I messed up changing the solenoid !!

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Eggen78
Motorcycle: Gl 1200 Aspencade 1984

I messed up changing the solenoid !!

Post by Eggen78 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:28 pm

Hallo,

I have a bit of a problem, I hope someone can help me with,

When changing a dead solenoid / starter relay - the 4 wires ( ore som of them ) connected for a second, a little sparks flew and suddenly white smoke and a nasty smell appered from the left side of the dummy tank.

I changed the solenoid og fitteded a plug for the wires so it could not happen again. The Wing drives like normal, nothing to see under the dummy tank - but the battery does not charge anymore.

All fuses are ok, nothing looks burnt - so I thinking I should look for some kind of relay or something ?

Please help direct me to what I should look for ?

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A
1997 GL1500SE Lehman Trike

Re: I messed up changing the solenoid !!

Post by CrystalPistol » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:11 pm

Just guessing … is this a GL1200 ?

Regulator / rectifier is located on left side under tray in top of faux tank. Battery no longer charging while riding. Sounds like maybe that reg/rec is killed. Sniff close, smells?

Unhook battery at one terminal anytime you do electrical work.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Post by virgilmobile » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:14 pm

The 4 wires..the 2 large red ones..one goes to the ignition switch and the other goes to the regulator module..When plugged into the solenoid there jumped together..they both go through the 30 amp fuse to the battery..
The 2 smaller wires..Should one be connected to that power terminal it has no effect (goes to the start switch)however connect power to the other one and a wire will smoke..usually in the harness..That wire goes to the neutral safety switch and the neutral start diode..
Does it start in neutral and using the clutch lever (if in gear) properly.?
As far as it not charging...Because it starts..at least one of the red wires is making contact to the battery.how bout the other one?There should be battery volts on both wires.
You can also inspect the 3 yellow wire plug(the charging circuit) for problems.
Right next to where you were working.

Eggen78
Motorcycle: Gl 1200 Aspencade 1984

Post by Eggen78 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:25 am

So... I measured a lot on the bike yesterday (0:

The connector that goes to the rectefier:
Green measured on Ohm - OK
Black measured on Volt with and without ignition on - OK
The 2 red measured on Volt - OK
The 3 yellow measured on Volt - with the motor fired up - all 3 are OK
(couldn´t acces the yellow lines on the side og the battery - the previous owner apparently took out the connector at some point )

Meassured the rectifier on diode-mode, everything working as it shoud.

Took her for a long drive, meassured the battery every 10 km, and with the moter in idle it meassured 13,50-ish and at 2500 rpm 14,70-ish

So it should be working ?

My suspecion has now tuned to the battery and the starter morter....

The battery seems to be ok, but I cant check that it actually delivers the 20 AH it´s suppose to.

When I´m starting her up, it sound like there barely enoght power to turn the starter motor, and the battery starts by showing 12.80 - 13.10 volts.

So where to go from here ?

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:02 am

Eggen78 wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:25 am
So... I measured a lot on the bike yesterday (0:

The connector that goes to the rectefier:
Green measured on Ohm - OK
Black measured on Volt with and without ignition on - OK
The 2 red measured on Volt - OK
The 3 yellow measured on Volt - with the motor fired up - all 3 are OK
(couldn´t acces the yellow lines on the side og the battery - the previous owner apparently took out the connector at some point )

Meassured the rectifier on diode-mode, everything working as it shoud.

Took her for a long drive, meassured the battery every 10 km, and with the moter in idle it meassured 13,50-ish and at 2500 rpm 14,70-ish

So it should be working ?

My suspecion has now tuned to the battery and the starter morter....

The battery seems to be ok, but I cant check that it actually delivers the 20 AH it´s suppose to.

When I´m starting her up, it sound like there barely enoght power to turn the starter motor, and the battery starts by showing 12.80 - 13.10 volts.

So where to go from here ?
Some general info.

The green wires at the RR are ground.
The red/white wires go from the RR to the electrical system and the starter solenoid, and will/should measure battery voltage when the engine is not started, but once the engine is started, stator output - anything above 12.6 VDC is stator output.
The black wire is the sense wire and should come from the ignition switch and only register voltage when the key is in the on position.
To determine if the stator is producing voltage as required, need to disconnect the RR connector(s) and measure the AC voltage coming from the stator between each lead. There are some good threads on how to do this.

If your numbers are correct, the alternator system is working correctly.

To determine the AH of the battery at 20 AH is only if you are using it to power an item. You actually only have half of the AH available for use. The AHs are not as pertinent to your issue as the CCA are. You should be able to take the battery to a battery shop and have it load tested to determine the condition.

If you are having starter issues, you may want to visit some of the threads on rebuilding the starter. Quite possible that it needs a refresh after some 34 years.

Good luck. Cheers

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest