Doug's Winter Maintenance Begins

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
DougEFresh1123
Motorcycle: 2002 Honda Magna VF750
1994 Honda Goldwing 1500SE

Re: Doug's Winter Maintenance Begins

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:32 pm

Rednaxs60 wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:05 pm
I use Loctite Moly paste LB 8012: Loctite Moly Paste 2.jpg Drain the FD before taking out so as not to make a mess.

The u-joint where it connects to the engine output shaft needs lubed as well. You can do this by taking the u-joint boot off the engine and shove it back to get at the front end of the u-joint. If the u-joint boot is cracked, etc - it is available from Honda. There is a drive shaft lube video in the how to articles.

Even though the bike has been laid up for two years, it is the accumulation of "crud" over the past 24 years. Never know how conscientious the POs were. Drain the fluid, remove the slave from the rear of the engine, disconnect the hydraulic line. Parts are available from Honda, inexpensive. Three 8 mm bolts hold the slave to the engine.

Coolant colour is not indicative of how good the coolant is. It's the additives that are important. These deplete with time and use - heat is a major factor in affecting and reducing the effectiveness of these. The 1500 is the easiest to change out the coolant, easier than the 1200 or 1800.

I look at doing these items, as well as others such as brake pad replacement, spark plugs, etc as good initial maintenance and you know exactly when maintenance was done. I will be doing the wheel and steering stem bearings in the spring when I replace the tires.

I also keep a spreadsheet with costs (includes bike purchase, insurance, tires, oils and filters, and anything else I buy for the bike), part numbers, and maintenance done each year. Keeps me in tune with what is going on, and I can review and know when I need to do additional maintenance.

Hope this helps. Cheers
Thanks for the tips, especially about the u-joint. I have watched the video, so at least I have an idea on what needs to be done.

I have decided to change the coolant, I will add clutch slave rebuild to the list. I already have replacement spark plugs.

I have a list of the things I am doing and I make sure I put dates and mileage whenever I do any work on the bike(s).

'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

“We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.”
― Ronald Reagan

DougEFresh1123

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:34 pm

Well I didn't get as far as I was hoping, something about needing a new refrigerator and new stove sucks all the fun out of the weekend. Oh well at least now we have a properly functioning fridge and the stove should be here Tuesday. We aren't hosting Thanksgiving so I don't have to rush to get it installed.

Now for the fun part:
I also started to pull the front cover off so I can change out the timing belts, hopefully over the long extended weekend I will be able to get them changed out and install the shifter shaft brace.
Attachments

Poor Maggie, got kicked out into the snowy weather so I would have room to work.  Yeah she needs a new cover too.
Poor Maggie, got kicked out into the snowy weather so I would have room to work. Yeah she needs a new cover too.

What's in the box(es) Doug?
What's in the box(es) Doug?

I see timing belts, spark plugs, fuel filter, oil filter, sub air filter, cruise element, shifter shaft brace and seal, air filter and lots of oil.
I see timing belts, spark plugs, fuel filter, oil filter, sub air filter, cruise element, shifter shaft brace and seal, air filter and lots of oil.

Putting in the new fuel filter and air filter
Putting in the new fuel filter and air filter

The sub air filter taking a little oil bath before install
The sub air filter taking a little oil bath before install

Yep, i think the shifter shaft seal was the culprit of my oil leak
Yep, i think the shifter shaft seal was the culprit of my oil leak

The leak must have been going on for quite some time, based on the next couple of pictures.
The leak must have been going on for quite some time, based on the next couple of pictures.

The underside of the engine
The underside of the engine

She cleaned up pretty good
She cleaned up pretty good

'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

“We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.”
― Ronald Reagan

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red
1994 GL1500SE Pearl Bermuda Green

Post by bellboy40 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:57 pm

Good stuff Doug. Looks like you are well on your way to some needed maintenance. I'll bet that old sub air filter crumbled in your hands when you started handling it.

DougEFresh1123

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:07 pm

bellboy40 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:57 pm
Good stuff Doug. Looks like you are well on your way to some needed maintenance. I'll bet that old sub air filter crumbled in your hands when you started handling it.
Thank you. I need to get it done so I can get the battery back in and started up, I need to add some stabil and or seafoam for the winter. I had just filled the tank right before the oil leak and now it's been sitting for almost two months.

Hopefully on Friday the the temps will be up in the mid 40's so that would be an awesome day to finish this portion. This will also help me get her turned around so I can start working on the back end.

It sure did.
Attachments

This was the old one before trying to pull it from the holder.
This was the old one before trying to pull it from the holder.

