Hip cramp

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Rwilkerson
Motorcycle: 2002 Honda Gl 1800

Hip cramp

Post by Rwilkerson » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:42 pm

I do not ride in the summer much do to the extreme heat. Today I took a ride to an open area to dial in my cb antenna. I have in the past and again today get pain in my hip (both sides cramping) and was interested in what others have to say about how they overcome this issue. Have hwy pegs and helps sometimes but would like to know if others experience this issue. What did you do to overcome it and what is a good way to resolve.

Some like to follow the masses but many lose the "m"

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Re: Hip cramp

Post by AZgl1800 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:20 am

same bike.

I installed Mick-O-Pegs www.ridingiswonderful.com

and I also have a Utopia backrest.

when my hip(s) start to hurt, I put both feet on the Mick-O-Pegs and stand up on them hard, lock my knees straight, leaning into the backrest. this raises my butt off the seat....

usually the pain goes away in about 2 minutes.....
I try to remember to not ride with my legs in one position longer than about 10 minutes, I keep shifting them back and forth.... from left foot hard, relax, then push on the right foot hard....
each time, completely straightening out that leg.

I repeat that left / right / left pressure at about 15 second intervals for several miles....

I have not rode my bike since July, too dern hot...
Friday went on a 300 mile ride with a friend.... and I had to use the above procedures to keep the pain under control...

for me, it works..... the pain goes away, I can get off and be pain free.
~John

AZgl1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:22 am

I personally installed the Dispatching System at the Laveen Fire Station....
always liked that area, very rural and lots of trees.
~John

Rwilkerson

Post by Rwilkerson » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:32 am

AZgl1800 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:22 am
I personally installed the Dispatching System at the Laveen Fire Station....
always liked that area, very rural and lots of trees.
Thanks John one of the reasons I bought here was the country feeling although it is changing rapidly. I have the Kury floor boards and does provide some relief and not riding throughout the summer has left me out of shape. I will try the shift side trick and see if the will help.

AZgl1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:45 am

I had floorboards on my 98SE

I had cramp problems on that bike also, and it was because I could not move my legs far enough to change the total position of my knees and hips.

definitely try to put full weight on one highway peg, and shift as required to try and get that leg straight.

forgot to mention, that I also do muscle tension and relaxing exercises.....
try to stretch out one leg as far as you can, hold it there for a minute, and slowly release.

my physical therapist told me after my knee was wrenched badly, that exercises done fast are useless.
he wanted me to increase muscle tension slow until that position change is complete,
then slowly relax and let off until the original position is obtained.

another thing you can do, is to get some strong Theraband elastic kits.
lay down, loop that strong band around your shoe/boot heel, and pull your heel up against your butt.

then straighten out your leg slowly until it is knee "almost locked" ( he warned to never lock our knees )
hold it there for 30 seconds, and then slowly let it return.....
he said the secret is "slowly", the slower the better.

Now, that you have those Theraband kits, double them up, and put it across your back with your hands at your shoulders. now, straighten out your elbow SLOWLY, hold, relax.... do all of these excersies 10 times at least once a day....

Note to self: get my butt back into that regimen..... I have slacked off because my knee quit hurting, and now I not as strong as I used to be.

http://www.therabandclx.com/exercises/c ... ction.html

Google: Theraband exercises, you will find a lot of hints.
~John

tamathumper
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Post by tamathumper » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:07 am

I notice you say you stand on the highway pegs, and not the foot pegs.

There are a number of posts on various forums about footpegs (and mounts) breaking off, luckily when people are mounting the bike by standing on the left side (a couple of right-side ones, too). Based on those posts I've made it a habit to never stand on the footpegs while riding, but what's the board consensus on standing up on the footpegs at speed?
'03 GL1800A | Porsche 968 | Ford F-150 | Skidoo GSX (2) | Seadoo GTI (2) | Suzuki ATV (2)
A.A.O.N.M.S. | NRA Endowment | Gun Owners of America | Oath Keepers

Rwilkerson

Post by Rwilkerson » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:07 am

tamathumper wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:07 am

There are a number of posts on various forums about footpegs (and mounts) breaking off, luckily when people are mounting the bike by standing on the left side (a couple of right-side ones, too). Based on those posts I've made it a habit to never stand on the footpegs while riding, but what's the board consensus on standing up on the footpegs at speed?
I think the thought was to use the peg (floor boards) to release some of the cramping. I have floor boards and heal toe shifters and can put all your weight on them. The highway boards are near impossible to stand on as it would require you to stand on the side of the bike, (unless you had a side car) would be a neat trick

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:12 am

Rwilkerson wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:07 am
tamathumper wrote:

I think the thought was to use the peg (floor boards) to release some of the cramping. I have floor boards and heal toe shifters and can put all your weight on them. The highway boards are near impossible to stand on as it would require you to stand on the side of the bike, (unless you had a side car) would be a neat trick
I've actually had that happen to me - not on my Wing, it a number of years ago on a friend's 900 Kawasaki. I stood up for a second to take weight off the seat as I was going over railway tracks (not much suspension on that old 70's bike) and BAM my left foot hit the ground. My butt hit the seat at pretty much the same moment, so not much really happened other than me being really surprised. I went back and found the footpeg, the weld had failed on it.

