Left saddle bag will not open


Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
  • Sponsored Links
Post Reply
User avatar
Maddman
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:51 pm
Location: New port richey fla
Motorcycle: 2006 gl 1800

Left saddle bag will not open

Post by Maddman » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:49 am



Hello,I read the thread about the emergency plunger,but I could find no information on what to do if that didnt work. It is the front latch that is not releasing. Any help with this issue will be appreciated.



User avatar
Goldwinger365
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:24 pm
Location: Madison,Wi. USA
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 GL 1800

Re: Left saddle bag will not open

Post by Goldwinger365 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:44 am

I had my right saddlebag stuck shut,used the plunger,still wouldn't release,held down on plunger while using palm and tapping in latch area,finally opened,found the latch hooks were loose and twisting sideways. Once I tightened them in proper position, have worked perfectly. Hope this helps.

User avatar
GoldWingrGreg
Posts: 325
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:18 am
Location: Zephyrhills, Florida
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500
03 GL1800
04 GL1800(abs)
05 GL1800(abs)
07 GL1800(abs)

Re: Left saddle bag will not open

Post by GoldWingrGreg » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:16 pm

Are you able to open the other door using the "plunger" method. If so, try removing the rear, inner, center cover inside the trunk. It only takes a minute ... 5 screws with the center 3 being machined type. Once the cover is off, remove the cable and try pulling on it further. If that does not work, then the hinges will need pulled from the underside to the bike. I believe those bolts are tamper resistance torx bolts.
Attachments



User avatar
tamathumper
Posts: 93
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:02 pm
Location: Day, NY
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800A

Re: Left saddle bag will not open

Post by tamathumper » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:37 pm

Is the saddle bag crammed full of stuff? If so, the stuff might be pressing out pretty firmly on the door, so pressing inward with your palm in the area where the latch is stuck while you pull the release lever might help the latch actuate.
'03 GL1800A | Porsche 968 | Ford F-150 | Skidoo GSX (2) | Seadoo GTI (2) | Suzuki ATV (2)
A.A.O.N.M.S. | NRA Endowment | Gun Owners of America | Oath Keepers

User avatar
Maddman
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:51 pm
Location: New port richey fla
Motorcycle: 2006 gl 1800

Re: Left saddle bag will not open

Post by Maddman » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:51 pm

Goldwinger365 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:44 am
I had my right saddlebag stuck shut,used the plunger,still wouldn't release,held down on plunger while using palm and tapping in latch area,finally opened,found the latch hooks were loose and twisting sideways. Once I tightened them in proper position, have worked perfectly. Hope this helps.
Hey goldwinger365,tks for the resonse,I've tried ever combo ( while holding the plunger in)finesse to beating the crapp out of it . The front latch will just not release.

User avatar
Maddman
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:51 pm
Location: New port richey fla
Motorcycle: 2006 gl 1800

Re: Left saddle bag will not open

Post by Maddman » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:59 pm

GoldWingrGreg wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:16 pm
Are you able to open the other door using the "plunger" method. If so, try removing the rear, inner, center cover inside the trunk. It only takes a minute ... 5 screws with the center 3 being machined type. Once the cover is off, remove the cable and try pulling on it further. If that does not work, then the hinges will need pulled from the underside to the bike. I believe those bolts are tamper resistance torx bolts.
Thanks GoldwigrGreg, I will investigate thos angles further ,the right side is operating perfectly fine.

User avatar
Maddman
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:51 pm
Location: New port richey fla
Motorcycle: 2006 gl 1800

Re: Left saddle bag will not open

Post by Maddman » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:04 pm

tamathumper wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:37 pm
Is the saddle bag crammed full of stuff? If so, the stuff might be pressing out pretty firmly on the door, so pressing inward with your palm in the area where the latch is stuck while you pull the release lever might help the latch actuate.
No tamathumper there is only my rain gear plenty of room for that.

User avatar
C-dub
Posts: 245
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:29 pm
Location: DFW, Texas
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Re: Left saddle bag will not open

Post by C-dub » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:31 pm

I hope you're able to resolve this without spending a bundle. That front latch on mine broke on a recent trip and wouldn't latch. I had a roll of duct tape with me and taped it up to the roof of the bag and it then latched.

When I got home and to my dealer a week later they covered it under warranty. Would have been roughly $900 + labor.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

User avatar
Maddman
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:51 pm
Location: New port richey fla
Motorcycle: 2006 gl 1800

Re: Left saddle bag will not open

Post by Maddman » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:02 pm

C-dub wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:31 pm
I hope you're able to resolve this without spending a bundle. That front latch on mine broke on a recent trip and wouldn't latch. I had a roll of duct tape with me and taped it up to the roof of the bag and it then latched.

When I got home and to my dealer a week later they covered it under warranty. Would have been roughly $900 + labor.
Ouch! Thats what I'm afraid of c-dub,hopefully I can get it open without the dreaded dealership greasing lol.

User avatar
joeincalif
Posts: 647
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:39 am
Location: Fresno, Ca
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Re: Left saddle bag will not open

Post by joeincalif » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:43 pm

If all else fails you can probably find a used bag on line or from a trike dealer and rip the old one off the bike. It will be a lot cheaper than paying a dealer
Image
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

User avatar
Maddman
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:51 pm
Location: New port richey fla
Motorcycle: 2006 gl 1800

Re: Left saddle bag will not open

Post by Maddman » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:57 pm

Tks Joe,thats not a bad idea to keep in my pocket.

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 19867
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Left saddle bag will not open

Post by WingAdmin » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:56 pm

I had this happen to my GL1500 trunk - nothing I tried would get it to release, even trying to release it from underneath, fishing up to the mechanism.

What I ended up doing in the end was removing the seat, drilling a small hole in the front of the trunk (where it would be covered by the seat), and fit tools through there to disassemble the latching mechanism from inside. I fished an endoscopic camera with a light in so I could see what I was doing.

Once finished, I bonded a new piece of ABS over the hole I had drilled. Good as new!

User avatar
Wingsconsin
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:47 pm
Location: Sussex, Wisconsin (West of Milwaukee)
Motorcycle: Current Rides -
2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
2003 GL1800 - Illusion Blue
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Past rides -
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1980 GL1100 - Custom Cobalt Blue
1985 GL1200 Aspencade Brown
1983 CX500 Custom Red
1982 CX500 Custom Blue
1978 CX500 Standard Black
1982 Suzuki GS650 Red
Contact:

Re: Left saddle bag will not open

Post by Wingsconsin » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:24 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:56 pm
I had this happen to my GL1500 trunk - nothing I tried would get it to release, even trying to release it from underneath, fishing up to the mechanism.

What I ended up doing in the end was removing the seat, drilling a small hole in the front of the trunk (where it would be covered by the seat), and fit tools through there to disassemble the latching mechanism from inside. I fished an endoscopic camera with a light in so I could see what I was doing.

Once finished, I bonded a new piece of ABS over the hole I had drilled. Good as new!
Good grief -- I would be tempted to buy a new bag and smash the old one open with a big a$$ hammer .. :evil:


Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.


Motorcycle Adventure Storys
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

Post Reply