'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

DougEFresh1123

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:10 am

Didn't get any work in over the long US Holiday weekend, I sure did eat a lot. I finally got around to cutting my old fuel filter in half to check it out. To my untrained eyes it looks like it is in decent shape, but since I don't have x-ray eyes and had no idea how old the filter was I figured it was best to change it out.

Hopefully this weekend I can get quite a bit done since the wife is going to be working on Saturday and possibly Sunday.

Still need to change out the timing belts and drain the radiator, and oil change, and then it's on to getting the bike turned around so I can work on the drive shaft.
Attachments

Was still glued to the top of the filter
Was still glued to the top of the filter

Managed to get my Christmas decorations up.  Yeah we aren't doing much this year.
Managed to get my Christmas decorations up. Yeah we aren't doing much this year.

'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:44 pm

Good start on the decorations.

Cut the filter element in half and see what is on the inside, may be some crud. Here is a picture of the one off my 1500:

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

DougEFresh1123

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:02 pm

Rednaxs60 wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:44 pm
Good start on the decorations.

Cut the filter element in half and see what is on the inside, may be some crud. Here is a picture of the one off my 1500: Old Fuel Filter - 2.jpg

Cheers
I didn't think of that, and it's already in the landfill. :(

Cheers
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

DougEFresh1123

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:14 am

I've had quite a few busy weeks, which slowed down the work on the bike but I think I'm still doing well with the time. Especially since with the weather we are having in Chicago I don't expect to see riding temps (all day - 35F or above) until March. If that changes at least I still have the Magna.

The weekend of December 1st I changed the oil and filter, pulled the spark plugs and tried to change the timing belts. More about that in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=46865&sid=1ee40e20e ... eaa5dc4975. Or just read my next post.
Attachments

Swapped out the old filter for the new
Swapped out the old filter for the new

The old plugs, since I'm not sure of the cylinder order, as if I was sitting on the seat
The old plugs, since I'm not sure of the cylinder order, as if I was sitting on the seat

Old belts
Old belts

Old belts
Old belts

Old belts
Old belts

My very first attempt to install the timing belts.  This was after a 90 degree counterclockwise , and 90 degree clockwise check
My very first attempt to install the timing belts. This was after a 90 degree counterclockwise , and 90 degree clockwise check

Right side - My very first attempt to install the timing belts.  This was after a 90 degree counterclockwise , and 90 degree clockwise check
Right side - My very first attempt to install the timing belts. This was after a 90 degree counterclockwise , and 90 degree clockwise check

Left side - My very first attempt to install the timing belts.  This was after a 90 degree counterclockwise , and 90 degree clockwise check
Left side - My very first attempt to install the timing belts. This was after a 90 degree counterclockwise , and 90 degree clockwise check

'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

DougEFresh1123

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:18 am

This past weekend I finished up the timing belts:

Saturday morning with a long break in the day to catch up with yard work and household duties.
As you can see I had some issues with getting the marks to line up. After posting for help I was reassured I had everything good and there are times all the marks won't line up.

I asked my son for help but since he works the midnight shift at UPS and had girlfriend duties on Saturday all of this waited until 10:30 Saturday night to get done. My son is studying automotive technology so I asked him to check them out as well and he said the exact same thing about the marks not always lining up. We rotated the crankshaft to check for any resistance or pressure. We must have rotated the engine about 8 times and we didn't feel any pressure or resistance. After that we set the tension, and did a few more manual engine rotations to make sure everything was still good. Thank goodness these are quiet bikes because shortly after midnight we rolled it out into the driveway to start it up and check out the slack in the belts to make sure everything was good.

On Sunday I put the timing belt covers back on and changed the radiator fluid. Well almost changed the radiator fluid, ran out of time, still need to start the engine and get the air bubbles worked out. This is noted on my check list so I don't forget.

Funny/Not funny story time - went to the closest auto parts store to find new hose clamps for the two small hoses on the the water pump. The clamps were rusty and one broke while trying to remove. Wasted an hour trying to track down some Moly 60 - or in this case the Loctite 8012. Asked the guys at the parts store if they had any Moly 60 grease or some Loctite 8012 and they both had a dumbfounded look on their face :? . Oh well off to the local Walmart and nothing there, guess I'll just tell the wife to ordered via Amazon.

A great big thank you to everyone that is helping me and for the great how-to section!! :!: :!:
Attachments

First try this morning.  Didn't notice the broken ground wire last weekend, but that's an easy fix.
First try this morning. Didn't notice the broken ground wire last weekend, but that's an easy fix.

