Third Annual GoldwingDocs Gathering - Sep 11-15, 2019


Reports and stories from trips, planning of gatherings, questions about how to get there!
  • Sponsored Links
User avatar
BlueThunder
Posts: 240
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:27 pm
Location: Long Island, NY
Motorcycle: 2014 CTX1300 Deluxe (BlackThunder aka Predator)
1977 GL1000 (Ox)
Contact:

Re: Third Annual GoldwingDocs Gathering - Sep 11-15, 2019

Post by BlueThunder » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:16 pm



Saturday's Routes are HERE!

Saturday's route had to be pulled as it was pointed out that NC197, which begged to be ridden due to its switchbacks, numerous curves and gorgeous scenery, had a 6 mile stretch of poorly graded gravel. Viewing satellite images confirmed that the there is indeed such a stretch. So, a work around was developed and it is available for download below.

WARNING! The GPS you intend to use will dictate what routes you will use. There are two (2) versions. One for Garmin (includes iPhones running the Scenic app, and Android running the Kurviger app), and the second is for Honda GPS found on GoldWings.

Note: If you are using Kurviger on a mobile phone, you MUST specify that 75 waypoints are to be used. The default is 25. If you use the default number of waypoints, you will be taken off the planned route. I do not know whether Scenic has a default and the number of waypoints increased. Honda Planner has a maximum number of waypoints of 25 and cannot be changed. However, we adjusted waypoints in HP to route correctly.

If you will be using a Garmin, running Scenic or Kurviger, download the files ThurRide.gpx, FriRide.gpx and SatNew.gpx
If you will be using a Honda GPS, download the files HPThurRide.gpx, HPFriRide.gpx and HPSatNew.gpx
Note: Not all Honda GPS's can download GPX routes.

If you are unable to download the routes, send me a PM with your email and I'll send them to you. Please let me know what GPS you have.
Attachments

HPSatNew.gpx
(2.38 KiB) Downloaded 7 times


SatRideNew.gpx
(6.17 KiB) Downloaded 17 times



_____
Brian

2014 Honda CTX1300 (BlackThunder aka Predator)
1977 Honda GL1000 (Ox)

User avatar
MiWinger51
Posts: 277
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:54 am
Location: Clio, Michigan
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200A Aspencade Sold in 2018 to a collector.
2006 GL 1800 audio comfort navi, ABS
1972 CB500 four (sold long ago, too bad)

Re: Third Annual GoldwingDocs Gathering - Sep 11-15, 2019

Post by MiWinger51 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:04 am


MaggieValleyNorth.gpx
(2.92 KiB) Downloaded 22 times

WEDNESDAY BONUS RIDE

We are planning a bonus ride on Wednesday afternoon for those who plan to arrive in the early afternoon. I have mad a route that heads north out of Maggie Valley and make a 125 mile loop with an approximate total ride time of 3+hours. We plan to leave the hotel no later than 2:30 so that we will arrive back there by 6:00. If you plan to ride along here is the chosen route's gpx file. Hope you can make it!
Live to Ride---Ride to Live
Al

emwarrenfeltz
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:46 pm
Location: Waynesboro, PA
Motorcycle: 2013 Honda Goldwing

Re: Third Annual GoldwingDocs Gathering - Sep 11-15, 2019

Post by emwarrenfeltz » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:19 pm

Al, Brian,
Brought all the routes in to Honda TripPlanner for a look. Some great routes! Should be excellent riding. Now if all the week weather cooperates we are going to have a great time.

See you all in a few days.
Em

User avatar
jbaviera
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:16 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500A Aspencade
2009 Yamaha VStar 950 Tourer (traded for the GW)
1985 Honda VF500C (sold)
Contact:

Re: Third Annual GoldwingDocs Gathering - Sep 11-15, 2019

Post by jbaviera » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:24 pm

emwarrenfeltz wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:19 pm
Al, Brian,
Brought all the routes in to Honda TripPlanner for a look. Some great routes! Should be excellent riding. Now if all the week weather cooperates we are going to have a great time.

See you all in a few days.
Em
Brought all mine in through Basecamp. If the weather does what it says here ( https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Ma ... bd11732efe ), it's going to be a long, wet weekend ( Just has to make up for the last two years :cry: )!
Making sawdust with 100% efficiency!

GL1100Mike
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:15 am
Location: Pleasant City, Ohio
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I Interstate
1993 GL1500A Aspencade

Re: Third Annual GoldwingDocs Gathering - Sep 11-15, 2019

Post by GL1100Mike » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:45 pm

What day is the Tail of the Dragon scheduled for. Thank you, Mike.

