bike won,t start

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
billy411
Motorcycle: 1996 Honda Goldwing se

bike won,t start

Post by billy411 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:26 pm

bike will wind over no start spark fuel new battery I notice the battery will drop to 10 volts when winging over
battery shoes 12 volts when charge check starter draw seems ok any budy got a answer

bluthundr31
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon Beige)

Re: bike won,t start

Post by bluthundr31 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:01 pm

These 1500's are POWER-HOGS at startup. 12v with "no load" and 10v with "load" is a good indicator that your battery needs replacing. Put the battery on a charger and try to get 12.5v or more with "no load". The ECM/coils circuit will want close to 10.7-11.5 volts in order to start that engine. There could be other issues, but the battery is the first place to start IMHO.

There is a great thread about wiring a relay between the coils and the ECM (IIRC) that will give the coils more "juice" to fire up, , it might be a good idea to look at. I'll find that thread and this link comes closest to what I was thinking;
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-g ... olved.html

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Re: bike won,t start

Post by Mh434 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:11 pm

Your battery is very likely dying (and possibly your alternator needs upgrading).

Here's a simple test - With the choke etc. set appropriately, plus give it a bit of throttle & release (for a bit of extra fuel from the accelerator pump), crank the engine for 5-6 seconds. As you release the starter button, it may well start.

The reason is because GL1500's need a LOT of juice to start. While cranking, if the battery is on its way out, there's enough juice to run either the starter, OR the ignition, but NOT BOTH. When you release the starter button, there can be enough left to fire the ignition while the engine is still spinning for a moment, and the engine will start. I've seen this many times before (including on my own bike, with a supposedly quite "new" Odyssey battery). A brand new AGM-type battery fixed it instantly.

I also went with an aftermarket, 95-amp alternator. Now, I have all the juice I can ever need.