Auto Volume Control

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
tanker684
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Limited

Auto Volume Control

Post by tanker684 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:39 am

Good morning, excellent site for information. So far I have rebuilt my starter and have the Air Suspension system working mostly due to the information provided here in these forms.

My current project is to get the auto volume to function as it should. I have already disconnected the 5 pin din connectors from the ETC and bypassed them to make the radio work. Then I got to thinking that maybe I could us the left lower fairing mounted auto volume controller that is used on other Models. Mine is a 1985 GL 1200 Limited Edition. I went and ordered a RM-1103 to replace the RD-1201 that is the ETC. Hooked it up as per the wiring diagram and that part works. Now comes the challenge, how to hook up the speed sensor in order for it to be able to function correctly.

From the schematic it shows that Pin 6 on the Instrument cluster terminal (Bl/Y) is labelled as the Speed Sensor Output, I assume that this is feed to the ETC for speed related functions. Can I tap this line to get the required signal to run the Auto Volume Controller? Or should I be looking at Pin 7 on the ETC connector Speed 4 Pulse Output (W/Bl) which goes to pin 41 of the Instrument cluster terminal. I'm thinking Pin 6 is the way to go. Has anyone tried this configuration before? Or is there a schematic for a bike that uses the RM-1103 (Aspencade?) which would show where the Auto Volume Controller gets its signal?

It all sounds good in theory and I was encouraged when I hooked up the RM-1103 and it allowed the sound to pass through the controller.

Any help would be apprectiated, thanks in advance.

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Re: Auto Volume Control

Post by CrystalPistol » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:50 pm

I don't know about all that. when my '85's AV died, I removed it, bypassed it, and sent it to Sierra Electronics. In a little over a week, I had it back in hand and reinstalled, all was A-OK.

joemama2028
Motorcycle: 1985 Honda Goldwing GL1200A Aspencade

Post by joemama2028 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:19 am

Hi,
You're saying you sent the auto volume control to have it serviced? I though they only worked in the radio's.

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:56 pm

joemama2028 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:19 am
Hi,
You're saying you sent the auto volume control to have it serviced? I though they only worked in the radio's.
Yes but I did call first. Auto Vol is part of radio / cassette. Mine had the two 5 pin plugs (male & female) and a signal wire at the AV unit.