Is the Goldwing the best bike you have ever ridden?


Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
User avatar
Wildwilly018
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:26 am
Location: Woodstock, Ontario Canada
Motorcycle: 1988 Honda Goldwing GL1500

Re: Is the Goldwing the best bike you have ever ridden?

Post by Wildwilly018 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:40 pm



quasi2008 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:15 am
smoothest? probably. comfortable? not even close. I despise mid controls. miss my road king.
My 88 is very comfy. OEM seat 30 yrs old is still soft and not hard to ride for hrs. Floats down the roughest roads. I did put new progressive air shocks on a couple yrs ago. Run Dunlop E3's for tires. I rode my brothers 04 1800 and I wasn't impressed compared to my 88 1500. Everyone has their preferences.



Thomas Berry
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:18 pm
Location: OFallon, Mo. USA
Motorcycle: 1987 Aspencade Goldwing

Re: Is the Goldwing the best bike you have ever ridden?

Post by Thomas Berry » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:34 pm

I`ve been riding motorcycles since 1967. I`ve owned about 20 different bikes, ALL Japanese except for one Triumph. I grew up on a Farm in South East Missouri. I was 14 when I got my first bike. Honda Super 90cc. I knew every back road in the Bootheel. I wore the 90cc out twice. Due to hard crazy riding. Used it for everything including dirt bike. Drove full throttle most everywhere I went. Never had to do anything to it except rebuild the top end, new chains and sprokes. Indestructible bike. Show me any other bike you can ride wide open for 7,000 miles without blowing it up. Since graduating to bigger bikes, NEVER worn one out or blew it up. I`ve owned many. only wish I knew how many miles I`ve accually rode. It would probably shock me. I presently own three bikes. 1987 Aspencade, great bike, took me a lot of trouble free places, 2002 1800 Trike, and a 2009 Suzuki Boulivard. Never had a mechanical failure out of any of the bikes. Never. Did have an electrical issue that was not big deal, but Road Rescue piked me up and took me about 1 mile across town to my house. Kill switch went bad on my 02 Trike. Only issue in all the miles I have driven, other than normal events. Bad battery, flat tire. Everyone I have ever known with other brands of bikes have had Mechanical issues. Some very costly. The GoldWing by far is the best touring motorcycle ever, in my opinion. But I DO want a new Indian Vintage. Why Not? Never get ride of my Trike.

User avatar
WINGER3
Posts: 228
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:41 pm
Location: Orange, California
Motorcycle: current 2016 F6B previous GL1200A GL1500K GL1100A CB350 GL650I VFR1000 ST1100 GL1200A GL1500I GL1800ABS GL1500CT + many other brands

Re: Is the Goldwing the best bike you have ever ridden?

Post by WINGER3 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:28 pm

I have been ridding since I was 10 and I'm 78 now, I took a break from 1959-1971, USMC + wife and 2 kids and started again when I bought a new 1971 BMW R75/5 and rode it for over 100K mi., traded it for a new 1982 a R100RT tour model as the wife wanted to ride now as the kids where older. The BMW was great but just to small for a trip to Minnesota we had planed, so sold it and bought my first GW, a new 1985 Aspencade and did a 6K mi. rode trip and it was fantastic with 2 up and 45 MPG and put over 85K mi. on it.
I have had every GW from GL1100A to GL1800ABS + GL1500C Valk. & F6B current, and I have to say the (2) GL1200A's I had are the best all around bikes I have ever rode and I'm now looking at a 1987 Aspey. w/cruise control and 16K original miles on it and trying to decide to sell my F6B with only 2400 mi. on and love ridding and buy the GL1200A, it will be a tough one to decide. Ride safe and have fun. :mrgreen:
DON'T DESTROY IT-RESTORE IT

User avatar
Wildwilly018
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:26 am
Location: Woodstock, Ontario Canada
Motorcycle: 1988 Honda Goldwing GL1500

Re: Is the Goldwing the best bike you have ever ridden?

