Bluetooth Communication Question

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
mterraci
Motorcycle: 2007 Honda Goldwing

Bluetooth Communication Question

Post by mterraci » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:07 pm

I have a question regarding the best way for a motorcycle driver and passenger to communicate while riding:
Should I buy Honda equipment and plug into the motorcycle intercom system to chat with my passenger or would I be better off to get a couple of the new bluetooth units (Sena, etc.)? I'm concerned that 2 bluetooth units might not function properly if the 2 helmets utilizing them are literally a foot apart on the same motorcycle. Is having the 2 bluetooth units that close together going to cause problems such as squealing???
I appreciate any feedback and insight.

MiWinger51
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200A Aspencade Sold in 2018 to a collector.
2006 GL 1800 audio comfort navi
1972 CB500 four (sold long ago, too bad)

Re: Bluetooth Communication Question

Post by MiWinger51 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:10 pm

I use a scala rider bluetooth to communicate with my wife while we are riding. It also connects to my phone which allows me to call and answer calls while riding. I also play music that is stored on my phone. I have no problem conversing with her .
Live to Ride---Ride to Live
Al

Magic23
Motorcycle: 2003 Goldwing GL1800
2005 Harley Davidson Road King Classic

Post by Magic23 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:17 pm

I have a Sena system. It worked great for about 3 years then the batteries would not hold a charge. They worked great when the wife was riding as a passenger as well as when she rode her own bike.
Tom

C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Post by C-dub » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:13 pm

I think the "squeeling" issue you're worried about was an issue with rf transmitting devices. That's not how BT works and is not an issue. Today's BT enabled helmets and helmet setups are designed to be used between other riders and rider and passenger.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

dtrider
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Post by dtrider » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:56 am

The squealing that you mention is caused by a positive audio feedback loop that happens when a speaker is placed too close to the microphone that feed it. Sound received by the microphone is amplified and fed to the speaker. The output of the speaker then feeds into the microphone, which amplifies it again and sends it to the speaker. This loop repeats until you hear the squeal. The frequency of the squeal is determined by the acoustic characteristics of the microphone, the speaker, the room they are in, directional characteristics of the microphone, ..... Look up "Larsen Effect" for more info.

It pretty much won't happen with a motorcycle helmet headset. Because the speakers are intended to be placed right next to you ears, they don't typically have a strong output and they can't really be heard outside of the helmet that they are mounted in. You would probably have to have your microphone inside of your partners helmet and right next to the speakers in order for any possibility of a feedback loop getting started. This would be true of either a hard-wired system or a blue-tooth system, so you shouldn't let that be the deciding factor.

However it is possible to hear a whine over the headset when the motorcycle is running if you have an audio signal coming from the bike. This isn't an audio feedback but instead is an induced signal caused by the audio equipment on the bike picking up electrical emissions from the engine. You can deal with this by adding a ground-loop isolation transformer to the audio line.

Hard-wired headsets can have better sound quality (although blue-tooth systems have come a long way) and they have the definite advantage of not needing to be recharged all the time. Blue-tooth systems have the advantage of not needing to be plugged in to the bike plus they can be paired with your cell phone (take phone calls on the road), blue-tooth capable MP3 player (listen to you own music), or external GPS (turn-by-turn instructions for the driver). I've used both hard-wired headsets and blue-tooth headsets, and personally I like the Sena 20S blue-tooth headset.

/dwight
Every day is a good day for a bike ride. Some days are just better than others.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Post by redial » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:21 am

I think some noise might be tamed if you turn the helmet upside, because Bluetooth was made in Australia :D

Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.