Some questions about getting a 1978 GL1000 running

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
TechSpeaker
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000

Some questions about getting a 1978 GL1000 running

Post by TechSpeaker » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:53 am

So I've been working on an old GoldWing I bought last November. It's my first restoration project, so I've learned quite a bit already and I wanted to say thank you to all they people here. I love this forum. It didn't run (i didn't check to see if it would turn over. Looking back, I should have.) I've pulled the engine apart and put it back together, and I'm just about ready to get it running. What do I need to do this? I've gotten the following already:

-Spark plugs; I will most likely be getting new wires
-Breaker points
-Ignition condenser
-Gaskets
-I've rebuilt the carburetors
-Replaced the timing belts
-New fuel/air filter

What else am I likely going to need?
I'm also in need of one bolt for the engine case, is there a way to buy just one? I'm not too keen on the idea of buying a set for around $50 if I don't have too...

I have a lot of pictures if anyone wants me to post them. Any other tips or advise would be appreciated.
Thanks, Phil

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Re: Some questions about getting a 1978 GL1000 running

Post by SnoBrdr » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:10 pm

TechSpeaker wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:53 am
So I've been working on an old GoldWing I bought last November. It's my first restoration project, so I've learned quite a bit already and I wanted to say thank you to all they people here. I love this forum. It didn't run (i didn't check to see if it would turn over. Looking back, I should have.) I've pulled the engine apart and put it back together, and I'm just about ready to get it running. What do I need to do this? I've gotten the following already:

-Spark plugs; I will most likely be getting new wires
-Breaker points
-Ignition condenser
-Gaskets
-I've rebuilt the carburetors
-Replaced the timing belts
-New fuel/air filter

What else am I likely going to need?
I'm also in need of one bolt for the engine case, is there a way to buy just one? I'm not too keen on the idea of buying a set for around $50 if I don't have too...

I have a lot of pictures if anyone wants me to post them. Any other tips or advise would be appreciated.
Thanks, Phil
If you know what size bolt you need, you can probably get it at any Ace Hardware or similar.

Fuel tank cleaned?

New fuel filter in place?

Other than that it appears you covered it all.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Some questions about getting a 1978 GL1000 running

Post by virgilmobile » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:26 pm

Before you hit the start button...hand turn the engine over a couple of times..recheck the timing belt marks...