Post by Wildwilly018 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:32 pm

Thomas Berry wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:34 pm
I`ve been riding motorcycles since 1967. I`ve owned about 20 different bikes, ALL Japanese except for one Triumph. I grew up on a Farm in South East Missouri. I was 14 when I got my first bike. Honda Super 90cc. I knew every back road in the Bootheel. I wore the 90cc out twice. Due to hard crazy riding. Used it for everything including dirt bike. Drove full throttle most everywhere I went. Never had to do anything to it except rebuild the top end, new chains and sprokes. Indestructible bike. Show me any other bike you can ride wide open for 7,000 miles without blowing it up. Since graduating to bigger bikes, NEVER worn one out or blew it up. I`ve owned many. only wish I knew how many miles I`ve accually rode. It would probably shock me. I presently own three bikes. 1987 Aspencade, great bike, took me a lot of trouble free places, 2002 1800 Trike, and a 2009 Suzuki Boulivard. Never had a mechanical failure out of any of the bikes. Never. Did have an electrical issue that was not big deal, but Road Rescue piked me up and took me about 1 mile across town to my house. Kill switch went bad on my 02 Trike. Only issue in all the miles I have driven, other than normal events. Bad battery, flat tire. Everyone I have ever known with other brands of bikes have had Mechanical issues. Some very costly. The GoldWing by far is the best touring motorcycle ever, in my opinion. But I DO want a new Indian Vintage. Why Not? Never get ride of my Trike.
As I said above, been riding for almost 45 yr from age 16 till now. Actually started at 5 with mini bike and bought brand new 80cc yami enduro at 12. Rode the hell out of that. Also a 69 Honda 90cc street we used off road till I was 16 when I got my licence on a 68 Yami 100cc twin. Rode that maybe a yr and traded it for a 68 BSA Royal Star 500 cc. T-boned a car at 18 on that bike. Totaled and broken hip. Had Kawi kz 450 after that. Have had a 74 Honda 550/4. Rode for 10 yr. 84 yami virago 500. 2001 Honda shadow ace 750. One of my favs was my 86 Yami venture 1300cc. Then a 2000 Kawi voyager 1200. After that my present 88 goldwing gl1500. Love this bike.

User avatar
bstig60
Posts: 1091
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:14 pm
Location: Sharpes, FL.
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800
2007 ST1300
1999 Virago XV1100LC (Sold 6/15/19)
Luggage Trailer, 2014 Home Made
1987 Honda TLR 200
Contact:

Re: Is the Goldwing the best bike you have ever ridden?

Post by bstig60 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:27 am

Been riding more than 50 years. In that time, I have owned 25 or so bikes and have ridden many others of different types and sizes. I have owned 3 Goldwings in the last several years. An 88, and 99 1500 and now a 03 1800. The 1500's were comfy, but lacked a little power when pulling a loaded trailer and camping gear in the mountains. The 1800, however, is a different story, no lack of power here. It is a little lighter than the 1500's and handles much better, both at speed and in traffic. Frankly, I was shocked the first time I took a ride on the 1800 at its power, handling characteristics and braking ability. By far the 1800 is the best street bike I have ever ridden.
I can't make a statement like this without mentioning the Yamaha XT600 Dual Sport I used to own.... For a dual purpose bike, it was the best off/on road bike I have ever owned......
Bill

User avatar
patbrandon1
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:39 am
Location: Bay City, Michigan
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 Interstate
1982 GL1100I (Crashed)
1981 Honda CM400C (Sold)
Contact:

Re: Is the Goldwing the best bike you have ever ridden?

Post by patbrandon1 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:47 pm

I like to say something is "my favorite" rather than "the best" because it is closer to fact than my opinion. (I can, at times, be fickle with stuff.) I know it is arguing semantics but I just don't want to tell other people what the best might be, because I can't possibly ride every bike ever made, although I would like to.

My favorite motorcycle right now is the 1987 GL1200I Goldwing that I presently ride. I'm now 61 years old and riding is about comfort now. And the Goldwing is very comfortable to ride. It is also pretty easy to maintain. And that gets more challenging as age continues as well. And because of this site, the Goldwing will probably stay my favorite for a while because I do enjoy the PM and repairs I am blessed enough to be able to continue to do. Goldwingdoc keeps being able to find the info I need simple for this old guy to find.

My birthday is coming up next Friday, and the love of my life Annie will be cooking me a birthday pie. She is very good at it and no matter what kind she makes me, it will be great. She has asked me before what kind is my favorite and I answered that whatever pie I'm eating at the time is my favorite. (I really like pie.) Does she make the best pie? I can't know that. But you can rest assured that I will be telling her it is the best pie I ever had. Diplomacy matters. ;)

I will still be on the lookout for the motorcycle Scott described in his newsletter, "...but to be perfect, it would need to be extremely light, tiny but with massive luggage capacity, as fast and powerful as a sportbike, equally stable at 150 mph and 5 mph, capable of climbing dirt hills and fording streams, able to carry three weeks' worth of clothing and food, and be comfortable enough that you and your passenger could ride for 20 hours straight. Did I mention it should have 150 hp and get 120 mpg?"

User avatar
Wildwilly018
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:26 am
Location: Woodstock, Ontario Canada
Motorcycle: 1988 Honda Goldwing GL1500

Re: Is the Goldwing the best bike you have ever ridden?

