Future Add-on's

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
guitarzan
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

Future Add-on's

Post by guitarzan » Fri May 17, 2019 10:06 pm

I'm starting to put my 1994 Goldwing SE 1500 and I thought that since I have it apart, I should plan for future add-on's so I want to add some kind of power strip or fuse block, but I looked at Cyclemax and they have two things to pick from and I don't know which one to pick and I'm hoping that you can help me. Here they are:

EC02204"GL1500 Power Plate:
www.cyclemax.com/inc/searchresults?s=EC ... 4&n=466526

This is a relay controlled power distribution panel. This is made by Electrical Connection and is designed to allow lights and accessories to be installed in a safe manner. It is controlled by an easily replaceable 30Amp relay and has 6 individually fused outlets controlled by the ignition. It also has a separate port designed for you to connect your battery charger that automatically shuts off if the ignition is tuned on while the charger is connected. This mounts behind the battery bar and easily swings out for battery maintenance. This includes all mounting hardware and instructions. It will fit all Goldwing GL1500's from 1988-2000. 02204

B13-311"Accessory Fuse Block: This is just described as Accessory Fuse Block
www.cyclemax.com/inc/searchresults?s=B1 ... 1&n=172472

I just want to do this right and I don't want to be in the middle of God knows where and have a problem. Can anyone help me please.

Thank you
Frank

USMC Purple Heart Combat Veteran MOS 0331 Machine Gunner Vietnam 70-71
Best site ever is right here.

bluthundr31
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon Beige)

Re: Future Add-on's

Post by bluthundr31 » Sat May 18, 2019 2:23 am

I've got two questions that might help some folks point you in the right direction, , , , ,

1.) Do you have a High-Amp Alternator installed already? If not, you'll probably need one if your "future electrical needs" exceed the OEM alternator.

2.) Is your question directed toward a plan of increasing the "lighting system" for higher visibility in day and night riding. Many of the aftermarket lights draw lots and lots of juice. If not lights, are you thinking of additional "audio" accessories for your sound system. Speakers, amps, boosters, and such, can suck lots of juice too.

To answer your question, , my .02 cents would be the relay controlled power distribution panel.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Mon May 20, 2019 10:17 am

I've had the EC Power Plate in my GL1500 for 7 years now. It's a previous version, where the relay was mounted to the fuse block plate. You can see my original review of it here:

Electrical Connection Power Plate

It has always worked well except that I found that I was seeing a power drop: the power coming out of the power plate was 1.2 volts lower than the power going into it.

The problem ended up being the piece of junk cheap Chinese power relay that they used, and put their sticker on. It's literally one that you can buy at Walmart for $2.00. It was heating up when the bike was on, and relays should NOT heat up, so it was obviously the cause of the power drop. I yanked it and put it in its rightful place (the trash) and replaced it with a decent quality DPDT 30 amp relay, which cost around $5. Problem solved. It's worked 100% ever since, and I definitely recommend it.

I don't know why they would use a junky relay like that on an otherwise high-quality power plate, but there you go.

guitarzan

Post by guitarzan » Mon May 20, 2019 2:26 pm

I want to thank both bluthunder31, and WingAdmin,
As you know I'm not really a mechanic let alone a electrician but I've read enough here about electric problems and I don't really want to have any. I don't really understand the reason for a relay on the Power Plate? I also was reading about splitting the electrical on the bike to front electrical and rear electrical. I tried to understand it but with this darn TBI I have it's affected some of my cognitive function and I just don't get it, I cant understand it. Is it helpful to spit the electrical like that, (to the front and rear) ? I have a Grounding Block too, it's shaped in a circle with screws around the circle, would that be helpful too?

Thank you again
Frank

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Mon May 20, 2019 4:13 pm

The relay is used as a switch to turn on the power to the fuses on the power plate. The accessory output of the bike is fused at only 5 amps. So the accessory output is used to actuate the coil of the relay, which takes only a few milliamps. That relay in turn switches up to 30 amps, so it can switch power to all of the fuses on the power plate.

If the relay wasn't there, the fuses on the power plate would have power all of the time, even when the bike was turned off - so all of the accessories that you hooked up to it would stay on all the time, and you could not turn them off, even if the bike was turned off.

The grounding block is useful as well, it gives an easy way to neatly terminate grounds at a single point (which is a good thing).

guitarzan

Post by guitarzan » Mon May 20, 2019 8:14 pm

Mr. WingAdmin,
You certainly explained that to me in a clear fashion, I understand it and I thank you not only for your explanation but also for taking the time to do it.

Thank you
Frank

guitarzan

Post by guitarzan » Thu May 23, 2019 6:31 pm

Hello,
I just left the auto parts store and I showed them the relay that I wanted to replace from the accessory power plate and and they told me that the numberone manufacturer of aftermarket relays was Dorman, which is manufactured in China and that's all they sold, if I go to the Honda motorcycle shop, will they have a better product in relays? I just don't want to get a relay that's going to heat up.

Thank you
Frank

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE
2018 Ural Gearup

Post by Happytrails » Thu May 23, 2019 7:32 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 10:17 am
I've had the EC Power Plate in my GL1500 for 7 years now. It's a previous version, where the relay was mounted to the fuse block plate. You can see my original review of it here:

Electrical Connection Power Plate

It has always worked well except that I found that I was seeing a power drop: the power coming out of the power plate was 1.2 volts lower than the power going into it.

The problem ended up being the piece of junk cheap Chinese power relay that they used, and put their sticker on. It's literally one that you can buy at Walmart for $2.00. It was heating up when the bike was on, and relays should NOT heat up, so it was obviously the cause of the power drop. I yanked it and put it in its rightful place (the trash) and replaced it with a decent quality DPDT 30 amp relay, which cost around $5. Problem solved. It's worked 100% ever since, and I definitely recommend it.

I don't know why they would use a junky relay like that on an otherwise high-quality power plate, but there you go.
Wow glad I read this post. I have the same power plate and didn't notice this. It'll give me something to check next time :D
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Thu May 23, 2019 9:53 pm

guitarzan wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 6:31 pm
Hello,
I just left the auto parts store and I showed them the relay that I wanted to replace from the accessory power plate and and they told me that the numberone manufacturer of aftermarket relays was Dorman, which is manufactured in China and that's all they sold, if I go to the Honda motorcycle shop, will they have a better product in relays? I just don't want to get a relay that's going to heat up.

Thank you
Frank
LOL...Dorman is a good company that makes a lot of things, but relays is definitely not one of them. They buy Chinese relays and sell them as their own - but you can find the exact same relays sold as Hella, and a few other brands as well.

There are some decent manufacturers of relays that actually make their own - Omron is probably the top, Panasonic, Honeywell...

You should be fine with the Dorman relay. The relay I got with my EC power plate was a "The Install Bay" brand relay, which is the exact same relay that Wal-Mart sells as their "Economy" relay. When Wal-Mart sells an "economy" version of something, you know it's crap. :)