How much risk is too much risk?

Anything goes - doesn't fit any other category!
  • Sponsored Links
hondaglide
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800

Re: How much risk is too much risk?

Post by hondaglide » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:26 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:44 pm
Ontario instituted a new law as of January 1st of this year. Drivers who are caught talking on their phones, texting, dialing or emailing using a hand-held device, such as a cell phone and other entertainment devices will be fined up to $1,000 with a three-day licence suspension and three demerit points.

Drivers with more than one distracted driving conviction will face a fine of up to $2,000, a seven-day licence suspension and six demerit points, while motorists who have been caught driving distracted more than two times will pay a fine of up to $3,000 and lose their license for 30 days.

I wish they'd do that here in Ohio.

People texting and talking on their phones while driving is the NORM here. It's odd when you see someone driving a car - particularly someone under the age of 25, and PARTICULARLY a female, who DOESN'T have a phone clamped to the side of their head as they drive.
I live in the Toronto area and the seemingly draconian law that you noted is ignored by too many idiots. Phones are like a narcotic for many people who just can't stop texting and talking. Despite this law there are many I see every day using their phones as if the law didn't exist. I suppose it's a numbers game in that the odds are low that a police officer will catch you using your phone thus many take a chance and get away with it. I will only drive in the Toronto area if I'm leaving the city or coming home from somewhere. Otherwise it's simply too dangerous to ride a bike in this city. The Toronto area is saturated with idiot drivers. Even driving a car here is nerve wracking!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:42 pm

hondaglide wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:26 pm
WingAdmin wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:44 pm
Ontario instituted a new law as of January 1st of this year. Drivers who are caught talking on their phones, texting, dialing or emailing using a hand-held device, such as a cell phone and other entertainment devices will be fined up to $1,000 with a three-day licence suspension and three demerit points.

Drivers with more than one distracted driving conviction will face a fine of up to $2,000, a seven-day licence suspension and six demerit points, while motorists who have been caught driving distracted more than two times will pay a fine of up to $3,000 and lose their license for 30 days.

I wish they'd do that here in Ohio.

People texting and talking on their phones while driving is the NORM here. It's odd when you see someone driving a car - particularly someone under the age of 25, and PARTICULARLY a female, who DOESN'T have a phone clamped to the side of their head as they drive.
I live in the Toronto area and the seemingly draconian law that you noted is ignored by too many idiots. Phones are like a narcotic for many people who just can't stop texting and talking. Despite this law there are many I see every day using their phones as if the law didn't exist. I suppose it's a numbers game in that the odds are low that a police officer will catch you using your phone thus many take a chance and get away with it. I will only drive in the Toronto area if I'm leaving the city or coming home from somewhere. Otherwise it's simply too dangerous to ride a bike in this city. The Toronto area is saturated with idiot drivers. Even driving a car here is nerve wracking!
I'm from that area originally, and last summer rode up the 427 and across the 401 on a weekday. As I was on the 401 between the 427 and 400, I was genuinely afraid for my life. Careless, crazy drivers, doing stupid, unpredictable things at extremely high speed, in areas where there is zero escape route and no shoulder to speak of. I will not do that again.

C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Post by C-dub » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:11 pm

captdecker wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:43 pm
C-dub
As I too take a dislike to distracted drivers, I also have a sadness of officers and a judge in your post. Enforce the laws with a touch of common sense, is how it should be not to place there thoughts as to what they think /feel what the law should be.. the law is the law. With the common sense, not a hard handed way.

If your town has, has much trouble as your post, you could call the FBI and make a "Color of Law" complaint.

Will most officers are good and hard working people. The few that aren't ten to be VERY poor ones.

To all of us ride safe seeing all we can to be safe.
The town is Carrollton, TX, and has a reputation for it. On the interstate that goes through it the posted limit on either side is 70mph, but just through this town they have it at 65mph. They catch a lot of people going 5-10 over that don't know or pay attention to the changes. And on the north side of town the drop is about a half mile further south than the increase on the northbound side. I see LEOs running radar/laser, on the southbound side all the time.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

C-dub
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M

Post by C-dub » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:14 pm

Poptime wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:06 pm
C-dub wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:10 pm
Our cell phone while driving laws bug the daylights out of me. They are nothing but revenue generators here. Just like the red light cameras that were recently outlawed in Texas.

People are attacking cell phones because they are high profile and an easy target. What about men shaving with electric razors or women applying makeup? Or people reading a book or magazine? My daughter could have just as easily been looking a piece of paper on the floor of the passenger side or a bug that crawled out from underneath the passenger seat. Or the radio station or the title of whatever song was on the display. There's no law against any of those other things.

