Looking for 1800 advice, tough year!

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
T_birdman
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gave to a friend)
1981 GL1100I (Blew up engine @ 231K Mi./ My fault)
1985 GL1200A (Burned)
1999 GL1500A (Burned)
1993 GL1500A (Red Recently in Accident))

Looking for 1800 advice, tough year!

Post by T_birdman » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:48 am

Hey guys, I'll preface this question with a bit on how my past 6 months have gone. October 2018 my garage was burned and I lost 2 of my Goldwings, an 85 Gl1200A, and what at the time was my daily driver, a 1999 GL1500A. Both cooked to a crisp, both well beyond salvage. I'm a Wing rider for going on 30+ years and can't go through life without at least one in my stable! So shortly after the fire, I went on the prowl for another wing! after about a week I found a gentleman in the high desert that had a beautiful 1993 GL1500A in amazing shape, low miles, and I rode it home! Fast forward to the day before yesterday, a 17 year old pulled out of a driveway and stopped right in front of me! Having been a Wing rider for so many years, I laid down a tire skid, got sideways, and took as much of the forward impact out of the hit as I could, and managed to stay on the bike after hitting the front drivers side of the car, getting turned sideways, going around the car and hitting a car parked on the other side of the kids car. What a ride! So after a few hour in the ER, they cut me loose with road rash, and a left arm that has issues. But the real hurt is what this ignorant 17 year old did to my beautiful Wing! The Fairing is cracked in several places, lower fairing cowl and the left side saddle bag and both mirrors, all messed up, and scratches on the bike that were never there, not one!! A replacement fairing all by itself is what, $1500. This kids Insurance is going to write it off as a total and I'm going to get screwed 3 times in 6 months by Insurance companies! Ok, I'm done venting! Lol!! :lol:

So my question is, I'm looking to scratch the itch and get my first GL1800, and I'm wondering, (Besides the obvious newest year you can get!) what years are the most recommended for a used 1800? Oh, and BTW, I don't believe besides the obvious cracked plastic that my 93 has seen it's last days, I'm going to get it from the Ins. co and fix it!

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Re: Looking for 1800 advice, tough year!

Post by tfdeputydawg » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:16 am

IMHO, 2006 up to 2010. All the initial "problems" were corrected by 2006 and major upgrades were available in 2006 and up.
2 items I got on my 2006 that turned out to be a total waste of money was the Nav system and the comfort system.
Nav system is very difficult to program, until the year you could map a route on your computer and transfer it to the Nav.
Comfort system is pretty much useless in that the seat never got hot enough to do any good during actual cold weather and dressed in a winter riding suit. Besides, my bottom was not what was cold in winter weather!!! Re,the heated grips, the palms of my hands were not what got cold during winter riding, it was the backs of my hands!!!! Heated gloves are a much better expenditure than over paying for the Comfort system.
Also, there have been many failures of the comfort systems and there are very few dealers that know how to fix the system!!!!! Very difficult, long trouble shooting procedure to do is shown in the service manual.

mterraci
Motorcycle: 2007 Honda Goldwing

Post by mterraci » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:52 am

Agree with deputydawg. I think 2006 - 2010 were the "golden years" as I call them for the GL 1800. Honda had gotten past the frame crack issues and were cranking out bikes that still impress better than 10 years later. I have a 2007 and have had no issues with it. Runs like a brand new bike. That engine will probably outlive me.

I found my 2007 2 years ago, very-well cared for and more upgrades then I could have ever afforded, with only 17,139 miles on it (I'm just over 30,000 miles on the odometer now). Have no intentions of getting another one anytime soon.

Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Post by Andy Cote » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:53 am

Dealing with insurance claims can certainly test one's patience.

First if YOUR bike is not currently under YOUR control, go get it. Pay for towing if need be but get it in your garage. You have the title, you do not buy it back from the insurance company. Be there when appraiser looks at it. Tell them you want repair money. They will only pay up to something just less than replacement value but make them do this. They like to do a total and then sell it back to you. This is not necessary as you already own it. You are in charge even though they will try to bully you into their process which is to their advantage. Once you reach an agreement on the amount of repair money, then add on any towing costs. Add for a new helmet and other riding gear.

Do not accept their opinion of value. Do your own research. NADA and Kelley are AVERAGE prices of REPORTED sales. Search Craigslist and cycletrader for local bikes and take 5 or 6 examples of similar bikes and what you would need to pay to buy a replacement. If the appraiser knows wings, great. But you should have paper copies of the Goldwing history that shows 1993 thru 2000 are essentially the same as you provide these comparables to him/her. Knowledge is power. You can be the bully here.

Do your research on repair costs as well. If you can get an estimate from a Honda dealer, do it. But even before that start checking microfiche and list all the damaged parts. Use the MSRP for the parts, not the HDL discounted prices. Make sure you point out things to the Honda mechanic as he goes thru it. They often will rush and ballpark, either because they don't expect you to come back or if they fix, they can always call and explain they missed something.

