Timing belt tensioner.

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
rowanb
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Gl1500A Aspencade

Timing belt tensioner.

Post by rowanb » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:56 pm

Hi. Hope this doesn't come across as a stupid question. I just bought myself a 93 gl1500 aspencade. It has 93000 miles on it, including the 220 I put on it riding it home. I am going to change the timing belts, have them ordered, the seller said he hadn't changed the belts, and he didn't ask the person he bought it off, admins post/tutorial will be a great help. What I wanted to know is should I replace the belt tensioner s? How long do they last? Any info on how to know if they are past their best would be helpful. I am on a low budget, and the cost of buying them in the UK is about £200. I got the bike for £2500, which seemed a bargain to me but used up most of my budget.
Thanks for any help. I have been promising the other half an armchair to recline in for years, she's put up with sitting on the back of a Kawasaki GT750, not bad for pillion comfort, but the wing is in a totally different league.

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE
2008 GL1800 with 2018 California Side Car Trike Conversion

Re: Timing belt tensioner.

Post by Bluewaterhooker0 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:01 am

Like any other bearing, I think I would just spin them, and be sure they sound and feel smooth, with no noises or rough feeling spots. Check side to side free play, which there should be NONE, and if they seem alright, put them back in. I'm not aware of any mandatory mileage replacement figure, and I don't believe they would go from good to bad overnight. You would most certainly get some audible warning as they started to fail with the engine running. Save your money for a real problem, if yours are OK.

rowanb
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Gl1500A Aspencade

Re: Timing belt tensioner.

Post by rowanb » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:34 am

Thanks for that info bluewaterhooker. Just waiting on the mailman now, then I can get started.