First try - left side
First try - left side

First try - right side
First try - right side

Second try
Second try

Second try - left side
Second try - left side

Second try - right side
Second try - right side

Second try - right side - different angle
Second try - right side - different angle

Second try - right side - another angle
Second try - right side - another angle

Second try - left side - different angle.
Second try - left side - different angle.

'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

DougEFresh1123

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:40 am

Well it wasn't the most productive weekend, didn't get anything done on Saturday due to the snow. Why did the snow stop me from getting work done? Well I have a single car garage filled with "stuff" and two motorcycles. In order to work on either of the bikes the other needs to get moved into the driveway and I really didn't feel like having to put the Magna out in the driveway since there was already three inches of snow on the driveway by 9:00AM. So onto Sunday I went after having shoveled the driveway twice, the Magna goes out into the driveway and I start to work on the 'Wing. As some of you may recall I was having issues getting my trunk assembly to lift and pivot up over the seating area but I finally got it go. I removed the passenger floor boards and the crash bar but I think the real culprit was the wiring for some aftermarket lights. They ran the wiring through the same hole in the saddlebag the air hose runs through and the excess wire was zip-tied to the frame under the seat. So I snipped the zip-tie pulled the wire into the saddlebag and up and over the trunk went. The after market lights are the green strip of lights on the saddlebags and trunk. I think for the future I'll just pull the excess into the saddlebag and use a twist tie and tape to keep it nestled out of the way. I'm afraid if I keep snipping a zip tie I'm gonna mess up and snip one of the wires.

I also drained the final drive gear fluid, and replaced the plugs since I still need to remove the tire, and lube the splines. I did at least loosen the axle nut so hopefully next weekend I can get the tire out and the splines lubed.

Taking a look at the right shock the boot is torn. Could this be the reason why I needed to adjust the rear shock everyday? Looks like a replacement is going to be needed.

I don't think the wife is going to like the fact that now I need to add a $200 shock absorber, and new tires. I'm guessing the LED conversion will wait until next winter. :(
Attachments

If you zoom in on this one I circled the wires for the aftermarket lights.
If you zoom in on this one I circled the wires for the aftermarket lights.

That doesn't look good!
That doesn't look good!

rear wheel
rear wheel

front wheel
front wheel

'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:22 am

Cable ties are a necessity when working on these bikes. Should have bought shares in whatever company makes them.

The torn boot on the air shock keeps dirt and such away from the seal. The boot is not the reason you are loosing air, could be a bad seal, or somewhere in the air system.

I bought my 1500 this past summer and a suspension upgrade was on my list of first things to do. Bike is a '95 with 150,000 Kms so the suspension would be worn out. Installed Progressive 416 air shocks on the rear and springs in the front forks - huge difference. WingAdmin has commented on the rear shocks as to why Honda would put an air shock for load and non-air for suspension travel - makes no sense to me either. Would recommend a suspension upgrade if you plan on keeping the 1500 for a while. If you are going to spend money on a used OEM air shock, it would be better spent on a new set of Progressive 416 series shocks - keep a look on eBay as the 416 air shocks come up occasionally. I'm also a fan of doing expensive changes up front so I can enjoy them, no sense in doing these then selling. If your wife rides with you, she will like the upgrade.

There is a DIY tutorial by Wingadmin regarding the air dryer for the 1500. Good idea to refresh the desiccant, don't have to renew just remove, dry and put back in.

Good luck. Cheers

Ernest

DougEFresh1123

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:01 pm

Rednaxs60 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:22 am
Cable ties are a necessity when working on these bikes. Should have bought shares in whatever company makes them.
Which is why I like twist ties, easier to reuse if they last :D
The torn boot on the air shock keeps dirt and such away from the seal. The boot is not the reason you are loosing air, could be a bad seal, or somewhere in the air system.
Guess it's time to add some investigative techniques to the air shock. Or just upgrade to knew :?:
I bought my 1500 this past summer and a suspension upgrade was on my list of first things to do. Bike is a '95 with 150,000 Kms so the suspension would be worn out. Installed Progressive 416 air shocks on the rear and springs in the front forks - huge difference. WingAdmin has commented on the rear shocks as to why Honda would put an air shock for load and non-air for suspension travel - makes no sense to me either. Would recommend a suspension upgrade if you plan on keeping the 1500 for a while. If you are going to spend money on a used OEM air shock, it would be better spent on a new set of Progressive 416 series shocks - keep a look on eBay as the 416 air shocks come up occasionally. I'm also a fan of doing expensive changes up front so I can enjoy them, no sense in doing these then selling. If your wife rides with you, she will like the upgrade.
My wife hasn't ridden on the back yet other than a short ride with the previous owner. She wants me to get comfortable riding by myself, especially since this bike is twice as heavy as the Magna. Yes we do plan on keeping the 1500 for awhile. If I change to the progressive shocks in the rear I would need the adapter kit to hook into the on board air compressor right? For the front it's just replacing the springs?
There is a DIY tutorial by Wingadmin regarding the air dryer for the 1500. Good idea to refresh the desiccant, don't have to renew just remove, dry and put back in.
My wife isn't to thrilled when work on my cast iron pans in the oven, wondering what she will say when she finds out I'm cooking desiccant. :lol:
Good luck. Cheers
Thanks!
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:15 pm

