Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1100
  • Sponsored Links
Mean Wing
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda GL1000 (K3)
1983 Honda CX650 Turbo
2002 Honda GL1800

How to repair broken plastic tabs

Post by Mean Wing » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:21 am

A broken tab is quite a common dilemma on vintage ABS covers. As long as you have a duplicate tab to create a mold from, you're golden. I reconstructed a new tab using a Plastic Repair Kit from Plastex.net. I had such great success, I ended up purchasing their Master Repair kit to address many other "plastic" problems on my newly acquired 1983 Honda CX650 Turbo. The first kit only got me through two or three repairs, then I ran out of product.

The process is quite simple, but there are plenty of "How To" videos on their web site. I'll let my pics do most of the talking, but in a nutshell, this is what it took:
1). In a cup of hot water (at least 120ºF), I heated the rubber forming block
2). With the rubber still warm, I wrapped it around my "prototype" tab and then let it cool (only takes a minute or two). NOTE: File down any previous repair work (or glue residue) on the broken part, to insure a more clean, secure bond
3). Without changing it's shape, I reheated the "mold" and seated it in position around the broken tab base
4). I selected the white powder compound and began to construct my new tab, using the Plastex patented process
5). After an hour, I peeled back the rubber, and voila!
6). I used a small hacksaw blade, file, and sandpaper to address any imperfections, and/or to perfect the shape of my new tab
Attachments

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Re: How to repair broken plastic tabs

Post by MikeB » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:49 am

Good job. I've done the same thing with the same product. I also use Plast-Aid which is very similar.

For the rubber mold, I use an electric mug warmer instead of hot water.

MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA