Front wheel chatter


Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Post Reply
User avatar
eastkytriker
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:37 pm
Location: grayson, ky.
Motorcycle: 1990 Goldwing 1500-motortrike conversion
2008 Goldwing 1800/ Roadsmith HTS 1800

Front wheel chatter

Post by eastkytriker » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:42 am



Hello folks. On my 1990 goldwing/motortrike I have a loud chatter noise in the front wheel at slow speed. Break pads almost new, Wheel bearing changed. When you spin the wheel by hand noise is loud but at highway speed not noticeable. If calipers removed and spun by hand noise gone. Speedo drive makes slight noise. Removed cable and lubricated. Thanks in advance



User avatar
aj1500
Posts: 320
Joined: Fri May 29, 2015 8:05 am
Location: Savannah Ga
Motorcycle: 97 1500 SE
Motorvation II sidecar
Double Dark Side # 1522
Goodyear Fuel max 175/60 R16
PILOT ACTIV 130/70 18
USCA# 8913

Re: Front wheel chatter

Post by aj1500 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:00 pm

double check your little collars at the bottom bolt of the caliper and make sure it's not in going the wrong way
don't ask why I know that can cause strange noises :roll:

User avatar
eastkytriker
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:37 pm
Location: grayson, ky.
Motorcycle: 1990 Goldwing 1500-motortrike conversion
2008 Goldwing 1800/ Roadsmith HTS 1800

Re: Front wheel chatter

Post by eastkytriker » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:56 pm

aj1500 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:00 pm
double check your little collars at the bottom bolt of the caliper and make sure it's not in going the wrong way
don't ask why I know that can cause strange noises :roll:
I lost one of those little suckers down in the center of the wheel once, Had a hard time getting it out. Do they go in from the outside in or the inside out?

89 1500
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:29 pm
Location: Texas
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500

Re: Front wheel chatter

Post by 89 1500 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:15 pm

My 92 does it and it's in the brake pads. I'll address it at brake time. Either the anti rattle clips fell out or broke. Has no effect on braking on mine just noisy sometimes at low speed.

User avatar
eastkytriker
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:37 pm
Location: grayson, ky.
Motorcycle: 1990 Goldwing 1500-motortrike conversion
2008 Goldwing 1800/ Roadsmith HTS 1800

Re: Front wheel chatter

Post by eastkytriker » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:24 pm

89 1500 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:15 pm
My 92 does it and it's in the brake pads. I'll address it at brake time. Either the anti rattle clips fell out or broke. Has no effect on braking on mine just noisy sometimes at low speed.
My clips are good. I even put duct tape on back of pads, No help

89 1500
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:29 pm
Location: Texas
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500

Re: Front wheel chatter

Post by 89 1500 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:05 pm

Hmmmmm. Pins that hold the pads dirty or the slider pins that the caliper rides on dirty and not letting the pads return fully. Dirt around the caliper pistons not letting them return fully or a combination of the three. I usually go through a few cans of brakekleen decontaminating the calipers and all the hardware. Also Ebay/Amazon pads aren't the greatest, manufacturing tolerances are close at best. Alot of the problems I used to have went away using quality pads.

User avatar
eastkytriker
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:37 pm
Location: grayson, ky.
Motorcycle: 1990 Goldwing 1500-motortrike conversion
2008 Goldwing 1800/ Roadsmith HTS 1800

Re: Front wheel chatter

Post by eastkytriker » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:20 pm

89 1500 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:05 pm
Hmmmmm. Pins that hold the pads dirty or the slider pins that the caliper rides on dirty and not letting the pads return fully. Dirt around the caliper pistons not letting them return fully or a combination of the three. I usually go through a few cans of brakekleen decontaminating the calipers and all the hardware. Also Ebay/Amazon pads aren't the greatest, manufacturing tolerances are close at best. Alot of the problems I used to have went away using quality pads.
Everything was cleaned and lubed except the pistons, I really dont like to mess with them if i don't have to. The pads are not OEM but came from cyclemax EBC organic pads.

89 1500
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:29 pm
Location: Texas
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500

Re: Front wheel chatter

Post by 89 1500 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:45 am

I use EBC religiously. My 89 had dirty pistons on the rear. Pads didn't last a month because the pistons couldn't return properly in the bore. I didn't really hear a noise until it was too late. I used brake cleaner and corrosion compound to clean the part of the piston exposed and checked for operation each time I went over them. Anyway if your calipers are sliding smoothly on the bracket and the pins are clean, obviously good anti rattle clips on the new pads. The only other things I can think of is the rotors are warped, might recheck the caliper or the wheel is misaligned. There's a bushing that rides in a bearing on the upper bracket bolt and one on the bottom bolt that go's through the anti dive. It's a reach but maybe the bushings are worn or missing.

User avatar
eastkytriker
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:37 pm
Location: grayson, ky.
Motorcycle: 1990 Goldwing 1500-motortrike conversion
2008 Goldwing 1800/ Roadsmith HTS 1800

Re: Front wheel chatter

Post by eastkytriker » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:27 am

Thank everyone for your replies, I realigned the forks and wheel by different method and noise is gone.

89 1500
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:29 pm
Location: Texas
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500

Re: Front wheel chatter

Post by 89 1500 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:39 am

Glad you got it sorted out.



Post Reply