On to the GL1800. Cost is usually the controlling factor. How much bike can I get for this fixed amount of money? Perhaps there are some non-negotiable items (must have ABS, must not be yellow, etc.). But as you do above research on GL1500, save GL1800 ads that are within your budget. There are no bad years but there are bad bikes. I agree that 2006-2010 seem to be a better bike than earlier but in my area that also means and extra $1500 for similar mileage bikes. I prefer a bike with a good maintenace history, showing signs of being ridden and loved, not ignored. I have passed on a few low mileage bikes because I didn't think the owner really appreciated them and may not have treated them well. Plan to look at a few before buying. Don't worry about the recall; Honda must accomplish them regardless of age. Check that everything works. Check age and condition of tires and brakes.
DARKSIDE #1500
2018 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas

Ham Extra Class, AC1R

Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by Viking » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:09 pm

One more thing we have discovered to work up here, is to engage a personal injury lawyer if the insurance company is being difficult. Tell the lawyer what you want and to include his fees in the law suit. Pain and suffering should not be underrated as you were not at fault and so are not dealing with your own insurance company. Here, being a 'no fault' insurance zone, we are, so a lawyer can help to cut through the BS. If the insurance company is trying to be fair and are willing to listen to reason, discard the lawyer advice, as it can and will anger the insurance people.

I have, in the past, had difficulty with an insurance company - before this area went to 'no fault' insurance, and the threat of a lawyer is all it took to get what I wanted, which was a new motorcycle to replace the new motorcycle that a woman from a different insurance zone (province/state) ran over. They wanted to fix it, which would have taken a great deal of time, I wanted it replaced. It had 300 miles on it. They had the exact same bike in the showroom of the local dealer in a different color, and the dealer was willing to take the wrecked bike in trade and fix it themselves. Took three weeks of argument, but when I threatened a lawyer and pain and suffering reimbursement, they caved.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

T_birdman
1985 GL1200A (Burned)
1999 GL1500A (Burned)

Post by T_birdman » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:20 pm

I have to say, this entire forum is truly an essential component to anyone that rides any year Wing! The members of this forum are a treasure trove of information and goodwill, no amount of money could substitute what you can get from the good folks on this site! Thank you to Deputydawg, mterraci, Andy Cote, and The Mainviking for your replies, absolutely solid info and recommendations that have already benefited my thought process on both dealing with insurance companies and choosing my next ride! You guys are the greatest! Thank you so much!

Here are a few pics of my baby 93, who is back at home already.

The Left side is relatively undamaged except for the left mirror

The Right side took the brunt of the hit and the fairing, saddlebag and cowlings, all plastics are broken with scars on the case savers and chrome safety bars, but they did their respective jobs well enough that the bike itself starts up and runs like nothing happened, no oil or fluid leaks, no rising temps, all electrical works. Mostly the bike also saved my ass from possible extensive bodily damage!

C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Post by C-dub » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:30 pm

Of course, I'm partial to the 2012+ models since I have a 2016. However, my rationale is that isn't the 2012-2017 models considered Gen II since manufacturing went back to Japan for the 2012 model year and some changes were made? Unless I'm mistaken, the navigation system got an upgrade in that it recalibrates better on the fly if a wrong turn is made or a waypoint is missed. I only say this because I remember reading about many of the woes from others on previous year models that I haven't experienced on my 2016. If the navigation system isn't something you're worried about or use then that's a moot point.

Something else to consider is something I learned from this forum before purchasing our 2016. Before a major model change Honda has practically perfected whichever model they're on. Keeping that in mind and from all the talk about a major model change coming for 2018 we decided to not wait and get one in 2017. The only reason we ended up with a 2016 was that my wife/financial planner liked the color better. It was still new with only 0.6 miles on it. Anyway, that's my 2 cents on which year models to go for.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

T_birdman
1985 GL1200A (Burned)
1999 GL1500A (Burned)

Post by T_birdman » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:37 pm

C-dub wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:30 pm
Of course, I'm partial to the 2012+ models since I have a 2016. However, my rationale is that isn't the 2012-2017 models considered Gen II since manufacturing went back to Japan for the 2012 model year and some changes were made? Unless I'm mistaken, the navigation system got an upgrade in that it recalibrates better on the fly if a wrong turn is made or a waypoint is missed. I only say this because I remember reading about many of the woes from others on previous year models that I haven't experienced on my 2016. If the navigation system isn't something you're worried about or use then that's a moot point.

Something else to consider is something I learned from this forum before purchasing our 2016. Before a major model change Honda has practically perfected whichever model they're on. Keeping that in mind and from all the talk about a major model change coming for 2018 we decided to not wait and get one in 2017. The only reason we ended up with a 2016 was that my wife/financial planner liked the color better. It was still new with only 0.6 miles on it. Anyway, that's my 2 cents on which year models to go for.
So when did they fix the NAVI issue? And if you don't mind, how much did the '16 cost out the door?

C-dub
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M

Post by C-dub » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:58 pm

T_birdman wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:37 pm
C-dub wrote:

So when did they fix the NAVI issue? And if you don't mind, how much did the '16 cost out the door?
My guess is with the 2012 model year since that's when manufacturing went back to Japan. Other than that it is just a guess because mine has worked fine without many of the issues others have described on earlier year models. Those always seemed to be prior to 2012 also.