Post by Wildwilly018 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:34 pm

patbrandon1 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:47 pm
I like to say something is "my favorite" rather than "the best" because it is closer to fact than my opinion. (I can, at times, be fickle with stuff.) I know it is arguing semantics but I just don't want to tell other people what the best might be, because I can't possibly ride every bike ever made, although I would like to.

My favorite motorcycle right now is the 1987 GL1200I Goldwing that I presently ride. I'm now 61 years old and riding is about comfort now. And the Goldwing is very comfortable to ride. It is also pretty easy to maintain. And that gets more challenging as age continues as well. And because of this site, the Goldwing will probably stay my favorite for a while because I do enjoy the PM and repairs I am blessed enough to be able to continue to do. Goldwingdoc keeps being able to find the info I need simple for this old guy to find.

My birthday is coming up next Friday, and the love of my life Annie will be cooking me a birthday pie. She is very good at it and no matter what kind she makes me, it will be great. She has asked me before what kind is my favorite and I answered that whatever pie I'm eating at the time is my favorite. (I really like pie.) Does she make the best pie? I can't know that. But you can rest assured that I will be telling her it is the best pie I ever had. Diplomacy matters. ;)

I will still be on the lookout for the motorcycle Scott described in his newsletter, "...but to be perfect, it would need to be extremely light, tiny but with massive luggage capacity, as fast and powerful as a sportbike, equally stable at 150 mph and 5 mph, capable of climbing dirt hills and fording streams, able to carry three weeks' worth of clothing and food, and be comfortable enough that you and your passenger could ride for 20 hours straight. Did I mention it should have 150 hp and get 120 mpg?"
I will be 61 in 3 months also, and comfort is my #1 priority. My 88 gl1500 takes care of me.

User avatar
DenverWinger
Posts: 981
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:20 pm
Location: Denver, CO
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Re: Is the Goldwing the best bike you have ever ridden?

Post by DenverWinger » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:00 am

Wildwilly018 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:34 pm
patbrandon1 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:47 pm
I like to say something is "my favorite" rather than "the best" because it is closer to fact than my opinion. (I can, at times, be fickle with stuff.) I know it is arguing semantics but I just don't want to tell other people what the best might be, because I can't possibly ride every bike ever made, although I would like to.

My favorite motorcycle right now is the 1987 GL1200I Goldwing that I presently ride. I'm now 61 years old and riding is about comfort now. And the Goldwing is very comfortable to ride. It is also pretty easy to maintain. And that gets more challenging as age continues as well. And because of this site, the Goldwing will probably stay my favorite for a while because I do enjoy the PM and repairs I am blessed enough to be able to continue to do. Goldwingdoc keeps being able to find the info I need simple for this old guy to find.

My birthday is coming up next Friday, and the love of my life Annie will be cooking me a birthday pie. She is very good at it and no matter what kind she makes me, it will be great. She has asked me before what kind is my favorite and I answered that whatever pie I'm eating at the time is my favorite. (I really like pie.) Does she make the best pie? I can't know that. But you can rest assured that I will be telling her it is the best pie I ever had. Diplomacy matters. ;)

I will still be on the lookout for the motorcycle Scott described in his newsletter, "...but to be perfect, it would need to be extremely light, tiny but with massive luggage capacity, as fast and powerful as a sportbike, equally stable at 150 mph and 5 mph, capable of climbing dirt hills and fording streams, able to carry three weeks' worth of clothing and food, and be comfortable enough that you and your passenger could ride for 20 hours straight. Did I mention it should have 150 hp and get 120 mpg?"
I will be 61 in 3 months also, and comfort is my #1 priority. My 88 gl1500 takes care of me.
... Must be the 61 club here, I turn 61 in 3 weeks.... Happy B'day Pat :D (too soon for you, Willy :lol: )

Been riding since I was 22, riding 'Wings since age 42. I've had the 1100 for 14yrs, she's over 100K miles now, and I love the comfort and storage of these fine machines. With the addition of the camper 9 yrs ago I found travel-camping on the 1100 quite comfortable and enjoyable, but don't get to do as much travel as I'd like since still full-time employed.

Two yrs ago I found this very nice, low miles '93 1500 and got her fitted out for trailer towing. That summer the 1500 pulled us and the camper to Michigan. Although the 1100 is a fine machine for pulling the camper, the 1500 is a nice upgrade! Sadly, didn't get to do any travel last year, work and life got in the way, this year is shaping up to be similar.

Still not quite sure what I'm going to do with two 'Wings in the stable, I still ride the 1100 and she isn't neglected, but I'll probably sell her at some point.