I view this whole texting or using a cell phone while driving thing a little like the folks going after guns or at least certain types of guns. The gun isn't the problem any more than Dodge was for that guy that just got life for running over those people in Charlotte a year or two ago. Laws don't change the violent behavior or lack of respect for others of people that are violent by nature. A law won't address the issue of drivers that are selfish or reckless no matter what any law prohibits. People still speed, change lanes or turn without signalling, and they will still find a way to text or whatever without it being obvious or any other behavior that they think they can do while driving that takes their attention away from the road and other drivers.
I have seen people reading books, putting on makeup, etc. But I see people using cell phones several times every day. The difference is how often it happens. Distracted driving is distracted driving, but there has been a huge increase with cell phones.
On my way home tonight I noticed a car with Florida plates with a phone affixed to the dash right above the gps map display with a movie on. I could see both the driver and front passenger watching the movie. I moved up ahead of them and stayed ahead of them until my exit. They kept going.

I pretty much treat all other vehicle around me like 1979Wing does. It's not foolproof, but works pretty well.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:51 am

WingAdmin wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:04 pm
Once again reading up about the tragedy in New Hampshire, and thinking about the recent rides I've taken. In just about every single one of them, I have had to do some sort of emergency maneuver to avoid being hit by a clueless idiot not paying attention to the road. The epidemic of phone-addled drivers is beyond ridiculous at this point.

I'm suspecting that something will have to give. Either some serious legislation, with TEETH, and that is ENFORCED, to stop this scourge of phone-using drivers, or I have to start thinking about whether or not riding a motorcycle will continue to be in my future. Is the pleasure and joy of riding motorcycles worth the potential risk from idiots on the road?

I would be happy with the use of a phone while driving being made a primary offense (i.e. they can pull you over if they see you with a phone in your hand), with serious fines and penalties. $1,000 first offense and 30 day license suspension. The penalties increase tenfold for each subsequent offense. Cause an accident while using your phone, it's a criminal charge with mandatory jail time.

In a perfect world where I am king, this law would go into effect tomorrow. I'm just so sick and tired of having to continually save my own life from clueless idiots who don't give a damn who they hurt, maim or kill as long as they get their Facebook fix.
Here in Oklahoma it is now a primary offense, forget the fine.
and a suspension of driving priviledges, but a LEO has to see you and stop you.

for DUI fatalities? no excuses allowed, go straight to prison, no parole, ever. you are done. we need to get the hand held devices to that point.

https://www.drivinglaws.org/ok.php

here I think they made a mistake:
Fines. A violation of the commercial driver cellphone and texting ban is a misdemeanor. Convicted drivers are looking at a $500 fine.

it needs to be a Felony, and loss of driving priviledges for 1 year, plus a healthy fine, $500 won't cut it.
~John
What is the Forum Index?
http://bit.ly/2GnjbzV

Download it here:
http://bit.ly/2SLDNqF

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:24 am

C-dub wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:11 pm
captdecker wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:43 pm
C-dub
As I too take a dislike to distracted drivers, I also have a sadness of officers and a judge in your post. Enforce the laws with a touch of common sense, is how it should be not to place there thoughts as to what they think /feel what the law should be.. the law is the law. With the common sense, not a hard handed way.

If your town has, has much trouble as your post, you could call the FBI and make a "Color of Law" complaint.

Will most officers are good and hard working people. The few that aren't ten to be VERY poor ones.

To all of us ride safe seeing all we can to be safe.
The town is Carrollton, TX, and has a reputation for it. On the interstate that goes through it the posted limit on either side is 70mph, but just through this town they have it at 65mph. They catch a lot of people going 5-10 over that don't know or pay attention to the changes. And on the north side of town the drop is about a half mile further south than the increase on the northbound side. I see LEOs running radar/laser, on the southbound side all the time.
Erie, PA is the same way. I-90 runs through it with a speed limit of 65 (70 in Ohio) on either side, but for 12 miles through Erie, for no good reason, it drops to 55 mph - and you can guess exactly where the police sit and run their radar traps.

canuck623
Motorcycle: 2008 GL 1800 Level 3

Post by canuck623 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:47 am

AZgl1800 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:51 am
WingAdmin wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:04 pm
Once again reading up about the tragedy in New Hampshire, and thinking about the recent rides I've taken. In just about every single one of them, I have had to do some sort of emergency maneuver to avoid being hit by a clueless idiot not paying attention to the road. The epidemic of phone-addled drivers is beyond ridiculous at this point.

I'm suspecting that something will have to give. Either some serious legislation, with TEETH, and that is ENFORCED, to stop this scourge of phone-using drivers, or I have to start thinking about whether or not riding a motorcycle will continue to be in my future. Is the pleasure and joy of riding motorcycles worth the potential risk from idiots on the road?

I would be happy with the use of a phone while driving being made a primary offense (i.e. they can pull you over if they see you with a phone in your hand), with serious fines and penalties. $1,000 first offense and 30 day license suspension. The penalties increase tenfold for each subsequent offense. Cause an accident while using your phone, it's a criminal charge with mandatory jail time.

