Extract or Dremel

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Psycheonabike
Motorcycle: 1985 Aspencade

Extract or Dremel

Post by Psycheonabike » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:50 pm

Not quite enough to get a set of mole grips on this. So thinking of cutting with a Dremel to get a flat head driver on it. Otherwise I'll have to use an extractor which is fine but I have yet to see a guide for removing the upper fairing - I believe it's a golden ball ache?
Attachments

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A
1997 GL1500SE Lehman Trike

Re: Extract or Dremel

Post by CrystalPistol » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:19 pm

I have, on occasion, cut a slot for a flat blade screw driver (or impact driver) use …

… and on other occasions I have found a nut to fit the broken end, set it in place, filled void above broken stud / bolt shaft inside new nut with weld, let cool, and gently brought it out. Weld heat will expand the remains, then it cools and shrinks and seems looser. Maybe someone with small portable welder can help?

I've also used extractors, but a hardened bolt can be a b...h to drill.

Good luck.

steve48
Motorcycle: gl1100 82

Post by steve48 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:02 am

I would not use an extractor, if it breaks off it,s a bugger to drill the extractor out, you could drill the bolt out and retap the thread or weld a nut on that also works well, or take head off and take to Hamlins of Bridgewater have them drill it out but then you will have to rebuild head

jaimenv
Motorcycle: 1981 gl1100 Standard (Naked)
1986 gl1200 Interstate (Barney)

Post by jaimenv » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:06 am

The second bolt removal is just like yours, check it out.
Once the bolt breaks loose use penetrating oil to ease it out while going back and forth.

Good luck.

Jaime
When there is some you don't want none, when there is none you want some :cry: .
You can please some people some of the time, but not all the people all of the time :roll: .
Do what you can, with what you have, while you can ;) .