As to the 1500, considering her condition (still only 51K mi) and the longevity of these machines, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if she outlasts ME!
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark

User avatar
dakotanator
Posts: 140
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:07 am
Location: Columbia Falls, Montana
Motorcycle: 1973 Suzuki TS185 (sold)
1981 Suzuki GS750L (sold)
1992 Suzuki 1100 Katana (sold)
1981 Honda CB900 Custom (sold)
1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Re: Is the Goldwing the best bike you have ever ridden?

Post by dakotanator » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:24 pm

tbird71 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:20 am
I have had many bikes and overall my '84 stripper with a Hondaline fairing
is the best. Not as smooth as my 89 1500, but much easier to manuever and
almost as comfortable. It just "fits" me.
BEAUTIFUL bike.
As you can see by my profile, I've a had a few bikes.
And YES......the Goldwing is the best so far. The others were pretty great.......but the '83 Aspy.......is like a lounge chair with 2 wheels.
And I'm only up to 1983..!!! I've got 30+ more years of bikes to try..!! I'm game..........
It's not WHAT you ride......it's THAT you ride.

User avatar
rgbar
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 9:23 am
Location: Andover, NY
Motorcycle: 1972 CB350-Four 5,000 miles
1981 GL1100 Interstate - 37,000 miles
1985 GL1200 LTD Edition - 60,000 miles
1995 GL1500 25th Annaversary Edition Triked with DFT - 210,000 miles
Currently 1999 Honda GL1500 Se 50th Annaversary Edition - 61,000 miles
Triked with a modified DFT kit
Pulling a Cyclemate 2000 cargo trailer - 110,500 miles

Re: Is the Goldwing the best bike you have ever ridden?

Post by rgbar » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:24 pm

I've been riding since 14 years old on our home built mini bikes, and with time off for 15 years building log home from scratch, a family and a carear. In 1972 I bought a CB350-Four riding it for many miles before upgrading to a GL1100 I. We rode this for several more years and having discovered and joining a Goldwing riding group began to do trip traveling with it. I saw a 1985 GL1200LTD in a dealers showroom and fell in love with it immediately! Bought it and a 2000 Cyclemate cargo trailer new to travel with. With the kids being in college and working on their own carears, the wife and I started to do some serious traveling on the wing.
We saw a 1995 GL1500 25th annaversary edition for sale in a fellows yard on one of our trips and decided to go back the next day and look at it. After riding it that day, we bought it on the spot. We rode this wing putting over 200,000 miles on it and triking it with a DFT kit, myself, before finding our current ride the 1999 GL1500 50th annaversary Edition. Since purchasing it, we have only put 25,000 miles on it in the last three years due to health issues and having to move into a smaller house with it's renovations. We also triked this wing and have plans for several trips this summer. Hoping to put at least 200,000 miles on it before having to quit riding altogether. We are now 70 years young!

To answer the original Question, ........ Yes the Goldwing is the greatest bike that we have ever ridden!!
Keep Your Fork For The Best Is Yet To Come

In GOD I Trust!

User avatar
chunk
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:25 am
Location: So. Cal, usa
Motorcycle: '95 bmw r100r M, '77 yamaha xt500, '81 honda gl 1100I

Re: Is the Goldwing the best bike you have ever ridden?

Post by chunk » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:28 pm

I've had almost 40 motorcycle's in the last 40 plus years or so, currently I'm on a BMW K75, and a Yamaha XT500, I had an 1982 gl1100 and it was okay, but i just never bonded with it, don't know why. One bike that I sold was a 2001 Honda ST1100, that was a bike I probably should have kept. It had boat loads of power, handled great despite it's 700 lb weight, had good brakes and was an all around fine motorcycle. Just was a bit tall and it had a higher center of gravity than the goldwing, and at 700 lbs, it wasn't confidence inspiring when stopped with my 30 inch inseam, otherwise I'm sure I would still have it. My K75 is 200 lbs lighter and fits me fine, but down in power compared the the st1100, still a fine bike though. MY 2 cents. chunk. :D






Last edited by chunk on Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

oldmopars
Posts: 222
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:25 am
Location: Selah, Washington
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 SE
1989 GL1500 parts bike
1984 GL1200 Aspencade FOR SALE

Re: Is the Goldwing the best bike you have ever ridden?

Post by oldmopars » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:37 pm

I still have a 1984 GW that is being stripped to a standard, my regular ride is now a BMW R1100RT. Is it the best bike ever, maybe not, but it sure is a lot of fun. It handles like a sport bike and has a ton of luggage space. I sold my 96 1500SE t get it and I have not been sorry. I just could not make the 1500 work for me. There is a right bike for every butt, the 1500 just was not it.

BTW, I like the K75, nice bike.



Post Reply