Adding rear shock oil

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Scaldedchevy
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 SE

Adding rear shock oil

Post by Scaldedchevy » Sun May 12, 2019 12:44 pm

Hello friends,

I want to add rear shock oil. I understand how to do this, but I need to know if I need to evacuate all of the air from the suspension before adding the oil. I know it’s probably a common sense question, due to having to compress the shocks and fill on the up-stroke, but I need to ask it just the same. It’s all a learning process for me.

The problem I am having is that I can’t ADD pressure. I am not losing pressure, but I can’t add psi. Pumps fine. In fact, it has been replaced recently to try to fix the issue. Since I am not losing air, I am guessing the next step is to add oil. Thank you for the guidance.

Thank you much
James from Louisiana

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Re: Adding rear shock oil

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Sun May 12, 2019 5:08 pm

You will lose the air because you will use the same port where the air hose is connected when replacing/adding oil.

Scaldedchevy

Post by Scaldedchevy » Sun May 12, 2019 9:10 pm

Ohhhh boy. That was a stupid question, haha. That makes sense. Thank you for being polite, and not laughing in the face of my ignorance!

James

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Tue May 14, 2019 3:12 pm

It's not a stupid question, and I'd highly recommend releasing all of the air pressure using the pressure control system before removing the fitting, otherwise you risk getting an oil shower as the air comes out.

Scaldedchevy

Post by Scaldedchevy » Wed May 15, 2019 6:12 am

Thank you. Turns out, it was the pump. So now I have a new pump on. It pumps up GREAT. BUT now it loses pressure VERY quickly. I am beyond frustrated. I have spent two days trying to find the leak. And I can’t. Before I changed the pump I at least maintained what pressure that I had. I have sprayed soapy water everywhere, checked every fitting and every o-ring 20 times. It’s killing me.

Scaldedchevy

Post by Scaldedchevy » Sun May 19, 2019 11:48 am

Scaldedchevy wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 6:12 am
Thank you. Turns out, it was the pump. So now I have a new pump on. It pumps up GREAT. BUT now it loses pressure VERY quickly. I am beyond frustrated. I have spent two days trying to find the leak. And I can’t. Before I changed the pump I at least maintained what pressure that I had. I have sprayed soapy water everywhere, checked every fitting and every o-ring 20 times. It’s killing me.

I still can’t figure it out. I replaced the pump twice. Replaced the check valves. Replaced the shock three times.

Before I started all this, I at least was not losing air. Now, I have a pump that works very well, but I keep losing air. About one pounds every 3 seconds. I have been through every line, every o-ring 100 times. I have used soapy water on every inch. I can’t find the leak. Any suggestions?

Scaldedchevy

Post by Scaldedchevy » Sun May 19, 2019 1:39 pm

Scaldedchevy wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 11:48 am
Scaldedchevy wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 6:12 am

I still can’t figure it out. I replaced the pump twice. Replaced the check valves. Replaced the shock three times.

Before I started all this, I at least was not losing air. Now, I have a pump that works very well, but I keep losing air. About one pounds every 3 seconds. I have been through every line, every o-ring 100 times. I have used soapy water on every inch. I can’t find the leak. Any suggestions?
UPDATE:
Ok, I am at the end of my rope. I have decided to go manual. I found Progressive 412-4223C 13.5”. The indication is that they fit. The 416 is no longer in production due to design flaws. They are $300 for the set, on Amazon. Does anyone have any experience with these?

The only thing that concerns me, is wether or not I will need to manually trim the suspension when my son rides. This would be a hassle. I hope there is a setting that will comfortably manage us both without changing the settings. I weigh 240. My son weighs about 180.

I understand the ride may be quite a bit stiffer with just me on it, so I would like input from anyone who knows.

Thanks