Help removing rear tire

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
DougEFresh1123
Motorcycle: 2002 Honda Magna VF750
1994 Honda Goldwing 1500SE

Help removing rear tire

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:54 am

Hello good folks. I'm trying to remove the rear tire on my 94 1500SE and I am using this method
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4626

The issue is I am trying to lift the trunk and it's not lifting.

Since I'm not mechanical I followed the directions above, dropped the muffler, removed saddlebag bolts, and loosend the bolts under the seat. Double checked everything to make sure I was doing it right and I was. I used a pry bar on the bolts under the seat to check if the bolts were loose enough and had a couple millimeters of movement.

The bike has a hitch so my first thought was the clamps on the crash bar was to tight so I removed them still not successful. I even tried a small floor jack and when it reaches a certain point it starts lifting the rear tire up.

Do I need to remove the passenger floor boards and the crashbars? If so what it the best way?

Any other ideas greatly appreciated

Since today is Wildcard Sunday I'll be watching my Bears team take on the dangereous Eagles and won't get much work done today, but wanted to get this out here before I forgot everything that was happening.

Thank you all and enjoy your Sunday.

'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

“We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.”
― Ronald Reagan

Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black
2000 Valkyrie Interstate

Re: Help removing rear tire

Post by Andy Cote » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:05 pm

go ahead and remove the crash bars for now. You said you loosened the bolts under the seat. Did you loosen or remove the lower bolts? I take them completely out. Reaching thru the pannier access holes can be a bear some times. Can't really see straight in, need a couple lights and mirror. I had luck with a 1/4" drive socket and adapter to a 3/8" ratchet. Even though the frame is slotted it can still bind on the bolts. Use the floor jack to take some of the weight while you wiggle these bolts out. Be gentle with the jack. Remember the jack is pushing in the wrong direction so apply a little pressure up but you also need to pull backwards a little as well to help slide the assembly off the bolts if you haven't removed them.

Once you have the tail end up, look at those lower mounting points. Use a file and smooth the bolting surfaces, open up the mouth of the slots like a funnel, make sure all is as nice as it can be and paint it white. I replaced these lower mounting bolts with socket head cap screws to make future maintenance easier.
DARKSIDE #1500
2018 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas

Ham Extra Class, AC1R

DougEFresh1123

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:18 am

Andy Cote wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:05 pm
Did you loosen or remove the lower bolts?
Andy - If this refers to the bolts for the saddlebags yes I removed them. The bolts I removed were the the bolts holding the mufflers on and the bolts from the saddlebags. Are there others I missed? What is the best way to get these crash bars off?

I will also try and pull back a little as I'm lifting to see if that helps any.

Just a little bit of history when replacing the shifter shaft seal I needed to pull the frame apart, so I'm guessing my 'Wing is being a stubborn pain in the arse. :lol:
Thanks - Doug
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

“We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.”
― Ronald Reagan

Andy Cote
2000 Valkyrie Interstate

Post by Andy Cote » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:06 pm

Go back to the linked post step 6. Sounds like you may not have pulled the correct bolts. You need to pop out the black round plugs about 1*1/2" diameter at the front of the saddlebag to see them. They hold the bottom of the rear subframe as well as one of the crash guard bolts(other guard bolt is visible but as some have said may be hard to get to depending on which pillion floorboards are installed).

Sorry I don't have the right pictures at this moment.

Also sorry about da Bears. When you think about it, it's harder to hit the pipes than miss them.
DARKSIDE #1500

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas

Ham Extra Class, AC1R

DougEFresh1123

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:37 pm

Andy Cote wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:06 pm
Go back to the linked post step 6. Sounds like you may not have pulled the correct bolts. You need to pop out the black round plugs about 1*1/2" diameter at the front of the saddlebag to see them. They hold the bottom of the rear subframe as well as one of the crash guard bolts(other guard bolt is visible but as some have said may be hard to get to depending on which pillion floorboards are installed).

Sorry I don't have the right pictures at this moment.

Also sorry about da Bears. When you think about it, it's harder to hit the pipes than miss them.
I pulled those plugs, the right side saddlebag has the air hose running through it and removed those bolts. I have the adjustable passenger floorboards. The bags do start to rotate upwards but after a few inches of travel they stop. I guess next step is the passenger floorboards, and crash bars. About the only plastic left on the bike other than headlights, trunk, and saddlebags is this small chrome piece and seems like I need to pull the floorboards to remove it.

I will say the Bears did better than I thought, I was actually expecting a 7-9 record. But losing this way really hurts. :cry:
Attachments

'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:42 pm

I have replaced the rear wheel and tire on my GL1500 multiple times over the years. I have to say, it appears to be a lot more work to do it the way are attempting. Especially if you have a trailer hitch installed.

It is necessary to use a motorcycle jack to do it this way but I remove the seat, left rear side cover, lower trunk cover, left saddlebag corner, and left saddlebag.
Some will do this without removing the saddlebag but I find it is easier to work with it removed. Fewer cramped quarters.
I remove the bolt that holds the left muffler and lower the muffler to allow axle removal.
I remove the lower bolt from the left shock. I remove and swing aside the rear brake caliper.
I remove the rear axle and triangular caliper bracket and drop the wheel assembly from the final drive.

Swinging the saddlebag/truck assembly up just seems a bit more intense.

In the above video, Bill makes it look easy. I'm just not as talented as he is.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

DougEFresh1123

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:53 pm

MikeB wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:42 pm
I have replaced the rear wheel and tire on my GL1500 multiple times over the years. I have to say, it appears to be a lot more work to do it the way are attempting. Especially if you have a trailer hitch installed.

It is necessary to use a motorcycle jack to do it this way but I remove the seat, left rear side cover, lower trunk cover, left saddlebag corner, and left saddlebag.
Some will do this without removing the saddlebag but I find it is easier to work with it removed. Fewer cramped quarters.
I remove the bolt that holds the left muffler and lower the muffler to allow axle removal.
I remove the lower bolt from the left shock. I remove and swing aside the rear brake caliper.
I remove the rear axle and triangular caliper bracket and drop the wheel assembly from the final drive.

Swinging the saddlebag/truck assembly up just seems a bit more intense.

In the above video, Bill makes it look easy. I'm just not as talented as he is.
Yeah that's the video I watched, and thought after finding the instructions on how to lift the trunk and saddlebags without removing them I thought "I can do this." As my wife would say "that's what you get for thinking." In theory I'm removing four bolts and loosening two and lifting, doesn't seem to complex. :?

Looking at the way my hitch is attached not sure how it would cause issues, from everything I can see it is attached to the framework supporting the saddlebags.
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

MikeB
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:06 pm

If the hitch is attached to the frame, and the saddlebag/trunk assembly is lifted, how is the wheel/tire assembly removed? Is your bike on a lift? You see in the video that the wheel/tire assembly rolls out the rear of the bike. That can't happen if the hitch is still in place.
Some hitches attach to the saddlebag frame instead of the motorcycle frame. That would mean that the hitch still needs to be removed.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

DougEFresh1123

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:17 pm

MikeB wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:06 pm
If the hitch is attached to the frame, and the saddlebag/trunk assembly is lifted, how is the wheel/tire assembly removed? Is your bike on a lift? You see in the video that the wheel/tire assembly rolls out the rear of the bike. That can't happen if the hitch is still in place.
Some hitches attach to the saddlebag frame instead of the motorcycle frame. That would mean that the hitch still needs to be removed.
If it's attached to the saddlebag framework the entire hitch should rotate up with the trunk and saddlebags and be out of the way. I have the bike on it's center stand which lifts the rear tire off the ground an inch or two.

If needed I can always put it on a my motorcycle jack.
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

MikeB
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:40 pm

Putting the bike on the jack is always my first step. Then the disassembly begins.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

DougEFresh1123

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:55 pm

MikeB wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:40 pm
Putting the bike on the jack is always my first step. Then the disassembly begins.
This is all part of my winter maintenance; see post viewtopic.php?f=6&t=46666 to get an idea of what I've been up to.