User avatar
BlueThunder
Posts: 240
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:27 pm
Location: Long Island, NY
Motorcycle: 2014 CTX1300 Deluxe (BlackThunder aka Predator)
1977 GL1000 (Ox)
Contact:

Re: Third Annual GoldwingDocs Gathering - Sep 11-15, 2019

Post by BlueThunder » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:50 am

jbaviera wrote: If the weather does what it says here ( https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Ma ... bd11732efe ), it's going to be a long, wet weekend ( Just has to make up for the last two years :cry: )!
Keep in mind that a 40% chance of rain is really a 60% chance of sun :D
_____
Brian

2014 Honda CTX1300 (BlackThunder aka Predator)
1977 Honda GL1000 (Ox)

User avatar
jbaviera
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:16 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500A Aspencade
2009 Yamaha VStar 950 Tourer (traded for the GW)
1985 Honda VF500C (sold)
Contact:

Re: Third Annual GoldwingDocs Gathering - Sep 11-15, 2019

Post by jbaviera » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:33 am

BlueThunder wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:50 am
jbaviera wrote: If the weather does what it says here ( https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Ma ... bd11732efe ), it's going to be a long, wet weekend ( Just has to make up for the last two years :cry: )!
Keep in mind that a 40% chance of rain is really a 60% chance of sun :D
While true, it has been my experience of late, that I'll be within that 40% area that it's pouring down!
Making sawdust with 100% efficiency!

User avatar
BlueThunder
Posts: 240
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:27 pm
Location: Long Island, NY
Motorcycle: 2014 CTX1300 Deluxe (BlackThunder aka Predator)
1977 GL1000 (Ox)
Contact:

Re: Third Annual GoldwingDocs Gathering - Sep 11-15, 2019

Post by BlueThunder » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:16 am

jbaviera wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:33 am
BlueThunder wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:50 am
jbaviera wrote: If the weather does what it says here ( https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Ma ... bd11732efe ), it's going to be a long, wet weekend ( Just has to make up for the last two years :cry: )!
Keep in mind that a 40% chance of rain is really a 60% chance of sun :D
While true, it has been my experience of late, that I'll be within that 40% area that it's pouring down!
Trying to keep the rain gods at bay...
If all atrendees bring rain gear, it won't rain. Bring your sunglasses.... 😎
_____
Brian

2014 Honda CTX1300 (BlackThunder aka Predator)
1977 Honda GL1000 (Ox)

User avatar
MiWinger51
Posts: 277
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:54 am
Location: Clio, Michigan
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200A Aspencade Sold in 2018 to a collector.
2006 GL 1800 audio comfort navi, ABS
1972 CB500 four (sold long ago, too bad)

Re: Third Annual GoldwingDocs Gathering - Sep 11-15, 2019

Post by MiWinger51 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:21 pm

Last year we had the same forecast if I remember right. Anybody remember what the actual weather was like? We might have to adjust when each ride is planned but I'm betting it will all be good. If it rains, I will don my rain gear and be just fine.
Live to Ride---Ride to Live
Al

User avatar
Donald Maurizio
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:03 pm
Location: St Augustine Florida
Motorcycle: 2013 gl1800 with 2018 California Side Car kit

Re: Third Annual GoldwingDocs Gathering - Sep 11-15, 2019

Post by Donald Maurizio » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:18 pm



Well if you ride you're going to get wet sometime. Goes with the territory but hopefully it will cooperate and be dryer than wetter. Looking forward to being there. First time to attend. And by the way I had not heard of Kurviger. Was going to us another program. Don't actually use a gps but use Waze a lot. Anyway Kurviger loaded just fine on my Moto g5 android and I messed with the program on the computer. Works pretty well. All the rides loaded to the phone with no problem and come right up with no problem. So thanks for the heads up. By the way this was how we did the Dragon last time. Looking forward to trying it on the trike.

User avatar
hwydoc2
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:59 pm
Location: Kalamazoo, Mi
Motorcycle: 2000 GL 1500 25th anniversary edition

Re: Third Annual GoldwingDocs Gathering - Sep 11-15, 2019

Post by hwydoc2 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:45 pm

Don't know how you got the trip GPX's into Honda trip planner, had to put them into base camp to move them to my Garmin. But they are all loaded, including Wednesdays ride. Will be in some time Wed, hopefully in the morning. Have to pull out early on Saturday as my traveling companion has to be back for a 0800 medical appointment on 9/16/18. Looking forward to meeting everyone and enjoying the rides. Thanks to all who did the background grunt work.

