Death of a Wing! (almost)

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
Tepcro
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800 Goldwing
2000 Harley Ultra Classic
1985 Yamaha Maxim

Death of a Wing! (almost)

Post by Tepcro » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:21 am

My wife and I recently took a trip from Arizona to Omaha Nebraska and back on our 2001 1800 Goldwing.
Even though our Goldwing had 114,000 miles on the clock, she preformed flawlessly riding 2 up and pulling our little bike trailer. Bike and trailer weighed in at just over 1100# and well we are not little people combined weight was 1400#.

There are many people out there who have great reservations about weight and so do I, but sometimes I think we carry this just a bit too far. If I were to listen to Honda, I could only have me and some clothes on this bike....and then I see a pictures of a family of 5 in India riding on a bike....LOL...no I don't approve of that kind of stuff.
But I have been riding on the "Dark Side" now for quite a few years, on my 2nd car tire now and that tire has better traction and weight carrying ability so I figure that I can push the weight limits a bit more.
I am not suggesting that anyone to overload their wing!
Just know that these bikes can do a lot more than the safety guys recommend!

So once we got to Omaha I choose to ride over to Dillon Brothers Motorsports to buy a new faceshield for my helmet, but after turning into their parking lot I encountered a speed bump. (I was riding by myself with no extra load on the bike)

So anyway this was not an ordinary speed bump! (there is a link to a video below)
When turning into a parking lot from a street you need to keep your bike moving to keep upright so I was going about 5-7 mph as I pulled into their parking lot.
Before I could react there was a speed bump....right there...
I ran over their speed bump not knowing it was there, or I would have gone around it....(my bad), but I had never been there before!
The speed bump was so high and my bike came down on it so hard, that it jarred my teeth and my back, also knocking my glasses out of place in my helmet. (I never did loose control, nor did I lay her down!)
My bike had hit an unmovable object (the concrete ground) with such force and with no give, there was no possible way that something didn't break.

Of course I went into the bike dealership and complained...they said that they had to put in the speed bump because of cars speeding through their parking lot and while I do understand that safety is important.....
So why such an aggressive speed bump!? And why no remorse!?!?

Well long story short, there was no oil leaking and I couldn't tell what damage might have happened under the now destroyed sheetmetal, still she ran solid even though the rear suspension/hydraulics had quit working after the accident.
Here I am in a town far away from home and the bike still runs what appears to be fine, so I drove it...I felt,what other choice did I have?!
In spite of the undercarrage damage and the rear suspension being soft, my wing rode and performed without a hitch until we got to Cortez Colorado, which was 1 more days ride from home.
After waking up in Cortez and getting ready to leave for home I noticed a pretty substantial puddle of oil under my bike.
After checking the oil, I found it to be 1/2 qt low, so I went to the store and bought more oil. (I only use Lucas 20/50 synthetic motorcycle oil in all 3 of my motorcycles)
Again our bike ran flawlessly all the way back to Arizona.
Every time I stopped for gas I checked and topped off the oil.

When I got home, I found that the bike didn't leak at 1st, but as soon as the engine would cool down and the crack opened back up, the leak came back.
I contacted my Insurance man and filed a claim.
Now it's been 4 days and I'm waiting for my appointment with my favorite bike shop to look at her, and the cottage cheese containter that I put under my bike to catch the oil is about 1/2 full.

Tomorrow The mechanic will look at my bike and tell me what was damaged....Was it a broken case??? Broken frame????
No matter what, I feel like I just wrote my bikes epitaph.
It was fun while it lasted!

This is the rant that I filmed after my accident: (If you like it, you can find other videos of our trip. Please hit the subscribe button)

UPDATE:
Good News/Bad News....
Bad news 1st.
My mechanic said that part of my case was cracked, which he will replace, also the entire belly pan was destroyed and needs to be replaced, and there were several bolts broken or missing… In addition, the rear hydraulic suspension was damaged and will need to be fixed!
In all, $2005.21USD damage to my bike.

Now the Good News.
She will run again! And I and my wife will have more adventures to come on this bike!!!

The moral of this story is this; be sure to enjoy your bike while you can!
Who knows it could be all over in the next turn. (God forbid)
Also, get good insurance~!