I've always looked at my footpeg welds at least once a season for that reason. And when I stand up on them (more often to get a view up over traffic, or to get some cooling air) I'm conscious of the fact "hey this could let go under my foot at any second." That way if it were to go, I wouldn't be completely taken by surprise.

offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Post by offcenter » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:10 pm

tamathumper wrote:

I had that happen on my GL-1500 last year, just as I was leaving my driveway.
I lifted my rump off the seat to reposition myself and the left footpeg went away.
That ended the day's ride in a hurry.
Found another foot peg on Ebay and was back on the road in a couple of days.
Looking at the old broken foot peg, it looked like the factory weld was
rather crappy. But it was 18 years old so I can't complain too much.
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"

dakotanator
Motorcycle: 1973 Suzuki TS185 (sold)
1981 Suzuki GS750L (sold)
1992 Suzuki 1100 Katana (sold)
1981 Honda CB900 Custom (sold)
1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Post by dakotanator » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:51 pm

Honestly.........you need to increase your intake of Magnesium. I use a powdered product called Cal-Mag. Calcium-Magnesium you just mix with water.

You have to start out slow, and work into higher doses, but your muscles are in dire need of Magnesium. Try it. It works. Don't try too much at first though, it has a tendency in the BEGINNING to uh.......loosen you up a bit.

YES.....all the different pegs, platforms, and all that does make a difference also.........but your CRAMPS or Charlie-Horses are caused by something NOT IN your body.
It's not WHAT you ride......it's THAT you ride.

Rwilkerson

Post by Rwilkerson » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:51 pm

dakotanator wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:51 pm
Honestly.........you need to increase your intake of Magnesium. I use a powdered product called Cal-Mag. Calcium-Magnesium you just mix with water.

You have to start out slow, and work into higher doses, but your muscles are in dire need of Magnesium. Try it. It works. Don't try too much at first though, it has a tendency in the BEGINNING to uh.......loosen you up a bit.

YES.....all the different pegs, platforms, and all that does make a difference also.........but your CRAMPS or Charlie-Horses are caused by something NOT IN your body.
Hell i'm low on everything

AZgl1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:56 pm

I looked into that, the "medical evidence" is a bit sparse.

https://www.nps.org.au/news/magnesium-a ... leg-cramps

however, we seem to have some of that stuff here in the house, I will try it for a while.
~John

dakotanator
1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Post by dakotanator » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:24 pm

It really does work. Since I've taken a dose just about every day that I do any hard work, I've never had any cramps or charlie horses.

Also.......after a heck of a day of lifting, shoveling fertilizer in the garden, and going up-n-down ladders while painting and oiling the house.......the next day you either don't have any muscle soreness, or very little. Not saying it's the end-all be-all, but it really makes a difference when dealing with muscle soreness.......or not.

I also plan on taking it on trips with me when doing a long distance run on the bike. The '83 Aspy is really comfortable, and I've never had issues with a decent length ride, the longest to date being 150 mi.........but I am planning on several 1000-mi. runs next spring-summer.........and it will be in my "to-go bag".

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Post by redial » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:26 am

the Vitamin c will give you a loose bowel if you overdose. I take the powdered C, about 1000mg about every 4 hours, when I have a bad cold. The dr put me onto it, and he said to slow down the intake of vit C when you get "loose". I haven't had a bad cold, so I have no need for it, anymore. The 'flu injections seem to keep the colds down to a roar.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

AZgl1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:28 am

My daughter and I didn't take the flu shots last year...., last years was off the mark so far reports were it was not working, it was ineffectual.

so I skipped it, first time in 20 years.....

we are pretty much stay at home, and I don't mix with crowds w/o a face mask.
she has taken to ordering as much as she can from Walmart if it is cheaper, and they have free shipping.

our local grocery store meets Walmart prices for things that can't be shipped, especially in the meat department, they are actually cheaper than Walmart.
we are rural, 30 miles from Tulsa.
~John

Rwilkerson

Post by Rwilkerson » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:56 am

dakotanator wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:51 pm

I took your advise and bought a bottle of Magnesium Citrate also used to help you crap not that I had any problem with that.
Anyway bought it 2 days ago, before I used it had cramps at night in my calf and feet so far none of the came back, took a hour ride with plenty of stop and go no hip cramp. Still testing but so far....... it works!

dakotanator
1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Post by dakotanator » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:29 pm

Anything that keeps us IN THE SADDLE is a good thing.!

RockportDave
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE

Post by RockportDave » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:27 pm

My hips will feel “out of socket” while riding sometimes. I find a place to get off the bike and walk around.
Had an old doctor tell me one time I needed to exercise more to keep my back and legs in shape. Told him I walk a lot at work. He said it’s not the same as “walking” for exercise. Said I needed to strengthen my stomach muscles to help relieve back and leg pain. The old guy was right.
I also don’t drink enough water throughout the day which will cause cramps and pain.
Be careful with magnesium and potassium. Too much can cause other problems.
Dave

1999 GL1500SE 5th Goldwing through the years