Al in Kazoo

User avatar
BlueThunder
Posts: 240
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:27 pm
Location: Long Island, NY
Motorcycle: 2014 CTX1300 Deluxe (BlackThunder aka Predator)
1977 GL1000 (Ox)
Contact:

Re: Third Annual GoldwingDocs Gathering - Sep 11-15, 2019

Post by BlueThunder » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:59 pm

GL1100Mike wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:45 pm
What day is the Tail of the Dragon scheduled for. Thank you, Mike.
It is scheduled for Thursday as we would like to avoid it during the weekend due to higher volume of traffic.
_____
Brian

2014 Honda CTX1300 (BlackThunder aka Predator)
1977 Honda GL1000 (Ox)

User avatar
BlueThunder
Posts: 240
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:27 pm
Location: Long Island, NY
Motorcycle: 2014 CTX1300 Deluxe (BlackThunder aka Predator)
1977 GL1000 (Ox)
Contact:

Re: Third Annual GoldwingDocs Gathering - Sep 11-15, 2019

Post by BlueThunder » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:03 pm

hwydoc2 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:45 pm
Don't know how you got the trip GPX's into Honda trip planner, had to put them into base camp to move them to my Garmin. But they are all loaded, including Wednesdays ride. Will be in some time Wed, hopefully in the morning. Have to pull out early on Saturday as my traveling companion has to be back for a 0800 medical appointment on 9/16/18. Looking forward to meeting everyone and enjoying the rides. Thanks to all who did the background grunt work.

Al in Kazoo
Al in Kazoo, you need to go back and read what file to use for a Garmin. You should not be using the HP files or Honda Planner to move files to your Garmin. To move the Garmin route files, copy them to the GPX and Current folders. That's it. Using HP files for a Gamin will get you to each waypoint but not necessarily the way we will be going.
_____
Brian

2014 Honda CTX1300 (BlackThunder aka Predator)
1977 Honda GL1000 (Ox)

User avatar
BlueThunder
Posts: 240
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:27 pm
Location: Long Island, NY
Motorcycle: 2014 CTX1300 Deluxe (BlackThunder aka Predator)
1977 GL1000 (Ox)
Contact:

Re: Third Annual GoldwingDocs Gathering - Sep 11-15, 2019

Post by BlueThunder » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:06 pm

MiWinger51 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:21 pm
Last year we had the same forecast if I remember right. Anybody remember what the actual weather was like? We might have to adjust when each ride is planned but I'm betting it will all be good. If it rains, I will don my rain gear and be just fine.
Also keep in mind that we will be wandering in and out of various valleys and behind mountains. If it rains in one valley or one side of a mountain, doesn't necessarily mean it will rain in another. Just trying to keep positive! 8-)
_____
Brian

2014 Honda CTX1300 (BlackThunder aka Predator)
1977 Honda GL1000 (Ox)

User avatar
MiWinger51
Posts: 277
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:54 am
Location: Clio, Michigan
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200A Aspencade Sold in 2018 to a collector.
2006 GL 1800 audio comfort navi, ABS
1972 CB500 four (sold long ago, too bad)

Re: Third Annual GoldwingDocs Gathering - Sep 11-15, 2019

Post by MiWinger51 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:00 pm

Last year it was supposed to rain and we never got a drop. 3 days of perfect weather. Maybe we get lucky again.
Live to Ride---Ride to Live
Al

User avatar
jbaviera
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:16 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500A Aspencade
2009 Yamaha VStar 950 Tourer (traded for the GW)
1985 Honda VF500C (sold)
Contact:

Re: Third Annual GoldwingDocs Gathering - Sep 11-15, 2019

Post by jbaviera » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:50 pm

BlueThunder wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:16 am
jbaviera wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:33 am
BlueThunder wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:50 am

Keep in mind that a 40% chance of rain is really a 60% chance of sun :D
While true, it has been my experience of late, that I'll be within that 40% area that it's pouring down!
Trying to keep the rain gods at bay...
If all atrendees bring rain gear, it won't rain. Bring your sunglasses.... 😎
YES, We MUST keep them at bay. My rain gear stay in the bike at all times.
Making sawdust with 100% efficiency!

User avatar
jbaviera
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:16 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500A Aspencade
2009 Yamaha VStar 950 Tourer (traded for the GW)
1985 Honda VF500C (sold)
Contact:

Re: Third Annual GoldwingDocs Gathering - Sep 11-15, 2019

Post by jbaviera » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:54 pm

MiWinger51 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:00 pm
Last year it was supposed to rain and we never got a drop. 3 days of perfect weather. Maybe we get lucky again.
Yep, praying for dry as well!
Making sawdust with 100% efficiency!