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Re: Death of a Wing! (almost)

Post by themainviking » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:14 am

That actually sounds liable for the dealership whose speed bump you hit.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Post by Solina Dave » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:53 pm

That's a shame. I can appreciate how you must feel, something like that happening to what is obviously a very special part of your life.
And I agree with Viking. I would think the Honda dealer should be liable. Even more, if your insurance rates go up because of it. That's a helluva bump. I wonder how many low-slung cars have wiped out on it? :shock:

..................Dave
"Assume Nothing"

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1500F6C Valkyrie
1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500 (sold)

Post by Aussie81Interstate » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:34 pm

Do they have a sign advising of the speed hump?

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:51 pm

IF,
there is no sign warning of that Speed Bump, that dealer is responsible for the damage, your insurance agent should handle that for you.
~John

Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Post by Solina Dave » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:02 pm

I saw this question and answer. Something to consider? Judging by the video you posted, I'd say that the bump was constructed improperly.

Is a private property owner responsible for damage caused by traffic calming devices to vehicles?

Question Details: I hit a speed bump in a private parking lot while going under the speed limit. This action resulted in damage to the suspension in my car. Is the property owner responsible for this damage?

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney
|
He may be liable, if he (or his employees, contractors, etc.) were negligent in how the bump was designed (e.g. it was too tall) or in how it was labeled (i.e. they should have posted a lower speed for transiting it). However, if the owner, etc. did nothing wrong--the speed bump was appropriately designed and posted--the owner would not be liable. The owner is not your insurer--he is only liable if and to the extent he did something wrong, and not simply because you suffered damage on his property.

Dave :idea:
"Assume Nothing"

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:52 pm

Speed Bumps locally here, have alternating Yellow and Black bands on them...

if that is speed bump was not painted, that is a liability that is theirs.
~John

Tepcro
1985 Yamaha Maxim

Post by Tepcro » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:41 am

Well there were several reasons I rode home without going to a shop in Omaha.
1) I felt that since it wasn't leaking at the time and ran well, it shouldn't cause any further harm to my bike. Plus I didn't want to give anything to that shop in the way of business after the way they treated me.
2) I didn't have the time to wait around in a strange town 1100 miles away from home waiting for my bike to be fixed.
3) The suspension seemed to handle the ride 2-up with my trailer as long as I was really careful.

But the biggest reason was that there is a shop in Showlow AZ (close to where I live) that I trust, the shop is called BTM which stands for; Bikes Trikes and More (and no I'm not trying to advertise for them).
The owner/mechanic there, builds some of the most beautiful trikes for customers out of Goldwings, and he is quite good on any bike for that fact. He is defiantly an expert where it comes to Goldwings! IMHO (heck they get Harleys and other bikes in there too!)
I usually go all my own mechanic work but Rick has been really fair and honest with me in the past. He replaced my alternator with a new-rebuilt for about the same price that I could buy the part for...so now I have a waranty, and I didn't have to do the work.

Yes I was worried all the way home because I wasn't sure if the frame was cracked or not as I didn't have the facilities nor the tools to wrench on her myself. I kept wondering, "What if she comes apart?"

We got most of the way home before I started noticing any oil leaking out.
Rick says that the crack opens up when it cools down but closes up when its at operating temperature.
Fast forward 1 week
So Rick gave me the estimate for the parts and repairs $2005.00 I submitted it to my insurance and they have sent me a check. (I haven't gotten it yet)
I'll let the Insurance company fight it out with the Dillon people, they did say that they were going to check the speedbump for size and compare it to the leagal dimensions....

So in a couple weeks, I should be back on the road again...
Thanks for all the kind thoughts and sympathy, I'll keep you posted.

Tepcro
1985 Yamaha Maxim

Post by Tepcro » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:36 am

So I got my bike back, the part of the case that was broken was replaced and exhaust that was damaged was repaired, and the rear suspension repaired and once again seems to work perfectly!
The shop did a great job! In fact the mechanic (Rick) found a few other things and fixed them as well for a small additional sum.

I strongly recommend Bikes, Trikes and More, in Showlow AZ!!!
Again I am a satisfied customer! (as I stated before, this is not meant to be a commercial!)

And I highly recommend that if you must go to Dillon Motorsports in Omaha NE, that you do so at your own risk and watch out for speed bumps!

Oh yeah, the bike runs and performs "good as new" :D

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1500F6C Valkyrie
1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500 (sold)

Post by Aussie81Interstate » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:24 am

Glad to her it is all back to normal for you.

Watch them speed humps next time.

Tepcro
1985 Yamaha Maxim

Post by Tepcro » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:39 am

:roll: lesson learned!