GL1500 stereo upgrade/replacement

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
NOVAwing
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: GL1500 stereo upgrade/replacement

Post by NOVAwing » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:56 pm

smack67 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:00 pm
I removed the stock radio, as I am not sure there is clearance with it in place. I used the cover because it was available (the unobtanium 2.0 was not available at that time). I kept the stock stereo on my toolbox for a conversation piece it seems. I ran new speaker wires and used a donor (junker) bike for the wiring mods so that I did not have to hack into the stock wiring. This enables me to reinstall the stock radio at some point in the future if I wanted, although after having the new unit in there for a while I cannot for the life of me come up with a reason for doing that.

I held the radio cover in place with some sheet metal modified to "squeeze" the cover to the stock radio housing. Sadly I did not take pictures of that but basically I screwed the modified sheet metal to the stock radio mounting bolts. Once again I am not sure why anyone would keep the stock stereo, perhaps cb functionality or stock intercom capability both of which I lost. I do wish it still had the speed activated volume control but I use BT for voice activated calling to communicate and I have a handheld midland cb unit with a remote mic/speaker on my windscreen for group ride coordination. By the way the LCD clock has nothing to do with the stereo on a 1500 it is changeable by a little adjustment knob on the gauge cluster.
Thank you Smack.

That is disappointing to hear about your stock radio being pulled out.

In your pics I clearly see what looks like the stock radio cassette door under the cover.
But as you say, this is not the case?

I have a 1993 Aspencade, factory cassette, and no CB, and already ripped out the factory intercom dongles front and back day one.
Wife and I just open our helmets and yell to talk, until I decide to spend the crazy money for some Bluetooth units for our modular HJC helmets.

What exactly will I lose from removing the stereo?

My concern is I don't want to lose any functionality other then the radio itself.

If nothing else is lost, then I will remove it, so I can fit the Jensen unit I already ordered :)

Thanks for the help.

NOVAwing
1993 GL1500 Aspencade, restored from 4 years rotting outside.

“A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.”

bluthundr31
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon Beige)

Post by bluthundr31 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:30 pm

HMMMM, , , ,I'm wondering about a solution to Nova's dilemma, , , ,

Nova,
Measure that area of your centershelter that is between the radio and the gas/fuel door. There should be about 3.5" of clearance below that to the top of the air filter housing. I would bet that a small MARINE (waterproof) bluetooth with Aux input would fit there nicely, ,, ,, ,something similar to this maybe???
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/fusion-- ... 3e9c548e96

You wouldn't lose your stereo but you'd have to disconnect your speakers from it to wire to the new stereo. I don't see a USB port on the fusion, , but its just an idea. There are LOTS and LOTS of stereos that might fit that area, , ,many are NOT waterproof though.

smack67
Motorcycle: 1998 Honda Goldwing Aspencade

Post by smack67 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:41 pm

NOVAwing wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:56 pm
smack67 wrote:
I removed the stock radio, as I am not sure there is clearance with it in place. I used the cover because it was available (the unobtanium 2.0 was not available at that time). I kept the stock stereo on my toolbox for a conversation piece it seems. I ran new speaker wires and used a donor (junker) bike for the wiring mods so that I did not have to hack into the stock wiring. This enables me to reinstall the stock radio at some point in the future if I wanted, although after having the new unit in there for a while I cannot for the life of me come up with a reason for doing that.

I held the radio cover in place with some sheet metal modified to "squeeze" the cover to the stock radio housing. Sadly I did not take pictures of that but basically I screwed the modified sheet metal to the stock radio mounting bolts. Once again I am not sure why anyone would keep the stock stereo, perhaps cb functionality or stock intercom capability both of which I lost. I do wish it still had the speed activated volume control but I use BT for voice activated calling to communicate and I have a handheld midland cb unit with a remote mic/speaker on my windscreen for group ride coordination. By the way the LCD clock has nothing to do with the stereo on a 1500 it is changeable by a little adjustment knob on the gauge cluster.
Thank you Smack.

In your pics I clearly see what looks like the stock radio cassette door under the cover.

I have a 1993 Aspencade, factory cassette, and no CB, and already ripped out the factory intercom dongles front and back day one.
Wife and I just open our helmets and yell to talk, until I decide to spend the crazy money for some Bluetooth units for our modular HJC helmets.

My concern is I don't want to lose any functionality other then the radio itself.

If nothing else is lost, then I will remove it, so I can fit the Jensen unit I already ordered :)

Thanks for the help.
You lose the radio station display on the dash, the intercom and the cb. The cassette door is disembodied removed from the donor bike radio just to fill the hole, eventually (next winter) I plan to turn it into a storage pocket for the I-Pass device.