User avatar
MiWinger51
Posts: 277
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:54 am
Location: Clio, Michigan
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200A Aspencade Sold in 2018 to a collector.
2006 GL 1800 audio comfort navi, ABS
1972 CB500 four (sold long ago, too bad)

Re: Third Annual GoldwingDocs Gathering - Sep 11-15, 2019

Post by MiWinger51 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:22 pm

Two Days

We will be carving curves and going up and down mountains

PERFECT
Live to Ride---Ride to Live
Al

User avatar
BPMJim
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:04 am
Location: Niagara on the Lake, ON Canada
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800A

Re: Third Annual GoldwingDocs Gathering - Sep 11-15, 2019

Post by BPMJim » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:56 pm

Well, my riding starts tomorrow (Tuesday) as it will take 2 days to get there for me. Meeting Emmert half way so we can ride together. Looking forward to seeing the gang and meeting new friends.

User avatar
BlueThunder
Posts: 240
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:27 pm
Location: Long Island, NY
Motorcycle: 2014 CTX1300 Deluxe (BlackThunder aka Predator)
1977 GL1000 (Ox)
Contact:

Re: Third Annual GoldwingDocs Gathering - Sep 11-15, 2019

Post by BlueThunder » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:23 pm

I will be leaving NY around 10pm. See you'all Wednesday for the bonus ride. Ride safe and I will see everyone at Maggie Valley.
_____
Brian

2014 Honda CTX1300 (BlackThunder aka Predator)
1977 Honda GL1000 (Ox)

User avatar
Metal Mangler
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:53 pm
Location: lyman SC
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing
2012 Goldwing (totaled got rear ended)
1988 Goldwing (Sold)
1980 Goldwing (Sold)

Re: Third Annual GoldwingDocs Gathering - Sep 11-15, 2019

Post by Metal Mangler » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:06 pm

I will be there early as well. Plan to do the Wed. Evening ride . Rain gear is packed. 🤞
Marvin (Shep) Shepard
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

User avatar
BPMJim
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:04 am
Location: Niagara on the Lake, ON Canada
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800A

Re: Third Annual GoldwingDocs Gathering - Sep 11-15, 2019

Post by BPMJim » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:20 pm

OK folks, I need your assistance. If anyone going to the ride has a GoPro7, I am having trouble playing the files on my laptop when I double click them or load them into 5k. They will not play at all using Windows software. So there's a challenge one evening when we're sitting around drinking beer. Probably simply a settings problem but I know on of you brilliant folks will think of this as child's play. And there's beer in it for you.

Cheers,

BPMJim

User avatar
jbaviera
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:16 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500A Aspencade
2009 Yamaha VStar 950 Tourer (traded for the GW)
1985 Honda VF500C (sold)
Contact:

Re: Third Annual GoldwingDocs Gathering - Sep 11-15, 2019

Post by jbaviera » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:18 pm

BPMJim wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:20 pm
OK folks, I need your assistance. If anyone going to the ride has a GoPro7, I am having trouble playing the files on my laptop when I double click them or load them into 5k. They will not play at all using Windows software. So there's a challenge one evening when we're sitting around drinking beer. Probably simply a settings problem but I know on of you brilliant folks will think of this as child's play. And there's beer in it for you.

Cheers,

BPMJim
Do a search for a windows media codec pack. That "should" solve the issue with Media Player.
You can also download VLC media player. It plays most media files.
Making sawdust with 100% efficiency!

User avatar
dh1952
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:15 am
Location: Delaware, Ohio
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800
2008 Suzuki VLR1800
1980 CB900 Custom
1982 CB750 Custom (sold)

Re: Third Annual GoldwingDocs Gathering - Sep 11-15, 2019

Post by dh1952 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:54 pm

:( Really disappointed to have to cancel my trip to Maggie Valley this week. I was looking forward to seeing everyone again this year. Until next time...

Stay safe!

User avatar
Engel6264
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:02 am
Location: Maggie Valley NC
Motorcycle: 2000SE 1500

Re: Third Annual GoldwingDocs Gathering - Sep 11-15, 2019

Post by Engel6264 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:29 pm

dh1952 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:54 pm
:( Really disappointed to have to cancel my trip to Maggie Valley this week. I was looking forward to seeing everyone again this year. Until next time...

Stay safe!

Hey all! I'm just trying to get ahold of all short of just coming down to the Inn. Been working and got to make a quick trip to Columbus Ohio.
My number is 828-734-4133
Will contact you all on Thursday Evening.

Angel



Post Reply