Trouble with carbs and vac lines, pics included

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
NOVAwing
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: Trouble with carbs and vac lines, pics included

Post by NOVAwing » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:11 pm

Update:

Carbs are "rebuilt" and back together. Saturday they go back in the bike.

Really wasn't that bad, just need a clean open space and pics for reassembly. I still wouldn't want to rebuild the whole thing, jets and all.

Take note, the top plate screws and bottom cooling plate screws are soft and will shred, they are on there tight, so will the accelerator pump screws. Use a 7m socket or wrench on the fuel bowl cover screws, they also were soft and tore easy, but had hex heads instead of round, and Philips in the center.
I should have ordered all these screws new.

List of what I replaced on the carbs:
All Honda parts from Partzilla.

All 4 fuel hoses.
Carbs to top plate gaskets x2
The entire accelerator pump assembly, minus the lever part.
The fuel bowl cover gaskets x2.

Still more to replace on the bike :
Vac line, rubber mat, air box screws, intake couplers.

Hoping to send back a lot of clips and T connectors, that I did not need. Never even checked their return policy lol.

Still confused about the hose assembly on the bottom of the carbs and the 2 nipples and where exactly the hoses go and what they look like.......

Stay tuned !

NOVAwing
1993 GL1500 Aspencade, restored from 4 years rotting outside.

“A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.”

NOVAwing
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by NOVAwing » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:35 pm

Late update:

Carbs back in, wasn't as hard as people said. Coolant lines were a bytch, and front right lower airbox hose was a minor issue. Here's the trick for that.....

Come in vertical with your 90degree long needle nose, grab the hose about 3-4in down it. Pull it up as far as you can with air box laying there unmounted. From the passenger side come in from the side using long straight needle nose, grab hose just below where it would sit fully on the nipple and push it up onto the air box nipple. Carefully maneuver airbox into place and continue installing it.

Coolant lines where the hardest part by far. Those took 30-45 mins to connect. Airbox hose maybe 15mins tops.

Bike seems to run more or less the same, throttle is snappier. Fuel leak is gone, light coolant smell persists, but I see no steam/vapor/smoke unlike before. Bike does not overheat, but goes to just under 3/4 on the temp gauge, when idling in traffic in 70 degree weather. Goes down to 1/4 when moving along at 40+ mph for any length of time. Will get another bottle of Honda coolant and top it off, seems low.

All in all not a super tough job to pull carbs and install.
Will see how mileage is but after filling up and driving about 50 miles the gauge is already at about 3/4.....but I was hard on it and little to no highway running, lots of stop and go traffic and hilly twisty back roads to and from work.

Next step pulling and having rear tire replaced and greasing those parts and changing final drive fluid.

Debating doing universal joint while I'm in there but tired of working on bike just want to ride, and I can't tell if joint is bad, bike is old and rough and rattles a bit and idle loppes some, which I don't think it did before this past winter rest and the development of the fuel leak.

Almost regretting buying and putting money into this bike, seems like I will end up replacing everything, litteraly lol.

Such is life......
NOVAwing
1993 GL1500 Aspencade, restored from 4 years rotting outside.

“A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.”

89 1500
Motorcycle: 89, 1500 candy wineberry gone to another owner
92 Aspencade Cambridge blue

Post by 89 1500 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:29 pm

Absolutely right the carbs are not hard. Stripping Tupperware is time consuming though. I had to pull the ones off of the 89 I had 3 times within a 2 week span. I was real fast and efficient the last time and the job went quick. Same with the back tire after a couple you realize there are a couple of things that can stay on the bike. Replace the tire valve while it's off. They're cheap enough that I do them every change. If you're still smelling antifreeze you might want to check the cap on the overflow on the left side. The elbow molded on the cap will crack over time and develop a small leak. LOL my 89 was a project from day one and I learned a lot from it chasing all of the small issues it had. My 92 has it's own little problems but I know which way to run this time.