5'5"

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
dwlarson
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500A Aspencade

Re: 5'5"

Post by dwlarson » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:05 pm

I'm 5'5", 140#. I've been riding Gold Wings for nearly 40 years. I've had a '78, an '85, and currently a '96 GL1500. It's a big, heavy bike with a fairly tall seat. I always thought that everyone balanced their bike on tippy-toes... until I sat on a low cruiser. ;) All the comments about experience (or lack of) pertain here (although my first Wing [second bike ever] was considerably heavier than my first bike - a little CL360 Honda!). All comments about slow-speed handling (i.e., feathering the clutch, partial braking, stopping with the front wheel straight, etc.) are good too.

I would add that one needs to respect the significant (and one's relative ratio of body weight to machine weight). You CANNOT let the bike tip too far to one side... good balancing is everything... plan your stops... look ahead to the pavement condition... watch for slopes or unevenness... be cautious in gravel, parking lots, muddy campgrounds [I have stories!] I've toured much of the country on these bikes, and only rarely had any issues. The most difficulty I have is muscling it around in the garage, parking spaces, etc. The reverse gear helps, but it's still a challenge. Again, lean the bike against you, but don't let it lean too much. Extreme inclines are a challenge (a steep hill coming up to a stop sign, stopping crossways on a steep incline [only one foot will reach the ground -- make sure it's the uphill foot]).

The Gold Wing is still the most comfortable, enjoyable bike I've ever owned. I haven't dare try out an 1800, because I think I would like it too much... :lol:

gervais
Motorcycle: GoldWing 1984 GL1200A Aspencade

Re: 5'5"

Post by gervais » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:32 pm

dwlarson wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:05 pm
I'm 5'5", 140#. I've been riding Gold Wings for nearly 40 years. I've had a '78, an '85, and currently a '96 GL1500. It's a big, heavy bike with a fairly tall seat. I always thought that everyone balanced their bike on tippy-toes... until I sat on a low cruiser. ;) All the comments about experience (or lack of) pertain here (although my first Wing [second bike ever] was considerably heavier than my first bike - a little CL360 Honda!). All comments about slow-speed handling (i.e., feathering the clutch, partial braking, stopping with the front wheel straight, etc.) are good too.

I would add that one needs to respect the significant (and one's relative ratio of body weight to machine weight). You CANNOT let the bike tip too far to one side... good balancing is everything... plan your stops... look ahead to the pavement condition... watch for slopes or unevenness... be cautious in gravel, parking lots, muddy campgrounds [I have stories!] I've toured much of the country on these bikes, and only rarely had any issues. The most difficulty I have is muscling it around in the garage, parking spaces, etc. The reverse gear helps, but it's still a challenge. Again, lean the bike against you, but don't let it lean too much. Extreme inclines are a challenge (a steep hill coming up to a stop sign, stopping crossways on a steep incline [only one foot will reach the ground -- make sure it's the uphill foot]).

The Gold Wing is still the most comfortable, enjoyable bike I've ever owned. I haven't dare try out an 1800, because I think I would like it too much... :lol:
DW you are right at 100%

the GW is my first heavy weight and i am beginning too feel her after one year only,it's a 1984.
the first time i back up her from my garage ,,i felt on the ground,,my wife was laughing at me and ,,,me too.

scratch are no importance too me anyway .

ride safe

gervais
riviere-bleue,quebec