5'5"

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
dwlarson
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500A Aspencade

Re: 5'5"

Post by dwlarson » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:05 pm

I'm 5'5", 140#. I've been riding Gold Wings for nearly 40 years. I've had a '78, an '85, and currently a '96 GL1500. It's a big, heavy bike with a fairly tall seat. I always thought that everyone balanced their bike on tippy-toes... until I sat on a low cruiser. ;) All the comments about experience (or lack of) pertain here (although my first Wing [second bike ever] was considerably heavier than my first bike - a little CL360 Honda!). All comments about slow-speed handling (i.e., feathering the clutch, partial braking, stopping with the front wheel straight, etc.) are good too.

I would add that one needs to respect the significant (and one's relative ratio of body weight to machine weight). You CANNOT let the bike tip too far to one side... good balancing is everything... plan your stops... look ahead to the pavement condition... watch for slopes or unevenness... be cautious in gravel, parking lots, muddy campgrounds [I have stories!] I've toured much of the country on these bikes, and only rarely had any issues. The most difficulty I have is muscling it around in the garage, parking spaces, etc. The reverse gear helps, but it's still a challenge. Again, lean the bike against you, but don't let it lean too much. Extreme inclines are a challenge (a steep hill coming up to a stop sign, stopping crossways on a steep incline [only one foot will reach the ground -- make sure it's the uphill foot]).

The Gold Wing is still the most comfortable, enjoyable bike I've ever owned. I haven't dare try out an 1800, because I think I would like it too much... :lol:

gervais
Motorcycle: GoldWing 1984 GL1200A Aspencade

Post by gervais » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:32 pm

dwlarson wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:05 pm
I'm 5'5", 140#. I've been riding Gold Wings for nearly 40 years. I've had a '78, an '85, and currently a '96 GL1500. It's a big, heavy bike with a fairly tall seat. I always thought that everyone balanced their bike on tippy-toes... until I sat on a low cruiser. ;) All the comments about experience (or lack of) pertain here (although my first Wing [second bike ever] was considerably heavier than my first bike - a little CL360 Honda!). All comments about slow-speed handling (i.e., feathering the clutch, partial braking, stopping with the front wheel straight, etc.) are good too.

I would add that one needs to respect the significant (and one's relative ratio of body weight to machine weight). You CANNOT let the bike tip too far to one side... good balancing is everything... plan your stops... look ahead to the pavement condition... watch for slopes or unevenness... be cautious in gravel, parking lots, muddy campgrounds [I have stories!] I've toured much of the country on these bikes, and only rarely had any issues. The most difficulty I have is muscling it around in the garage, parking spaces, etc. The reverse gear helps, but it's still a challenge. Again, lean the bike against you, but don't let it lean too much. Extreme inclines are a challenge (a steep hill coming up to a stop sign, stopping crossways on a steep incline [only one foot will reach the ground -- make sure it's the uphill foot]).

The Gold Wing is still the most comfortable, enjoyable bike I've ever owned. I haven't dare try out an 1800, because I think I would like it too much... :lol:
DW you are right at 100%

the GW is my first heavy weight and i am beginning too feel her after one year only,it's a 1984.
the first time i back up her from my garage ,,i felt on the ground,,my wife was laughing at me and ,,,me too.

scratch are no importance too me anyway .

ride safe

gervais
riviere-bleue,quebec

roadlost57
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200i

Post by roadlost57 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:19 am

I am 5 5 at 115 lbs and doing just fine on my 85 gl1500i.i say go for it,you will love it
had a 76 gl1000 it got ran over,had another 76 wing i road it all over rip with 172050 on it

bhurt
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Post by bhurt » Fri May 03, 2019 12:32 am

I'm coming in around 5'8" with my boots on, just picked up an 82 gl1100 interstate, its my first heavy bike. My most recent bike is a 2015 R3 so you can say this is a BIG difference. I feel pretty comfortable with the bike as it feels fairly well balanced when I stop, and I can be on toes on both sides, but I tend to prefer to get my left foot flat when possible. My concern is going to be riding with my wife on the back. I am a solid 220 lbs so me alone on the bike isn't bad, its probably only got a couple hundred on me, but once I have my wife on the back balancing that's gonna add another 170 lbs of weight up higher on the back. So far I have only rode with my daughter back there and I already notice it with her 100 lbs frame up there.

I guess like most people have said seat time and practice with the bike, whatever bike it is, will make all the difference.... I hope.

roadlost57
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200i

Post by roadlost57 » Fri May 03, 2019 1:42 am

I meant to say my 85 1200i
had a 76 gl1000 it got ran over,had another 76 wing i road it all over rip with 172050 on it

gervais

Post by gervais » Fri May 03, 2019 2:59 pm

bhurt wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 12:32 am
I'm coming in around 5'8" with my boots on, just picked up an 82 gl1100 interstate, its my first heavy bike. My most recent bike is a 2015 R3 so you can say this is a BIG difference. I feel pretty comfortable with the bike as it feels fairly well balanced when I stop, and I can be on toes on both sides, but I tend to prefer to get my left foot flat when possible. My concern is going to be riding with my wife on the back. I am a solid 220 lbs so me alone on the bike isn't bad, its probably only got a couple hundred on me, but once I have my wife on the back balancing that's gonna add another 170 lbs of weight up higher on the back. So far I have only rode with my daughter back there and I already notice it with her 100 lbs frame up there.

I guess like most people have said seat time and practice with the bike, whatever bike it is, will make all the difference.... I hope.
if i may say

play with the air pressure on the back,
i palyed with mine and i can find a so so settings,
it is not perfect but it works.

when we have a passenger the drive really change and i am not big
5,8 and 180

my xyl is 105 and full of muscles

gervais

dwlarson
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500A Aspencade

Post by dwlarson » Fri May 17, 2019 6:40 pm

I would just add that a passenger does make a big difference. Instruct them to sit square in the seat and don't "help you lean" (someone did that to me once in the middle of a corner and nearly tumbled us over). Let YOU do all the leaning - you don't need help! If they are bouncing around back there, that doesn't help. Oh, and tell them when parking to let you get the bike stopped and down to the side stand BEFORE they start getting off. (I actually like to get off first - it gives them more room to dismount. And let them get on first, while the bike is stable on the side stand. I can muscle it up from there.)

gervais

Post by gervais » Sat May 18, 2019 12:45 pm

thanks dw,

i shell follow your advise for the time,
i am selling my GW,
i received bad heath news,

ride safe

gervais

landisr
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1976 GL1000LTD
1994 GL1500A

Post by landisr » Sun May 19, 2019 6:35 pm

Best wishes to you, Sir.

Ron in AZ

I'm not so sure about an inner child, but I have an inner idiot that surfaces every now and then.. :mrgreen: