what i've done so far

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
quasi2008
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I INTERSTATE

what i've done so far

Post by quasi2008 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:19 am

on 06 oct I picked up a 82 gl1100i, 72,000 miles. had sit for awhile. so far I've done the following: gates timing belts and gates idlers w/new tension springs, adjusted valves, fork seals and juice, both throttle cables, choke cable, clutch cable, 7 volt regulator in gauge cluster, lubed the speedo and tach cables, fuel lines and filter (tank was pretty clean), oil and filter, plug wires and plugs, brake pads, rebuilt all the calipers, (rear caliper failed, it had been hammered on), front and rear wheel bearings, new Dunlop tires, rocker cover gaskets, rebuilt the carbs and synced them, greased the final drive cogs with 77 moly, starter solenoid, repaired some lighting wires, soaked/flushed radiator with vinegar/distilled water, new radiator hoses, new thermostat and coolant, all new stainless steel braided brake lines front and rear, removed brake pedal and cleaned and lubed it, rebuilt both brake master cylinders, and cleaned every electrical connection I could get to. all bulbs are being changed to led's. the 7" headlight is being changed to a 7" led unit. and, made a new lexan windshield. WHEW!

have obtained a rear caliper from an 83 aspencade that is sitting on the bench stripped and cleaned and waiting on new O rings to get here.
this winter (which has arrived today cause it is now white outside), will change out the fuel pump and the petcock, and prob the neck bearings.
should be ready to hit the road when the wx breaks! told the wife when i got it, "it just needs the brakes fixed" :)

man can't live on air alone!

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1500F6C Valkyrie
1982 CX500 Turbo (Historic registration - finally)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500 (sold)

Re: what i've done so far

Post by Aussie81Interstate » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:13 pm

You would have certainly been out of her hair by being in the shed fixing those pesky brakes lol.

It's like a jigsaw puzzle - when you start on one thing - you think - oh well I better do that then that then something else - lo and behold I have a brand new bike - or at least it should be with all the maintenance and time it has taken me to put it back together - yes sir - those brakes - lol :)

quasi2008
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I INTERSTATE

Re: what i've done so far

Post by quasi2008 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:38 pm

:) :) heck the tires that were on it were installed back in 1988! so ya can just imagine when the last real maintenance was done. once I got the bike in the garage and started giving it the evil eye, I just got a sheet of paper and pencil and made a list. its been fun and its been aggravating at times to, but it has been worth it. I've taken 2 short "test" rides to see how the "brakes" were doing, and wished i'd got a Goldwing years ago. Pesky brakes! :)
man can't live on air alone!