Texas Hill Country & Neotec-2/Freewire review

Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Texas Hill Country & Neotec-2/Freewire review

Post by C-dub » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:25 pm

Mrs. Dub and I recently completed our second trip on our Wing. I think I told ya’ll about our first trip over to Hot Springs, Arkansas, this past Spring and rode around the Ouchita National Forrest. It was about a 325 mile ride to get there and then we did about 250 miles the next day just sightseeing.

This second trip was down to San Antonio. We were really a bit northwest of S.A. and this was also about 325 from home. We also rode about 250 miles the next day sightseeing around the Texas Hill Country. The ride consisted of much of what is known as the Twisted Sister route seen here.
(http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/555/T ... 6337a.html)
I’ve been a lot of places in this great country and there are many beautiful places. This is not quite as breathtaking as some, but pretty darn good for Texas. I don’t if I’ll ever get back up to the New England region again, but do want to get up northwest into the Yellowstone region and the Black Hills and all.

My wife does have a mesh riding jacket with rain liner, rain pant, but no actual riding pants. I have the jacket and pants with rain liners and since there was the possibility of rain we did take our rain gear. And since I didn’t want to take up storage space planned on wearing the pants and jacket without the rain liners on the trip down. It got a little warm, but wasn’t too bad as long as we were moving. The high temp was about 93 and we only expected about 88. Thanks weather people. As I mentioned, it wasn’t too bad as long as we were moving. Then came rush hour traffic through Austin. That was a beating.

The Hill Country was a little nicer ride of the two, but not by a great deal.

A week before our trip I got a hold of a Shoei Neotec 2 helmet and three days before the trip I added the Sena SRL and Freewire setup. The first couple of times getting everything paired up was interesting. The first time took me about 15 minutes. The second and third times about 5 minutes each, but the fourth time was very different. Before I began to even attempt pushing buttons to get it all paired up it started beeping and did it all by its self.

After that torturous first time I realized things had to be done in a certain sequence.
1. Make sure the Bluetooth on my phone is off.
2. Turn on the Freewire next.
3. Turn on the SRL in the helmet.
4. Pair up the Freewire and SRL.
5. Turn on phone Bluetooth.
6. Pair up SRL and phone.
7. Good to go.

Now, after those first three times the sequence doesn’t seem to matter. It also doesn’t seem to care about my earing aides, which are still connected to my phone.

Mrs. Dub doesn’t like listening to music or anything while riding except when through town. She still has the HJC modular helmet without sound. She likes the quiet. I think I’ll bring her around, though, since I’ve mentioned how much quieter the Neotec-2 is than the HJC. So, on most of the trip I listened to music from my USB drive in the trunk or the radio from the bike. I did make two phone calls and the two people I called said they couldn’t tell any difference from any other call from me.

My own opinion of the sound quality of this SRL system is that it is okay. Nothing to be bragged about for music. It has no or almost no bass. I never looked at the frequency range to know before purchasing. Phone calls and the navigation directions were fine. That, (nav directions) BTW, was kinda nice to have in my ear. I could still hear the music and didn’t have the volume up that high, but the quality was not even as good as a small pair of ear buds plugged into my phone.

The battery life for me so far has been at least 7 hours continuous. I turned it all on when we left our house to go down there and left it on even during stops and lunch. The same for the second day and when we came back home.

So far, the trickiest part of this entire wireless setup, ironically, was plugging the Freewire cord into the plug on the Wing. I hadn’t plugged anything into it yet and was paranoid about bending one of the pins. It was tight and I’m getting better at it now. I first tried the Freewire thing on the left handle “bar” for this trip, but since the cord is so long may try it over on the right and see how I like that.

On our way home we got rained on 3-4 different time for short periods. I had no trouble with the SRL in the helmet or the Freewire connection to the Wing. And as a bonus, we averaged about 40 mpg for the entire trip two-up.

I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Re: Texas Hill Country & Neotec-2/Freewire review

Post by C-dub » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:37 pm

I forgot to mention about my first part to break on my Wing. After unloading my things once we arrived I was unable to close the left saddlebag so that it would not keep saying it was open on the screen. I found the forward latch on the left saddlebag hanging down about 3-4 inches and appeared to be broken. I could see three screws still attached, but think there is a fourth screw that came out from the inside wall of the bag that allowed increased torque on the entire latch, which then broke from the rest of the bag. It's a good thing I tossed that roll of duct tape into the trunk. We used some of that to secure the latch to the top of the bag, so I could get the bag to latch shut for the remainder of the trip.

I checked around here when we returned and was afraid I was going to have to replace the entire bag for $$$$. I got to the dealer this morning and part of my fear was confirmed. A good chunk of the bag does have to be replaced and the part alone is about $850. However, it is all still under warrantee and covered. They've ordered it and it should be in next week.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.