When I bought my Progressive 416 shocks, there was the adapter kit with it. The adapter kit connects into the air system under the seat.

The desiccant in the oven doesn't give off any smells, or affect the oven. I preheated to 350 and monitored, took the desiccant out every couple of minutes to stir so to speak. Used the good corning ware, doesn't affect anything.

Go with the suspension upgrade, you will not be disappointed.

Cheers

Ernest

Alan_Hepburn
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500SE with a California Sidecar

Post by Alan_Hepburn » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:26 pm

You might want to think about new tires, or at least watch them real closely - those tires are 7 years old and probably don't have a lot of life left in them...
Alan Hepburn - San Jose, Ca
1994 GL1500SE with a California Sidecar

DougEFresh1123

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:20 pm

Alan_Hepburn wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:26 pm
You might want to think about new tires, or at least watch them real closely - those tires are 7 years old and probably don't have a lot of life left in them...
Oh I plan on getting new tires before riding seasson, just haven't told the wife yet. :shock: She is already complaining/nagging :o me about the money I've put into the bike, a whopping $291.00 give or take a few pennies.
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

DougEFresh1123

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:23 pm

Rednaxs60 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:15 pm
When I bought my Progressive 416 shocks, there was the adapter kit with it. The adapter kit connects into the air system under the seat.

The desiccant in the oven doesn't give off any smells, or affect the oven. I preheated to 350 and monitored, took the desiccant out every couple of minutes to stir so to speak. Used the good corning ware, doesn't affect anything.

Go with the suspension upgrade, you will not be disappointed.

Cheers
Awesome thanks - still thinking I'll do it when she's not home. ;)

I've heard of people drying the dessicant out on a try with a heat gun. May try that option first, since I can do it in a garage.
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:44 pm

Less than 10 minutes in the oven. You can also try a toaster oven as well.

Ernest

DougEFresh1123

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:38 am

Well it's been a couple of weeks since I've worked on the 'wing. The snow and the cold really puts a damper on my working time. But I took advantage of the warm weather on Saturday. According to the calendar I only have 6 more weeks of winter. Saturday was spent taking of the rear wheel and pulling the drive shaft and u-joint. I'm not an expert in my various lubes and greases but the stuff used on the drive shaft and u-joint didn't look like the Moly paste i've seen posted on this website. Almost smelled and looked like regular ball bearing grease or possibly with lithium grease. The splines looked good and the u-joint looks like it was the upgraded versions. Most of these pictures are just for my reference on how it was assembled so I can put it back together.

Hopefully today I can get the splines lubed and the back end put back together.

Again thanks to WingAdmin for his awesome how-to articles and all the others that have posted pictures, tips and tricks.
Attachments

'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

DougEFresh1123

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:40 am

Part 2 of Saturday Feb 2
Attachments

This is why I can't work if it's to cold or snowing.
This is why I can't work if it's to cold or snowing.

'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

DougEFresh1123

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:11 pm

Sunday proved to be another successful day. Lubed up the U-Joint, drive shaft, and the various other parts of the rear end that need to be lubed. I have no idea how I got so lucky on putting it all back together. The difficult parts about getting the u-joint boot on to the swing arm was a snap, and somehow as I was trying to get the drive shaft into the back of the u-joint and I was pushing it into place the front end of the u-joint self aligned and slipped on to the output shaft at the same time; it's about time the 'wing decided not to act like a stubborn mule. :D

Now it's time to inspect the rear brakes and change if need and then I'll move back up to the front end and pull the front tire and inspect those brake pads. A little flush of the brake lines and clutch lines and I think I'll be ready to reassemble.