We bought ours in July of 2017 and with all the talk of the new 2018's coming they discounted our 2016 down to about $22k from $28k. IIRC, we put $4k down and we also went for 48 months and a lower interest rate instead of longer at a higher rate. I think we only financed about $18k, but it really isn't going to make that much difference as far as the rate goes because we're paying more than just the monthly payment each month and only have about $6k left on it after less than 2 years. We'll probably have it paid off within 36 months since the extra we're paying gets applied to the principal and not the interest. We don't have a car payment or mortgage. Those things are already paid off.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:12 pm

Agree with deputydawg on the 1800 year models, but do NOT over look a good 01-05
ABS would be nice, wish I had it. but, been riding for 50 years w/o ABS.

I have an 02 and it runs like a new bike with only 114,000 miles on it.
the older 1800s are now getting to be very affordable.

my '94SE was totalled by a semi, the insurance company paid me in full for the insured value of $10,000 as I had full comp on it. and I had full documentation for every addon.

the insurance advice above is good, depends on your state and the ins company of course.

I feel you will get more results from a personal lawsuit than just the damages alone.
our bones do not heal up fast....

I am right now suffering from tendon damage resulting from a fall off of my scooter which was dead stopped! foot slipped on wet leaves.

landed on my right side, and bunged up the shoulder, hurts like hell.
~John

T_birdman
1985 GL1200A (Burned)
1999 GL1500A (Burned)

Post by T_birdman » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:47 pm

AZgl1800 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:12 pm

our bones do not heal up fast....

I am right now suffering from tendon damage resulting from a fall off of my scooter which was dead stopped! foot slipped on wet leaves.

landed on my right side, and bunged up the shoulder, hurts like hell.
Ow man, I'm having sympathy pains for you Bro, and I'm a slow healer these days as well!! :(

T_birdman
1985 GL1200A (Burned)
1999 GL1500A (Burned)

Post by T_birdman » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:00 pm

C-dub wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:58 pm
T_birdman wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:37 pm
C-dub wrote:

My guess is with the 2012 model year since that's when manufacturing went back to Japan. Other than that it is just a guess because mine has worked fine without many of the issues others have described on earlier year models. Those always seemed to be prior to 2012 also.

We bought ours in July of 2017 and with all the talk of the new 2018's coming they discounted our 2016 down to about $22k from $28k. IIRC, we put $4k down and we also went for 48 months and a lower interest rate instead of longer at a higher rate. I think we only financed about $18k, but it really isn't going to make that much difference as far as the rate goes because we're paying more than just the monthly payment each month and only have about $6k left on it after less than 2 years. We'll probably have it paid off within 36 months since the extra we're paying gets applied to the principal and not the interest. We don't have a car payment or mortgage. Those things are already paid off.
I have to say, I'm one of those guys that always felt I had a "Counter-Brag" to the hard core Harley riders for having a Goldwing all these years that was "Made in America", and I didn't know until today that they stopped making them here! I honestly believe I have to stick to my guns and stay within the years the bike was made in the USA. All the bikes I've owned were used bikes, never had any "Brand new" right out of the crate, and I must be too old to change my ways, :D .

C-dub
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M

Post by C-dub » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:43 pm

T_birdman wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:00 pm

I have to say, I'm one of those guys that always felt I had a "Counter-Brag" to the hard core Harley riders for having a Goldwing all these years that was "Made in America", and I didn't know until today that they stopped making them here! I honestly believe I have to stick to my guns and stay within the years the bike was made in the USA. All the bikes I've owned were used bikes, never had any "Brand new" right out of the crate, and I must be too old to change my ways, :D .
I had to check just to make sure I was giving you correct information. It appears that manufacturing of all Honda motorcycles may have moved back to Japan as early as 2009 or 2010. Or that could have just been when the Goldwings moved back and others later. It seems they had been constructing a new state-of-the-art plant in order to do just that.

Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by Viking » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:40 am

T_birdman wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:00 pm
As C-Dub said, 2010 was the final year of the Goldwing from Marysville, OH, and the 2012 model is the first after manufacture was returned to Japan. There was no 2011 model, as that was the period of time in which the equipment and facility were moved. As new models usually arrive in fall of the previously numbered year, that would indicate that mid to late 2010 was when the plant was relocated, or at least anytime after the finish of the 2010 model line. The 2012, IIRC, did not come out till February 2012, so even a bit of a late release.

All that said, and with what I have learned, if I was in the US and was looking for a GL1800 earlier than a 2012 model, I think I would look hardest for 2009/2010 models IF (and I repeat that IF) I wanted one with OEM Navigation. Garmin has come out with a map update with 2019.10 maps which means current to 2018. Not even the 2019 bikes will have newer maps. If not looking for Nav in your bike, I would go with 2006-2008 without Nav, for a better price point, but perhaps with ABS. Just what I would look for, not necessarily advice on what you should.

It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey