Avoid Sumo brake pads For GL's

Reviews of Goldwing and motorcycle-related products and services
  • Sponsored Links
89 1500
Motorcycle: 89, 1500 candy wineberry gone to another owner
92 Aspencade Cambridge blue

Avoid Sumo brake pads For GL's

Post by 89 1500 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:21 pm

I learned a little lesson last week. The 1500 needed brakes and instead of buying what I usually do either factory or EBC I went a different route. A friend of mine who rides a 1400 Connie has been using Sumo pads for a while now and loves them. This guy rides more than anyone I know multi state weekend rides to cross country twice a year. SOOO I picked up a set on line. When they came in I glanced at them and they looked good. The next day when I was about to start my brake job I looked closer and man they were thin. I mean half of a factory pad thin. The pads I'm replacing have more meat on them. There's no possible way I'll put my or my wife's life on these. I contacted them by e-mail since they don't have a phone number listed last Friday and no answer as of today, so much for their 24 hour contact time. Fortunately I paid with paypal and will issue me a refund when I ship them back, on my dime of course. I contacted my friend who happened to be riding Arkansas over the weekend and he said his pads had plenty of material like factory. Anyway Sumo pads severely missed the mark making pads for the wing. There's no way those pads would have lasted a month if put in use. I've had a lot of luck with aftermarket pads the worst issue being excess brake dust initially which has never been an issue because I clean the bike weekly anyway, but Sumo's are a definite fail. Don't waste your time or money it's not worth the disappointment and the motions to return.