

REMOVAL THROTTLE TWIST GRIP & THROTTLE CABLES

Post by Chief Tatelli » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:13 pm

Hello,
I have a 76 GL1000 and I'm in the process of dropping the bars to 2" rise bars. I'm 6'6" with long arms so I really need this.

I disconnected all of the electrics at their connections at the front of the tank from the harnesses running through the handle bars.

I removed everything from the left side of the bars, as well as the brake reservoir from the right.

I can't find the way to remove the twist grip. This is what I'm asking about. I can't seem to be able to get the cables out of the twist grip, unless forcing it is the only way.

I think that the twist grip must have a tab fitting into a hole in the handle bar, which keeps it in place. There was a similar connection on the left. Ideally, if I can slide off the twist grip I can just slide it onto the new bars.

I don't want to disconnect the throttle cables from the carbs as I don't have the tuning skills to put them back as they were.

If the only way is to disconnect the throttle cables from the carb side, then please link me to any descriptions for that.

Can anyone guide me to a removal so I can put on my new drilled bars and get up and running.
Much thanks!

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: 1980 GL-1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL-1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL-350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS-550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL-1000 (2002-2006) sold

Re: REMOVAL THROTTLE TWIST GRIP & THROTTLE CABLES

Post by DenverWinger » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:56 am

There's throttle cable adjusters at the hand grip, loosen those to give as much slack as possible in the throttle cables and that *MAY* give you enough slack to disconnect the cables from the hand grip. If not, you will need to disconnect the "pull" cable (the one that goes tight when you twist the throttle) at the carburetors, the extra slack in the cables will make this easier. That will most certainly give enough slack to disconnect the hand grip.

None of this will affect your carburetor tuning, so don't worry about that.

When re-installing the cables, adjust them at the hand grip so there's still a little bit of slack in the cables, otherwise you'll find the throttle hard to work, and binding up on you sometimes.
They say 98% of all Hardleys ever made are still on the road..... The other 2% made it home. :lol:
(I stole this from somebody on another GW site...) :roll:

Chief Tatelli
Motorcycle: 1976 GL 1000 Limited

Re: REMOVAL THROTTLE TWIST GRIP & THROTTLE CABLES

Post by Chief Tatelli » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:25 am

This info is a big help thanks. Especially about how loosening the pull cableI will not screw up my tuning when I reinstall. Was really worried to screw with the carb connections.
I will get on this in the next days and post my results.
Have a good weekend,
M