My venture into the SCC

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Ob1quixote
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200
1979 GL1000
BSA 441
Suzuki DRZ400
Honda CR480

My venture into the SCC

Post by Ob1quixote » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:45 pm

I picked up a 1979 GW survivor, and while putting a resto-mod, found my carburetor had been trashed by a previous owner, there had only been 2. Trashed to a level that I felt they were not good candidates for a rebuild by me or a paid service.

So, I began to read up on my options. I read here, read at Steve Saunders and NGW. I will be sharing these posts there as well, since all have contributed to my research.
Went with an eBay combo, 34 PICT3 and manifold.

I liked this one for the smooth curved shape and the claim {true} that the tool tray would still fit. I had plans for the tool tray; cigarette power plug, USB charger port. Telephone installation advice and installation instruction sheet as advertised in the auction, nowhere to be found.

Still, was happy with the manifold, robust welds, nice flat mounting plate. Installation was no big deal. Followed some well written 34PICT3 tuning adjustments, and it ran. High idle speeds, stumbling in the 2K-3Krpm range. Also, the manifold runners were chilled to the point I'm sure I could ride with a canned drink rested there and stop to have a fairly cold drink.

To combat the cold manifold, I went with something new {or at least I hadnt run into it while researching}
Motorcycle grip heaters, 2 pairs.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Installation started with a layer of Gorilla tape as a bit of electrical insulation just in case they burned through. Then applied the self adhesive heaters. Wiring was done for maximum heat, each panel accessing the full 12V. Testing before installation showed very little heat generated when using any form of series wiring.I did not install the resistor for the lower temperature option.

For testing, I install a simple on/off switch. I also insulated the manifolds with this.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Frost-King-...lation/1081449

This stuff is somewhat adhesive, but not for long term, so I secured it with a plain aluminum tape.

I only insulated the manifold, and while improvements were noted, I knew I had more work to do. I did not want to be running the grip heaters at all times, and I wanted some free heat.

I solved this be redoing the insulation to include the coolant crossover tube. starting with the underside, I applied the foil/rubber insulation, trying to keep the pieces large, patching holes with smaller pieces.

Before I wrapped the top, I included a programmable 12V electronic thermostat into the mix.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Placed the thermocouple within the dead air space of the insulation shroud, then wrapped the top and gave the whole shroud an overlay of plain aluminum foil tape.

The thermostat not only gave me a readout of the cut-off temperature, but also the actual temperature inside the insulated shroud. Initially I set the temperature to turn off the grip heaters at 120 degrees, but it was soon evident that I could cut them off sooner, as temperatures got to the 130-150 range when the bike was fully hot. Set at 95 degrees now.

Felt that some of my rough running was ignition oriented, and found I was right after installing a Dyna S ignition.

I also disconnected the electric choke. I loosened the choke adjustment ring and rotated it clockwise to allow the bimetal spring inside to close the choke when cold, and to allow a small amount of choke plate to drop at idle. Under throttle the plate opens up easily.

As it sits now, I have a bike that will idle between 1000-1100 rpm. Much of the stumbling between 2k-3Krpm is gone, and 3Krpm on up it is a stronger runner! I am done with the tweaking and will be doing mileage tests now. A check in the mid-tweak testing showed 25mpg, but there was a lot of fuel burned while the bike was on the center stand. Time for some real world mpg testing.

If I cant get the mileage where I want it, 35-40 mpg, I will probably look at a Solex 30. I suspect I will find it will be running rich, and that the 34PICT3 is simply too much carb for a 1 liter motor.

Oh, and the resto-mod?

gipsy42
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 SE
1978 GL1000

Re: My venture into the SCC

Post by gipsy42 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:10 pm

Congrats on the good job that you've done, and nice write up too.
Very interesting and good to keep in mind, just in case ... :roll:
Mario
aka Gipsy42
And still riding...
I just regrets the things I haven't done.

http://www.surfcam.com.ar
http://www.cre-angeles.org.ar

Ob1quixote
1979 GL1000
BSA 441
Suzuki DRZ400
Honda CR480

Post by Ob1quixote » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:18 pm

Thank you!

Initial mileage tests done, 29.3 mpg on 3.25 gallons, mixed driving from local street to highway speeds.
Still hope to see 35-40 mpg.

Have the Dyna S ignition and Dyna 3 ohm coils installed now.
Carb came with a 55 idle jet.
I installed a 45 jet, and rotated the choke back to full open {and disconnected power}

Noting the my temperatures inside the manifold shroud are running a bit cooler, in the 120s

Ob1quixote
1979 GL1000
BSA 441
Suzuki DRZ400
Honda CR480

Post by Ob1quixote » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:58 pm

Didnt like a low rpm stumble that came with the 45 idle jet, didnt bother checking mileage.
Installed a 50 idle jet today, stumbles at low rpm slightly when cold, but smooths out after it warms up.

Mileage test this weekend, when I take off for a mini trip, Charleston SC - Cherokee NC - Blowing Rock NC - Charleston SC.

Little bit of Blue Ridge Parkway with some friends who are going the distance of the BRP and Skyline Parkway over the course of a week.

Ob1quixote
1979 GL1000
BSA 441
Suzuki DRZ400
Honda CR480

Post by Ob1quixote » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:35 pm

About 1000 miles total Friday-Sunday
Trip up to Cherokee NC running about 75mph, about 31.5 mpg, until I got off the slab where it jumped to 35 mpg.
Back onto some hilly slab, dropped back to 30.5 mpg.

The trip on the BRP was at a leisurely pace, getting between 34.6 and 36.3 mpg.

The trip to Charleston SC from Blowing Rock NC, I dialed the speed back a bit. I had had to adjst the carb for altitude, and was adjusting it back on the way down. Speeds around 65 mph, got about 35 mpg.

Thinking I have a lean situation when on the main jet, difficulty hold a speed and blued mufflers.
Replace the 127.5 main jet with a 130, see how that goes.
Initial ride says gitty-up-go mode likes the 130!

Ob1quixote
1979 GL1000
BSA 441
Suzuki DRZ400
Honda CR480

Post by Ob1quixote » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:20 am

Ran a tank through with the 130 jet. Much easier to hold a given speed, and the muffler section I removed the bluing from remained clean! Forgot to reset my odo, so no mpg number. Guess I will just have to run another tank of fuel through it...!

Have a 132.5 jet on the way for testing.

Plan is that once I get the main jet size sorted, I will then have a look at the auxiliary jet {WOT circuit} if necessary after some plug chop tests. I expect to lean out the WOT a little.