On a side note my son and I did some electrical tracing for the after market light switch housing that fits over the brake master cylinder. The first two work and already control additional lighting. Switches 3 and 4 (from left to right) don't control anything. Both switches get power when the bike is turned on, switch four is broken and will need to be replaced. We managed to find out were these lines are capped and now I'll be able to do something with the switches. I'm thinking of using one to convert my cornering lights over to additional night time lights but not sure what to do with the last. Any suggestions? I already have a ring of fire and additional forward lights. My son though of wiring in another 12 volt charger, or usb charger.

How would I go about converting my cornering lights to full time lights utilizing the current stock set up? I'm asking because I'm also thinking if I should use one of the switches to control a voltage meter.
Attachments

Properly applied Moly Paste
Properly applied Moly Paste

Is this what happens to the Moly paste over time?
Is this what happens to the Moly paste over time?

The output shaft
The output shaft

One side of the u-joint
One side of the u-joint

Both of these look much better than the before

The before
The before

After
After

We checked out the wiring issues on this aftermarket switch set up
We checked out the wiring issues on this aftermarket switch set up

'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:41 pm

DougEFresh1123 wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:11 pm
How would I go about converting my cornering lights to full time lights utilizing the current stock set up?
You will have to take off the tupperware panels with the cornering lights, and on each side you will find a relay that controls them. Cutting the ground wire to the relay makes the cornering lights stay on full-time. You could certainly connect those ground leads from the relays to a switch, and turn the ground connection "on" and "off".

I wouldn't run the cornering lights full-time unless you convert them to LED. The OEM-style bulbs get hot enough to melt the plastic lenses and ABS if on full-time. Cyclemax sells some nice 25 Watt LED replacements that are plug-and-play. (Got them in my 1500).
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark

DougEFresh1123

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:22 am

DenverWinger wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:41 pm
DougEFresh1123 wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:11 pm
How would I go about converting my cornering lights to full time lights utilizing the current stock set up?
You will have to take off the tupperware panels with the cornering lights, and on each side you will find a relay that controls them. Cutting the ground wire to the relay makes the cornering lights stay on full-time. You could certainly connect those ground leads from the relays to a switch, and turn the ground connection "on" and "off".

I wouldn't run the cornering lights full-time unless you convert them to LED. The OEM-style bulbs get hot enough to melt the plastic lenses and ABS if on full-time. Cyclemax sells some nice 25 Watt LED replacements that are plug-and-play. (Got them in my 1500).
Thanks! All the tupperware is removed, the only plastic left on is the trunk/saddlebags and the headlights.

I am looking at converting the headlights, positioning lights, and the cornering lights to LED lights. I am also not sure if I want the cornering lights on all the time.

So based on what you say about hooking up the ground wires to a switch I could possibly piggy back onto one of the current switches, either the one controlling the ring of fire, or my other forward lights?
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:11 am

It looks like you did a great job on your driveline lubrication!

As for getting the shaft into the back of the U-joint - I've had it slip right in there on the very first try, and I've also spent 45+ minutes swearing and sweating trying to get that damn thing in there. I don't know if it's just luck of the draw, or if I just haven't yet discovered the magic to get it to go in easily. Glad to hear you got it on the first try!

DougEFresh1123

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:27 am

WingAdmin wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:11 am
It looks like you did a great job on your driveline lubrication!

As for getting the shaft into the back of the U-joint - I've had it slip right in there on the very first try, and I've also spent 45+ minutes swearing and sweating trying to get that damn thing in there. I don't know if it's just luck of the draw, or if I just haven't yet discovered the magic to get it to go in easily. Glad to hear you got it on the first try!
Thank you! I think it is just pure luck, I'm really beginning to think these inanimate objects have a mind of their own and are completely capable of determining when to cooperate. Based on your how-to article I was lining up my vocab list and nowhere in the top one hundred was "That was easy!"

As indicated in one of my earlier posts, it doesn't look like these parts were lubed using a moly post. Do you have some pictures of how the moly paste will break down and deteriorate over time?
Attachments

To me this looks like standard ball bearing grease or general purpose lithium grease.
To me this looks like standard ball bearing grease or general purpose lithium grease.

Will Moly paste really spread out like that during use?
Will Moly paste really spread out like that during use?

'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:50 am

Hi Doug,

I agree. It looks to me like someone used standard, non-Moly grease on your shaft splines.

Your "spider" however looks like it had Moly on it. That's what I would expect to see when it is pulled off. The carrier grease in the moly paste does tend to work its way out and get flung out concentrically like you see there, but the molybdenum stays as a very thin layer between the actual spline teeth. That's why you can't use regular grease - the grease gets flung out leaving nothing left to lubricate the splines. The moly is specifically used for situations like this, where grease would otherwise get squeezed out.