K OHM values


Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
  • Sponsored Links
Post Reply
User avatar
Asphaltmaniac
Posts: 124
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:57 am
Location: Sparks Nevada
Motorcycle: 2006 1800 bought new out of the box...Now has 196K Love this bike!!!!!

K OHM values

Post by Asphaltmaniac » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:38 pm



Electrical issues generally dont bother me, but I never bothered to learn about OHMS. I have two spark plug wires here and have no idea how they are constructed. My multi-meter auto ranges and with one wire I get (by the way they are almost the same length) 5.14 K OHM and the other .681 K OHM. What is my meter telling me?
Thank you!



User avatar
Aussie81Interstate
Posts: 1032
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:34 am
Location: Penrith Australia
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1500F6C Valkyrie
1982 CX500 Turbo (Historic registration - finally)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500 (sold)

Re: K OHM values

Post by Aussie81Interstate » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:07 am

The one with the higher OHMS - sounds like it may have some corrosion in the wires - are they copper core wires or carbon ?

User avatar
AZgl1800
Posts: 1377
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:46 pm
Location: Lake Oologah Indian Territory USA
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Re: K OHM values

Post by AZgl1800 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:21 am

Asphaltmaniac wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:38 pm
Electrical issues generally dont bother me, but I never bothered to learn about OHMS. I have two spark plug wires here and have no idea how they are constructed. My multi-meter auto ranges and with one wire I get (by the way they are almost the same length) 5.14 K OHM and the other .681 K OHM. What is my meter telling me?
Thank you!
5.14 k ohm is 5,140 ohms

.681 is just 681 ohms

so, there is something wrong with one of them. I'm not familiar with the spark leads for your bike.

on cars, some high tension leads are normal at approx 10,000 ohm back in the day.....
I have not messed with spark plug wires in 20 years, so that is my 20 cents worth.

I remember that we used to replace the carbon filled spark leads with solid copper wires to get a hotter spark, but oh, what a mess it made out of the AM radio :twisted:
~John

User avatar
Asphaltmaniac
Posts: 124
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:57 am
Location: Sparks Nevada
Motorcycle: 2006 1800 bought new out of the box...Now has 196K Love this bike!!!!!

Re: K OHM values

Post by Asphaltmaniac » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:51 am

The 5.14 Value is a brand new (#4) 1800 spark plug wire. The other is a plug wire I made up for my wing (#6) late last year out of an automotive (7MM spiral core) make your own custom length wires kit.
Received all new 1800 plug wires from Bike bandit but the # 6 one is on back order for who knows how long. And as I'd really like to ride the bike I'm concerned that the imbalance between the new wing wires and the one I made could create problems. Or am I being overly paranoid???

User avatar
Asphaltmaniac
Posts: 124
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:57 am
Location: Sparks Nevada
Motorcycle: 2006 1800 bought new out of the box...Now has 196K Love this bike!!!!!

Re: K OHM values

Post by Asphaltmaniac » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:01 am

Asphaltmaniac wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:51 am
The 5.14 Value is a brand new (#4) 1800 spark plug wire. The other is a plug wire I made up for my wing (#6) late last year out of an automotive (7MM spiral core) make your own custom length wires kit.
Received all new 1800 plug wires from Bike bandit but the # 6 one is on back order for who knows how long. And as I'd really like to ride the bike I'm concerned that the imbalance between the new wing wires and the one I made could create problems. Or am I being overly paranoid???
Looking up the wire kit I used from Summit racing they have an OHM value of 270 per foot. So the 618 I get is right in the ballpark for its length. So apparently our 1800 wires have a built in very high resistance to really quell radio and CB interference?

User avatar
AZgl1800
Posts: 1377
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:46 pm
Location: Lake Oologah Indian Territory USA
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Re: K OHM values

Post by AZgl1800 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:42 pm

Asphaltmaniac wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:51 am
The 5.14 Value is a brand new (#4) 1800 spark plug wire. The other is a plug wire I made up for my wing (#6) late last year out of an automotive (7MM spiral core) make your own custom length wires kit.
Received all new 1800 plug wires from Bike bandit but the # 6 one is on back order for who knows how long. And as I'd really like to ride the bike I'm concerned that the imbalance between the new wing wires and the one I made could create problems. Or am I being overly paranoid???
I doubt you will be able to tell if there is any imbalance.
Once the plug fires, the fuel is going to explode.

The lower resistance wire can sustain more current AFTER the plug fires.

The higher ohm values will fire just as fast as the lower values will, but won't pass as much current to the plug ( read a thinner spark )

so, Low values = Fat spark
higher values = thinner spark
~John

User avatar
Asphaltmaniac
Posts: 124
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:57 am
Location: Sparks Nevada
Motorcycle: 2006 1800 bought new out of the box...Now has 196K Love this bike!!!!!

Re: K OHM values

Post by Asphaltmaniac » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:02 pm

AZgl1800 wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:42 pm
Asphaltmaniac wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:51 am
The 5.14 Value is a brand new (#4) 1800 spark plug wire. The other is a plug wire I made up for my wing (#6) late last year out of an automotive (7MM spiral core) make your own custom length wires kit.
Received all new 1800 plug wires from Bike bandit but the # 6 one is on back order for who knows how long. And as I'd really like to ride the bike I'm concerned that the imbalance between the new wing wires and the one I made could create problems. Or am I being overly paranoid???
I doubt you will be able to tell if there is any imbalance.
Once the plug fires, the fuel is going to explode.

The lower resistance wire can sustain more current AFTER the plug fires.

The higher ohm values will fire just as fast as the lower values will, but won't pass as much current to the plug ( read a thinner spark )

so, Low values = Fat spark
higher values = thinner spark
I got a bit paranoid as the 5 and 6 plugs fire from the same coil. Wasent sure if that would put a strain on that coil.

User avatar
AZgl1800
Posts: 1377
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:46 pm
Location: Lake Oologah Indian Territory USA
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Re: K OHM values

Post by AZgl1800 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:44 am

it will be fine until your new wire comes in, hurry up and get some miles in before the snow ends your fun.
~John

User avatar
Asphaltmaniac
Posts: 124
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:57 am
Location: Sparks Nevada
Motorcycle: 2006 1800 bought new out of the box...Now has 196K Love this bike!!!!!

Re: K OHM values

Post by Asphaltmaniac » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:24 am

AZgl1800 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:44 am
it will be fine until your new wire comes in, hurry up and get some miles in before the snow ends your fun.
Yes, I'm riding today. Out to Austin Nevada and back out on Americas loneliest hwy, hwy 50.... :D



Post Reply