Best Goldwing Tyre

Information and questions on GL1800 Goldwings (2001-2017)
  • Sponsored Links
Kwabena Benyin
Motorcycle: Goldwing 1800 2016 model

Best Goldwing Tyre

Post by Kwabena Benyin » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:33 pm

Hello Guys,
Please i need the best Goldwing tyre for grip and performance.
I have a 2016 1800 Goldwing.
Any particular recommendations?

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Re: Best Goldwing Tyre

Post by Big Blue UK » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:22 pm

MO there is no "best tyre". the best tyre 'for me' on a solo are Bridgestone, why, handling confidence, I have used them for yonks. I know I can bank a solo into a bend as far as it will go, not as far as I have the guts to take it. No better than Avon or Dunlop etc,

Tyres are so good today, mileage is more of a consideration, than handling and performance.

A scary moment.
A group of us riding through Cornwall, we were pushing it a little, but not near the Wings limits. I was on a 1500 fitted with Exedras. Taking about the same line as the wings in front of me, occasionally noticing the Wings behind me were taking about the same lines. We rode through a shower, and the road surface was wet, half way through a bend at about 45 - 50mph, I spotted a drain cover, I had the time to think '****', then, UH, bloody hell was a drain cover doing there. When we stopped, first thing at least 8 of us exclaimed was "did you see/hit that drain cover, though I was off". 1500 & 1800 solos, running Dunlop, Avon, and Bridgestone. They were all the best tyre that day.
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Post by C-dub » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:43 pm

My only experience with tires on my 2016 so far are the original tires that were getting a little thin around 12k miles, so I replaced them with Dunlop E4's. The OEM tires might have had 2-3 thousand more miles on them, but we were getting ready for a 1k+ mile trip and I didn't want to get stranded if I guessed wrong. Otherwise I had no complaints with those tires.

The Dunlop E4's seem to be lasting better. I have been measuring the tread depth about every thousand miles and at around 6k miles it seems like I've only used about 25% of the tread so far. They handle great with no complains except for on grooved pavement. They are a little squirrely, but nothing too bad. They tend to want to follow the grooves, but don't resist much if I don't follow the grooves. So far in wet and dry conditions they've been no problem.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Post by offcenter » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:51 pm

No one can tell you what is "best".
But I can tell you about my experience.
My 1500 Goldwing had Dunlop E3 tires on it since new, four
sets of them over 70,000 miles.
The previous owner said that from day 1, he could never take his
hands off the handlebars since the bike would immediately start
a bad head shake, and he would have to grip the bars to stop it.
I put a Michelin Commander II on the front when I got the bike.
BINGO! No more head shake. I can take my hands off the bars
at any speed. And my buddy, the previous owner, is amazed!
Just this week I put on a second Commander II since I wore
out the first one.
Same results. Stable and solid as a rock at any speed.

Just my two cents on the subject.
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Post by Big Blue UK » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:07 am

Ypu will not fit any of the tyre brands mentioned above and not like them. You may from future experience believe you prefer one brand over another, could be weight, set up, riding style, weather, surface, pr kust confidence in the mame. As I said, I could not say what the best tyre is, but what I would recommend, is what many of us have done, is try Avon Bridgestone or Mitchelin, and see what feeling you get, you may discover what you like best. If bearings, suspension, headstock have no minor flaws or wear faults, you may discover you like them all
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

mterraci
Motorcycle: 2007 Honda Goldwing

Post by mterraci » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:02 am

Thankfully we have several very good choices as all of the tires above seem to work well on the Goldwings.

Just to add in my 2 cents, I have a set of Dunlop E4's on mine with 13,000 miles on them; still look good and I've been very happy with how they perform.

You'll ultimately find what works best for you, as we all have our favorites. Hard to go wrong with any of the tires mentioned in this thread.