Maybe I'll get it up on the jack and put some jackstands under as well. Since this is a long term, as time allows over the winter I'm not comfortable leaving it on the jack stand since they are prone to slowly lose their pressure.

Don't think it will make a difference with this part of the project but it might save me some sore knees. :D
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

Andy Cote
2000 Valkyrie Interstate

Post by Andy Cote » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:12 pm

I have worked on a couple 1500s. On my own bike I did the disassembly, removing the saddlebag, etc. as per the manual. It had the hitch as well as the lower spoiler that wraps around the bags and rear fender and extra lights in the back of the saddlebag and the saddlebag lids. Required , I don't remember, maybe thirty bolts? Then going back together lining everything up, starting the bolts, tightening up, then taking one or two back out because I forgot something.....yada, yada, yada. Your mileage may vary.

Then I saw about the swing up technique. Looked promising. First time was a bit scary and uncooperative. But once I had it up and checked things out I knew it would work better for me. Next time was much easier.

If the hitch is moving up a couple inches then you are close to being free from the lower bolts. If you can get the other crash guards bolts loose or out them you should be there. As you are pulling the hitch back and up you might need to add some muscle (less than the floor jack!). Up some then block it, then a little more, another block or jackstand. The hitch makes a good lifting and blocking point. Watch where the two plastic inner fender halves mate up. They might appreciate a little help opening up and will definitely need to be watched going back together. Be careful of your fingers!

On the center stand is more stable than the MC jack. Just make sure you tie the stand tight to the front wheel; I used two ratchet straps. Once the saddlebag/trunk subframe moves up and forward it will change the center of gravity. If you are doing this on a normal MC jack (which should have a mechanical lock) then also use regular jackstands under the front engine guards.
DARKSIDE #1500

Ham Extra Class, AC1R

DougEFresh1123

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:38 pm

Andy Cote wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:12 pm
I have worked on a couple 1500s. On my own bike I did the disassembly, removing the saddlebag, etc. as per the manual. It had the hitch as well as the lower spoiler that wraps around the bags and rear fender and extra lights in the back of the saddlebag and the saddlebag lids. Required , I don't remember, maybe thirty bolts? Then going back together lining everything up, starting the bolts, tightening up, then taking one or two back out because I forgot something.....yada, yada, yada. Your mileage may vary.

Then I saw about the swing up technique. Looked promising. First time was a bit scary and uncooperative. But once I had it up and checked things out I knew it would work better for me. Next time was much easier.

If the hitch is moving up a couple inches then you are close to being free from the lower bolts. If you can get the other crash guards bolts loose or out them you should be there. As you are pulling the hitch back and up you might need to add some muscle (less than the floor jack!). Up some then block it, then a little more, another block or jackstand. The hitch makes a good lifting and blocking point. Watch where the two plastic inner fender halves mate up. They might appreciate a little help opening up and will definitely need to be watched going back together. Be careful of your fingers!

On the center stand is more stable than the MC jack. Just make sure you tie the stand tight to the front wheel; I used two ratchet straps. Once the saddlebag/trunk subframe moves up and forward it will change the center of gravity. If you are doing this on a normal MC jack (which should have a mechanical lock) then also use regular jackstands under the front engine guards.
Thanks for these tips, I didn't even think about the center of gravity changing and being moved forward. I'll add a chock block to the front tire. Looks like it's time to invoke the father son privilege and have him do the lifting while I keep adjusting the support block. :)
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

Andy Cote
2000 Valkyrie Interstate

Post by Andy Cote » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:05 pm

Extra hands certainly can help. Once it "releases" you'll be able to lift it up chest high in one swing. I had a five foot long 2x4 ready to prop under the hitch. I was then able to tie it safely to the overhead of the garage.
DARKSIDE #1500

Ham Extra Class, AC1R

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:13 am

I, too have a trailer hitch, it bolts to the saddlebag frame but has clamps to the rear crash bars, too.

