I think my 88 is messed up

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
MarkZ28
Motorcycle: GL1500

I think my 88 is messed up

Post by MarkZ28 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:06 pm

I was riding my 88 and finally noticed that the right handlebar seemed pulled back more than the left side, or maybe pushed inward some too. I thought no big deal, Ill buy a used handlebar later. I then tried taking my hands off the handlebars while moving to see what it did. It pulls to the left pretty strongly. Its not like yanking me over fast but it definately isnt slow. Also it starts to wobble unless Im holding the bar. Thats probably head bearings. Im hoping the pulling left is just bent forks and triple tree, which I can easily do. If its a bent frame, its a parts bike and Im out some money. I will be tearing into it this winter after I get my 09 Liberty 4x4 project done and out of the garage. I really like the bike too.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: I think my 88 is messed up

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:25 pm

MarkZ28 wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:06 pm
I was riding my 88 and finally noticed that the right handlebar seemed pulled back more than the left side, or maybe pushed inward some too. I thought no big deal, Ill buy a used handlebar later. I then tried taking my hands off the handlebars while moving to see what it did. It pulls to the left pretty strongly. Its not like yanking me over fast but it definately isnt slow. Also it starts to wobble unless Im holding the bar. Thats probably head bearings. Im hoping the pulling left is just bent forks and triple tree, which I can easily do. If its a bent frame, its a parts bike and Im out some money. I will be tearing into it this winter after I get my 09 Liberty 4x4 project done and out of the garage. I really like the bike too.
Put the bike up into a wall, so the front wheel is on the ground but also up against a brick or concrete wall. Hold the front brake on tight, and try to move the handlebars. See if you get any rotational free play without the wheel moving. Could be handlebars, could be loose triple tree clamps, could be loose/worn/bent/damaged shocks, could be frame. Probably not head bearings - that can cause wobble, but not all the other stuff you're describing.

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Re: I think my 88 is messed up

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:11 am

I had a similar problem after replacing the fork seals and solved it using the technic explained in the videos below.