GL1200 carb choke leaking through the overflow tube


Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Post Reply
JOLLY
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:23 pm
Location: Bonham, Texas 75418
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade

GL1200 carb choke leaking through the overflow tube

Post by JOLLY » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:54 pm



I have a 1984 GL1200 that is leaking gas from the choke through the overflow tube. If I have the choke on it does not leak. But when the choke is off it starts leaking. I have pulled the choke valve out and it looks good. put a new rubber on the end of the valve, but it did not help. If anyone can help me find out what is going on, I really need the help, PLEASE!!!



JOLLY
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:23 pm
Location: Bonham, Texas 75418
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade

Re: GL1200 carb choke leaking through the overflow tube

Post by JOLLY » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:09 pm

PS. This is also called the starter valve...???

User avatar
Maz
Posts: 584
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 4:43 am
Location: Kent, UK
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Re: GL1200 carb choke leaking through the overflow tube

Post by Maz » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:52 am

JOLLY wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:54 pm
I have a 1984 GL1200 that is leaking gas from the choke through the overflow tube. If I have the choke on it does not leak. But when the choke is off it starts leaking. I have pulled the choke valve out and it looks good. put a new rubber on the end of the valve, but it did not help. If anyone can help me find out what is going on, I really need the help, PLEASE!!!
If it's leaking out of the overflow tube, it's because the carb is overflowing! Basically, too much gas getting into the carb due to the float valve not closing. Could be a worn/dirty tip on the end of the float needle or a sticking float or wrong float height. If the float bowl has the little brass tube that stands up from the bottom of the bowl (not sure with the 1200's as I have the 1000 which has no overflow circuit), this could be cracked or loose.
I suspect the reason it doesn't leak with the "choke" on is that in this position, more fuel is being fed into the motor to richen the mixture, so the excess fuel is being used up before it can overflow. Just thinking out loud on that, though.

Maz
Ironically, Common Sense is the LEAST common of all senses!

JOLLY
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:23 pm
Location: Bonham, Texas 75418
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade

Re: GL1200 carb choke leaking through the overflow tube

Post by JOLLY » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:39 am

Maz, I did change the needle valves on all carbs and checked all float levels. I have found that the carb that is leaking is the front right. I will replace the float and check that carb over again. I had first thought the the same thing you had suggested. Carb out for the 4th time. Thinking one carb would have made better sense than four................????????? Just thinking out loud...!!!

JOLLY
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:23 pm
Location: Bonham, Texas 75418
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade

Re: GL1200 carb choke leaking through the overflow tube

Post by JOLLY » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:44 am

Maz wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:52 am
JOLLY wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:54 pm
I have a 1984 GL1200 that is leaking gas from the choke through the overflow tube. If I have the choke on it does not leak. But when the choke is off it starts leaking. I have pulled the choke valve out and it looks good. put a new rubber on the end of the valve, but it did not help. If anyone can help me find out what is going on, I really need the help, PLEASE!!!
If it's leaking out of the overflow tube, it's because the carb is overflowing! Basically, too much gas getting into the carb due to the float valve not closing. Could be a worn/dirty tip on the end of the float needle or a sticking float or wrong float height. If the float bowl has the little brass tube that stands up from the bottom of the bowl (not sure with the 1200's as I have the 1000 which has no overflow circuit), this could be cracked or loose.
I suspect the reason it doesn't leak with the "choke" on is that in this position, more fuel is being fed into the motor to richen the mixture, so the excess fuel is being used up before it can overflow. Just thinking out loud on that, though.

Maz
Just getting to understand this forem. Please read the post ment for you. Thanks, jolly

User avatar
Maz
Posts: 584
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 4:43 am
Location: Kent, UK
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Re: GL1200 carb choke leaking through the overflow tube

Post by Maz » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:24 pm

Jolly. You're doing fine with the forum so far.
I've never tried removing just one carb. I suppose, having the luxury(?) of a naked bike, it's easier for me to remove them as a unit of 4 and I can do it in around 15 minutes.
If you have them on the bench together it's also easier to connect an auxiliary fuel supply to fault-find the leak.
Maz
Ironically, Common Sense is the LEAST common of all senses!

JOLLY
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:23 pm
Location: Bonham, Texas 75418
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade

Re: GL1200 carb choke leaking through the overflow tube

Post by JOLLY » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:11 pm

Maz wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:24 pm
Jolly. You're doing fine with the forum so far.
I've never tried removing just one carb. I suppose, having the luxury(?) of a naked bike, it's easier for me to remove them as a unit of 4 and I can do it in around 15 minutes.
If you have them on the bench together it's also easier to connect an auxiliary fuel supply to fault-find the leak.
Maz
This bike is not mine but a very good friend of mine. I have a extra fuel pump. Thanks for the idea to bench test them before we put them back in. It may be a day or two before we can get back on it due to it raining and cold. I'll let you know what we find, if thats OK. Thank You. JOLLY
PS. I have had to remove one carb on each side of my 1986A because of bad crossover fuel line "O" rings going bad. Not to hard but scary the first time. Didn't mean to imply I was only taking one carb off at a time. Now that would be hard if not impossible if it were still on the bike. Thanks again, JOLLY

User avatar
Maz
Posts: 584
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 4:43 am
Location: Kent, UK
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Re: GL1200 carb choke leaking through the overflow tube

Post by Maz » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:43 am

That would be a skill worth having 😂.
I just re-read your previous post and can't work out what the hell I was thinking when I thought you meant removing one carb only!
I must learn to concentrate on only one thing at a time!
Maz
Ironically, Common Sense is the LEAST common of all senses!

JOLLY
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:23 pm
Location: Bonham, Texas 75418
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade

Re: GL1200 carb choke leaking through the overflow tube

Post by JOLLY » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:30 pm

Maz wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:43 am
That would be a skill worth having 😂.
I just re-read your previous post and can't work out what the hell I was thinking when I thought you meant removing one carb only!
I must learn to concentrate on only one thing at a time!
Maz
Hay Maz, Well we found what was going on and learned a lesson at the same time. The lesson is; Don't buy those cheap China carb rebuild kits. The fuel filter that goes under the float valves will turn into mush and deteriorate. WE benched tested the carbs and they are good to go now. I thank you for your posts and help. And I must add you helped a lot. THANKS again, JOLLY

User avatar
Maz
Posts: 584
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 4:43 am
Location: Kent, UK
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200
1993 Suzuki GS500E

Re: GL1200 carb choke leaking through the overflow tube

Post by Maz » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:52 am

You're welcome.
Glad you got it sorted. Enjoy the tasks ahead! :D

Maz


Ironically, Common Sense is the LEAST common of all senses!

Post Reply