The LED headlight “How To” post

Step-by-step tutorials on how to maintain and fix your GL1200
  • Sponsored Links
TheRepoGuy
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200I Interstate
1985 GL1200A Aspencade

The LED headlight “How To” post

Post by TheRepoGuy » Thu May 23, 2019 9:22 am

I hope this will help someone else - Maybe the moderators can move it over if they deem it helpful.

Alright folks - I’m going to drop this here as well as on the Goldwing site for those who want to do the LED upgrade for a headlight.

For the build; I bought a 4 sided H4 LED headlight off eBay with a resistor built into it. I believe it came from MostPlus which is likely some Chinese made off brand ha! It comes in a two pack so make sure and save the second bulb in the event the headlight burns out which takes a while according to the manufacturer and lifespan of an LED bulb

Onward to the install - you have to pull the headlight so removing the windshield is half the battle; once that is completed remove the headlight and disconnect the side markers on the side of the headlight. Make sure and remove the headlight adjusters; those three Phillips head screws are kind of a pain just because of the clearance inside the headlight housing.

First thing is first - there’s a perfect little circle behind the headlight which needs to be punched out. I used a small drill-bit and followed the lines around the circle then used the small saw attachment for my dremel tool to cut the hole out.

Once the piece of plastic behind the light assembly was removed, I had to push the headlight connector back into the faring, that part alone was slightly difficult just because the opening where the wires come into the headlight are tight and maneuvering the connector. I took the back end of the bulb where the resistor is and pushed that through the faring; connected the connector and off we went!

It’s fairly simple - the process in whole took me about 20 minutes from start to finish. Hopefully that will help some of y’all out if you want to go with the LED upgraded headlight.

grand rouge
Motorcycle: 1985 GL 1200L...... and an owned since new 83 Suzuki GS 1100E

Re: The LED headlight “How To” post

Post by grand rouge » Thu May 23, 2019 11:33 am

Thanks for the tutorial / pictorial. Looking forward to your night riding experience. Comments etc. Perhaps some pics of light pattern against a light colored wall, garage door etc. Oh and maybe a 'deer eyes' shot also and...…

For sure the original lighting needs a big improvement, doesn't it.....

TheRepoGuy
1985 GL1200A Aspencade

Post by TheRepoGuy » Thu May 23, 2019 12:10 pm

grand rouge wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 11:33 am
Thanks for the tutorial / pictorial. Looking forward to your night riding experience. Comments etc. Perhaps some pics of light pattern against a light colored wall, garage door etc. Oh and maybe a 'deer eyes' shot also and...…

For sure the original lighting needs a big improvement, doesn't it.....
Once the old girl gets running and on the road again I’ll be able to report back; she’s still got a no spark issue at the moment which is on the to be fixed list! Regardless I’d concur 100% the Halogen needed to go!
Nate

grand rouge
Motorcycle: 1985 GL 1200L...... and an owned since new 83 Suzuki GS 1100E

Post by grand rouge » Thu May 23, 2019 12:58 pm

Lots of posts here as you know re no spark issues..... you will get there.

Again...thanks re the LED info. Been a few of em….but...I like the LED array ...4 sides..and the resistor ….so no headlight out false warning.. all good.

TheRepoGuy
1985 GL1200A Aspencade

Post by TheRepoGuy » Thu May 23, 2019 9:50 pm

Here’s the night shot of the headlight and this is with the high beam turned in

Wreckster
Motorcycle: 1986 1200A, 2014 V-Strom

Post by Wreckster » Sun May 26, 2019 12:03 am

Actually JUST put a version 2 pathfinder led in mine. Had to cut out the dimple behind the light as well and also tucked the box back in the fairing. Brief test light output looks decent. Functional high beam to boot.

Already swapped to led driving lights from superbright. Led trunk lights and license plate light. I also put in led parking lights, need to change those for better ones though, I cheaped out and they're lackluster.

I'll have to get some night shots when able. Should be plenty bright.

Wreckster

Post by Wreckster » Fri May 31, 2019 9:53 pm

Ok, can confirm. Pathfinder V2 is PERFECT in out headlights. No funky beam pattern or anything, fantastic cutoff, very usable high beam.

Now here's the catch. The bulk ships in position 6, which is the first notch to the left. Beam is all sorts of screwy in this position. Turn it to position 8 and its perfect.

No shots yet unfortunately.. kinda hard to get an empty road to get a picture. Will have to work on that.

DaRamblerman
Motorcycle: 87 GL1200A. 125,000 miles

Post by DaRamblerman » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:58 pm

Where to get the pathfinder v2? Thnx

Wreckster

Post by Wreckster » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:49 pm

Danny W
Motorcycle: 87GL1200A, 82Gl500I

Post by Danny W » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:08 am

Thanks it's on order.

Wreckster

Post by Wreckster » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:02 am

Good deal. Remember to set to position 8 (at least that's where mine ended up) and you'll need to cut out the depression and work the wiring a bit. Post up when done