Although I have a lift, next tire change I am going to try laying the bike on its right side and attempt it that way. Loosen the axle nut first then lay it down. I will probably still want to remove the left saddlebag for easier access. This would prove or disprove the method as a feasible way of emergency roadside tire change.
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark

DougEFresh1123

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:32 am

DenverWinger wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:13 am
I, too have a trailer hitch, it bolts to the saddlebag frame but has clamps to the rear crash bars, too.

Although I have a lift, next tire change I am going to try laying the bike on its right side and attempt it that way. Loosen the axle nut first then lay it down. I will probably still want to remove the left saddlebag for easier access. This would prove or disprove the method as a feasible way of emergency roadside tire change.
Look forward to hearing/seeing the results.
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

newday777
Location: Milford NH summer and fall Oceanside, CA winters(N San Diego) with lots of miles riden between
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry 36,000 miles

1975 CB750 K5 Planet Blue 7,800 miles

1976 CB750 K6 Anterris Red 25,000 miles

Past rides
1999A Restored and sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Post by newday777 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:07 pm

Gl1800 yes.
Gl1500 not a good plan.

DenverWinger wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:13 am

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:33 am

The rear fender inner part is actually two plastic parts. One is connected to the trunk assy, and the other (front part) is not. You should disconnect them from each other, that may be the problem you are facing.

89 1500
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500

Post by 89 1500 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:40 pm

I've always just thrown mine on the center stand, drop the left bag and rear center pirce, and muffler hanger. I guess I've done it enough times that I can get it apart fast. I'm down to having the wheel off in about 40 minutes at a relaxed pace. I replace both tires at the same time with valve stems and brake pads since it's down that far. I jack the front up with my small floor jack and a 2x6 just enough to roll the wheel out of the fender and support the frame with a small jackstand while I'm at the tire shop. I'll put my tires back on then concentrate on the brakes lots of spots to clean so things move properly. No matter which way you go it's still a project.

DougEFresh1123

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:14 pm

Erdeniz Umman wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:33 am
The rear fender inner part is actually two plastic parts. One is connected to the trunk assy, and the other (front part) is not. You should disconnect them from each other, that may be the problem you are facing.
Thanks, I will look into this over the weekend.
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

DougEFresh1123

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:18 pm

89 1500 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:40 pm
I've always just thrown mine on the center stand, drop the left bag and rear center pirce, and muffler hanger. I guess I've done it enough times that I can get it apart fast. I'm down to having the wheel off in about 40 minutes at a relaxed pace. I replace both tires at the same time with valve stems and brake pads since it's down that far. I jack the front up with my small floor jack and a 2x6 just enough to roll the wheel out of the fender and support the frame with a small jackstand while I'm at the tire shop. I'll put my tires back on then concentrate on the brakes lots of spots to clean so things move properly. No matter which way you go it's still a project.
I'm not just changing the tire, I am lubing the splines as well as changing out the final drive gear oil. Seems like everything I'm tackling on this big is becoming a bigger project. :)
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:49 pm

Check the rubber boot in front of the shaft, and replace it if damaged while you are there.

DougEFresh1123

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:53 pm

Erdeniz Umman wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:49 pm
Check the rubber boot in front of the shaft, and replace it if damaged while you are there.
Yes that is on my list to check.
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

DougEFresh1123

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:54 am

Well folks I finally got the trunk assembly to lift and rotate. I removed my passenger floor boards and the rear crash bars and I still had difficulties getting it to lift. After double checking everything it appeared the wiring for some after market lights was causing the issue. I snipped the zip-tie that was holding the excess wire and up and over it went. For the future I am going to pull the excess wire into the saddlebag and use a twist tie and a little bit of tape to keep it nestled out of the way on the bottom or side of the saddlebag.

Thanks for all of your help.
Attachments

If you zoom in on this one I circled the red/black wires that I think was the real reason why the trunk wouldn't rotate.
If you zoom in on this one I circled the red/black wires that I think was the real reason why the trunk wouldn't rotate.

'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan