ride to a stranger?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
Kactus59
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE

Re: ride to a stranger?

Post by Kactus59 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:39 pm

When I bought my '98 1500, I was many states away. I saw it advertised on craigslist. Aurora Colorado area and I am in Massachusetts. A couple clicks and texts and we eventually talked on phone. The PO took me live on his laptop around the bike pointing out any known blemishes. I was able to hear it run and see lights work properly. With a leap of faith I sent a bank check and he mailed out the keys right after he rode it to the shipping drop off point. Delivery came a few weeks later and then I decided I should sell my old Honda 1100 VCT. When it sold, the young man, (might have been 17 yrs. old) came with his father and they both sat on it and listened to it run, but not once asked to test ride. I was prepared to say no anyway, cuz anything could happen. I sure was glad that there wasn't a rest ride because as they were getting it up on their trailer, the 1100 being a bit top heavy, (if anyone knows the 86 1100, it has a high center of gravity!) well lets just say it took a bit to get it picked back up after falling sideways in the trailer.

echinus1988
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800, 1982 GL1100 Aspencade, 1980 GL1100 (sold), 2006 GL1800, 1989 Suzuki GS450L, 1981 Honda CM400

Re: ride to a stranger?

Post by echinus1988 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:49 pm

Since I am in the process of selling my 1982 GL1100 Aspencade I took interest in this posting.

I just talked to a gentleman on the phone and he may be out on Sunday to look at it. He doesn't have a car so I did remind him of the winters here but since he is retired it doesn't appear to be an issue.

I went over what I have done and what problems may still be there. He asked a lot of questions and I suggested he check here for any advice. He hasn't ridden for about 10 years it sounds like. His last bike was a Virago.

I did tell him no test rides. I have liability only on this bike and will not allow anyone to ride it. He understood and had no issues with it. He did ask if I would take him for a ride. I think not.

As usual, this site had an abundance of information and suggestions and, as usual, I read and took heed.

Ride Safe!