Boggy acceleration heavy vibration

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
saamiam
Motorcycle: 1985 Aspencade gl1200

Boggy acceleration heavy vibration

Post by saamiam » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:20 am

Merry Christmas!!

I recently got my first wing. She's an 85 Aspencade. Ive ridden my whole life but never a wing so I dont really have a benchmark for how it should perform. It has some issues and I was hoping for some guru advice.. The Issues are:

1.) when starting and warming the bike and only when the choke is on it sounds like there is a vacum leak on the right side but cant see or find and obvious unplugged hoses or ports on the carbs.
2.) Vibrations, during heavy acceleration between 2500 and 3800rpm and again on the right side, she vibrates terribly and i have to release and feather the throttle until 3800rpm, from 4,000 to 6500rpm, strong as an ox.
3.) Vibrations, when cruising at highway speeds (70 mph) the right side mirror steady vibrates while left side still as glass. And again if I throttle up while cruising at 3500rpm, the same gumball machine rattle vibration kicks in until I either downshift or get to 4800. Doesnt matter which gear im cruising in. Its the 2800 to 4800
4.) Number 3 cylinder spark plug is fouled black soot type. Not wet.
5.) right side exhaust is running colder than left side.

Mods.
I removed the ehaust connecter and run 2 seperate 2 into 1.

Any tricks or known historical quickfixes most appreciated.

Thanks

quasi2008
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I INTERSTATE

Re: Boggy acceleration heavy vibration

Post by quasi2008 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:22 am

mine was rattling like a chain in a garbage can. I suggest rebuilding your carbs then syncing them and installing new timing belts first thing along with new plug wires. and of course fuel lines and filter. wouldn't hurt to drain the fuel tank and give it the white vinegar treatment.
man can't live on air alone!

ekvh
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Post by ekvh » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:04 am

12’s don’t have a real choke, it’s a starter jet to dump more fuel. If you’re hearing something like a leak on the right side, investigate that a bit before a full tear down.

Try waving a propane torch around the intake runners where they meet the head. (Have a fire extinguisher handy or really big lungs) They can often have a cracked or mangled o-ring there and allow a lean mix to be drawn in. If the bike suddenly picks up rpm, you have a leak. They can also leak around the rubber connectors at the tops of the runners. Many times we forget to tighten them. Best time is with a warm motor so the rubber is supple.

If you operate the “choke” lever, you’ll see the mechanism that opens the starter jets on the upper outside of the carbs. Make sure they are all returning to stock position. One sticking open will throw the sync off.

saamiam
Motorcycle: 1985 Aspencade gl1200

Post by saamiam » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:25 pm

Solved!!!
The number 3 carb, the cover was loose!! The Donkey I bought it from had missmatched sxrews and 2 were looose because they were too long so he screwed it as far as he could and left it.. who does that??

After I cleaned up the needle, slide and reconditioned the rubber plenum she was a whole new machine... soo happy.. Time for Yosi and I to go for a ride..