NOVAwing

Post by NOVAwing » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:09 pm

bluthundr31 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:30 pm
HMMMM, , , ,I'm wondering about a solution to Nova's dilemma, , , ,

Nova,
Measure that area of your centershelter that is between the radio and the gas/fuel door. There should be about 3.5" of clearance below that to the top of the air filter housing. I would bet that a small MARINE (waterproof) bluetooth with Aux input would fit there nicely, ,, ,, ,something similar to this maybe???
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/fusion-- ... 3e9c548e96

You wouldn't lose your stereo but you'd have to disconnect your speakers from it to wire to the new stereo. I don't see a USB port on the fusion, , but its just an idea. There are LOTS and LOTS of stereos that might fit that area, , ,many are NOT waterproof though.
Thanks Bluthundr31,

Not a bad idea, but would probably weaken the tank shelter to much in that area, and don't think there is enough room there for a real, fully featured non CD stereo.

Already ordered the one Smack has anyway, as it is very similar to my old Jensen marine which was awesome, this one just does not seem to have the internal HDD where you can load songs. USB is all I need along with Radio, BT is a bonus.
NOVAwing

“A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.”

NOVAwing

Post by NOVAwing » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:16 pm

smack67 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:41 pm
NOVAwing wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:56 pm
smack67 wrote:

Thank you Smack.

Thanks for the help.
You lose the radio station display on the dash, the intercom and the cb. The cassette door is disembodied removed from the donor bike radio just to fill the hole, eventually (next winter) I plan to turn it into a storage pocket for the I-Pass device.
Thanks for clarifying Smack,

Now we are getting somewhere!

I was under the impression I would lose other features like Air ride pressure display, clock etc.
If all the radio controls is the CB, intercom, and radio, then I am good as I don't have CB or intercom, and radio does not work right anymore lol.

Ah ha! You faked the cassette door! Sneaky guy! That is what was throwing me off.

Now it sounds like I can remove the entire factory stereo, and devise a way to mount the radio cover solidly with my new Jensen in it.
Then I just need to fab something to cover that cassette door hole.

A lot more work then it should be, (Thanks Honda) but this it very doable.

I will report back how it goes on a thread I will start for the Radio replacement when the time comes.
Shipping now, and its way to hot outside, not sure when i will bite the bullet and do this in the summer heat.........but soon as every time I ride I get more and more angry and keep smashing the factory radio lol.

Thanks for all the help everyone!
NOVAwing

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by Rambozo » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:11 pm

Sounds like you would be best served with the unobtainium 2.1 panel. Then you would still be able to use the cover over your new stereo.

NOVAwing

Post by NOVAwing » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:38 pm

Rambozo wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:11 pm
Sounds like you would be best served with the unobtainium 2.1 panel. Then you would still be able to use the cover over your new stereo.
Unfortunately you are now exactly right.

However, I still have other more important $100+ items I need to buy for my bike lol.

I will fabricate a solution of my own out of something, maybe plastic lol. I am toying with the idea of stacking another cover over my cover to get the needed depth.

We shall see......

Bluthundr31, I don't know you but I luv ya man, you did good for people. Sometimes capitalism is a bytch, but I still wouldn't have it any other way.

Happy Independence Day to everyone and be safe!
NOVAwing

smack67
Motorcycle: 1998 Honda Goldwing Aspencade

Post by smack67 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:21 pm

You don't need the depth it would fit fine at the stock radio depth in fact the Jensen is thinner than the stock one.

NOVAwing

Post by NOVAwing » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:32 pm

smack67 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:21 pm
You don't need the depth it would fit fine at the stock radio depth in fact the Jensen is thinner than the stock one.
Right, but I was thinking leave the factory radio, add the cover, because doesn't it attach to the radio not the shelter? Then add another cover on top of that to get the clearance I need?

Or does the cover attach to the shelter? I'm not at my bike to investigate lol.

I think I would need a better cover hold down then the tabs on the shelter anyway so probably not a good idea lol.

Or I could make a blanking plate from a sheet of plastic or metal I guess, and toss the factory radio out like someone else posted whose name escapes me. He had a single din Dual brand unit in his I think.

I'll figure something out eventually.

Thanks for any ideas.
NOVAwing

NOVAwing

Post by NOVAwing » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:26 pm

Update,

So this actually is the thread I started about my radio replacement.......

So, the new Jensen unit arrived, see pics. Cost about $175 delivered. It's not cheap, but it's good quality and heavy duty rated. Cheaper then some other options.

It's going to be a minute before I have time to come up with a mounting solution.

So far I'm thinking I will find some sort of L or C shaped brackets that I can screw to the shelter radio mounts, and to the inside of the radio cover. I may also need a plate surround for the base of the cover because without the factory radio in, I bet there is a huge gap all around the radio cover when it's put in it's place. Then of course cut out the big square in the cover for the Jensen unit. Not even sure the cover is big enough lol.

I might end up calling Bluthundr31 before it's all over lol. We shall see.

More to come after I go buy speaker wire, power/ground wire, and order a distribution block (need to also finally connect my cig lighter and accessory switches).

Thanks for watching!
Attachments

NOVAwing

bluthundr31

Post by bluthundr31 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:35 pm

HMMM, , , , ,Would you consider making a "Pedestal" to match the face which might give you the clearance you need to avoid a conflict with the OEM stereo??

You could use 1/4" or 3/8" thick pads cut to size, , and stacked up to give you the clearance you want.

The face is meant to sit flush with a flat surface, and the pedestal would work. Your "mounting bolts" could go through the cover and keep the unit mounted securely. Amazon, eBay, and wallyworld have lots of potential solutions for this project.

tsandvik
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by tsandvik » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:06 am

I have pulled both the CB and the radio and have done something very similar with a Bluetooth only head unit going back to an equalizer and power amp. New 5.5 in with 1.5 in crossover in front with 4.5 speakers in back. Will send in pics as soon as I have all installed.

One question to the group. Since I pulled the OEM units it seems the LED, the two bulbs for temp and fuel and light for back up stay on continuously. Is there something I did or need to do to jump certain pins to get these to work properly. Cannot leave as is as this would be a battery draw that would bite me in the butt on the road.

Any help would be most appreciated as the electric diagrams might as well be a plate of spaghetti for me.

NOVAwing

Post by NOVAwing » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:23 pm

bluthundr31 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:35 pm
HMMM, , , , ,Would you consider making a "Pedestal" to match the face which might give you the clearance you need to avoid a conflict with the OEM stereo??

You could use 1/4" or 3/8" thick pads cut to size, , and stacked up to give you the clearance you want.

The face is meant to sit flush with a flat surface, and the pedestal would work. Your "mounting bolts" could go through the cover and keep the unit mounted securely. Amazon, eBay, and wallyworld have lots of potential solutions for this project.
That's a good idea Blu, thanks. I think I'm going to pull the factory stereo though.
NOVAwing

NOVAwing

Post by NOVAwing » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:24 pm

tsandvik wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:06 am
I have pulled both the CB and the radio and have done something very similar with a Bluetooth only head unit going back to an equalizer and power amp. New 5.5 in with 1.5 in crossover in front with 4.5 speakers in back. Will send in pics as soon as I have all installed.

One question to the group. Since I pulled the OEM units it seems the LED, the two bulbs for temp and fuel and light for back up stay on continuously. Is there something I did or need to do to jump certain pins to get these to work properly. Cannot leave as is as this would be a battery draw that would bite me in the butt on the road.

Any help would be most appreciated as the electric diagrams might as well be a plate of spaghetti for me.
Sorry, I don't know the answer to this one. I just hope I don't have that issue.
NOVAwing

NOVAwing

Post by NOVAwing » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:29 pm

Update,

So today I got power and ground wires.

Where is the best place to mount something like this?
https://www.amazon.com/6-Way-Fuse-Block ... pons&psc=1

I like this one also, but it seems taller, and only 20amp rated lines.
https://www.amazon.com/Circuit-Fuse-Blo ... way&sr=8-1

I don't see this, and a relay, fitting with the battery but I have not looked at that area lately.

Any good ideas anyone?

Thanks
NOVAwing

bluthundr31

Post by bluthundr31 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:23 am

Since that Jensen will work great with the stock/OEM power/ground/speaker wires, I don't think you need the fuse block. Smack already did the wiring diagram to run that unit off the handlebar controls for ya, , Removing the OEM stereo is probably the best choice, , good job.

What else are you planning to connect to it that makes you feel that you need the fuse block?

NOVAwing

Post by NOVAwing » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:42 pm

bluthundr31 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:23 am
Since that Jensen will work great with the stock/OEM power/ground/speaker wires, I don't think you need the fuse block. Smack already did the wiring diagram to run that unit off the handlebar controls for ya, , Removing the OEM stereo is probably the best choice, , good job.

What else are you planning to connect to it that makes you feel that you need the fuse block?
Thanks but I don't want to touch the bikes factory wiring.
I am running new separate wires to the speakers, power, and ground.

Not concerned about handle bar controls at this time.

I also have a cb blank plate with a cig lighter and 4 rocker switches for future lights I need to hook up to power, that I installed months ago.

Just need to know where to put it, and how big of a fuse block with relay to install.

The cyclemax one is great but I don't see a need to pay $60 for $30 worth of parts lol.

NOVAwing