In a perfect world where I am king, this law would go into effect tomorrow. I'm just so sick and tired of having to continually save my own life from clueless idiots who don't give a damn who they hurt, maim or kill as long as they get their Facebook fix.
Here in Oklahoma it is now a primary offense, forget the fine.
and a suspension of driving priviledges, but a LEO has to see you and stop you.

for DUI fatalities? no excuses allowed, go straight to prison, no parole, ever. you are done. we need to get the hand held devices to that point.

https://www.drivinglaws.org/ok.php

here I think they made a mistake:
Fines. A violation of the commercial driver cellphone and texting ban is a misdemeanor. Convicted drivers are looking at a $500 fine.

it needs to be a Felony, and loss of driving priviledges for 1 year, plus a healthy fine, $500 won't cut it.
Here in Arizona they just passed a primary offense, hand held device ban but it is useless. The fines and points won't start till mid 2021 so for now it's just warnings. With no teeth the laws is not worth anything, it won't cost anyone cash or a license so they don't care.
2008 GL1800
1990 GL1500
1986 GL1200
1983 GL1100
1982 CBX 1000
1972 CB750
1966 305 Dream

bigsteveswing
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500I
Motorvation Formula II sidecar

Post by bigsteveswing » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:50 am

Erie, PA is the same way. I-90 runs through it with a speed limit of 65 (70 in Ohio) on either side, but for 12 miles through Erie, for no good reason, it drops to 55 mph - and you can guess exactly where the police sit and run their radar traps.
I second that, when you come towards town from the east it drops from 65 to 55 and you get a bunch of cars braking hard all at once and a bunch that "never saw the signs" they just get pissed about anyone who slowed down. I know it's coming so I slow gradually with my cruise, I usually run 5-8mph over, I'm usually one of the ones getting glared at...

The PSP cars sure seem to like that area and anywhere north of I-90 on I-79, it's 55 there too and they are always nailing people there.

Straydogg
Motorcycle: 1989 Goldwing

Post by Straydogg » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:24 am

bigsteveswing wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:50 am
I second that, when you come towards town from the east it drops from 65 to 55 and you get a bunch of cars braking hard all at once and a bunch that "never saw the signs" they just get pissed about anyone who slowed down. I know it's coming so I slow gradually with my cruise, I usually run 5-8mph over, I'm usually one of the ones getting glared at...

The PSP cars sure seem to like that area and anywhere north of I-90 on I-79, it's 55 there too and they are always nailing people there.

On Sunday I left Washington County, south of Pittsburgh at 6 am and rode to Erie. I did not see one State Trooper. Even on the way home around noon, I didn't see any either. That's a very rare occurrence for sure. And the way some people drive they could have written a lot of tickets.

wildanimal84
Motorcycle: 1993 Cobalt Blue Goldwing Aspencade
2002 Cobalt Blue Suzuki Intruder 1500 cc

Post by wildanimal84 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:53 pm

The wife and I, along with our friends think about these things every time we head out, but the pleasure and fun we have is worth the risk. We've rode the Dragons Tail, The Bourbon trail here in Kentucky, along with many other road trips. We are constantly looking out for dangers on the road all the time. A little prayer before we head out never hurts either. We try to get the lowdown on weather, road conditions and so on. But sometimes all the careful preparations and prayers are simply not enough, we let our guard down or get caught up in thrill of the ride, and it happens. May the good Lord watch over and protect us in our 2-wheel journeys always !

Straydogg

Post by Straydogg » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:00 pm

wildanimal84 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:53 pm
The wife and I, along with our friends think about these things every time we head out, but the pleasure and fun we have is worth the risk. We've rode the Dragons Tail, The Bourbon trail here in Kentucky, along with many other road trips. We are constantly looking out for dangers on the road all the time. A little prayer before we head out never hurts either. We try to get the lowdown on weather, road conditions and so on. But sometimes all the careful preparations and prayers are simply not enough, we let our guard down or get caught up in thrill of the ride, and it happens. May the good Lord watch over and protect us in our 2-wheel journeys always !
Yep....well said! :) :) :)

mterraci
Motorcycle: 2007 Honda Goldwing

Post by mterraci » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:05 am

I think driverless cars will be the key to a safer driving world. Then anyone who needs to play with a cell phone can do what they want without trying to kill the rest of us while they travel. I personally don't understand the cell phone addiction but it certainly seems to be there.

Good thing people don't have to choose between cell phones or breathing, a lot of people would be passing out, lol. Shows you where our priorities have gone; sad that cell phones are more important to many than life itself.

It'll be interesting to see if those who can't put their phones down protest the loudest when driverless cars do come out. Heaven forbid you don't put somebody's life in danger while you play on the phone.

Put the phone down. It's just not that important.

Straydogg

Post by Straydogg » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:02 pm

Well, it sure does seem to be important. So when did people start thinking that a phone call could not wait maybe 30 minutes for a reply? Are we really that important? Also, just try to find a pay phone these days. Cell phones made them obsolete.

jerryd15
Motorcycle: 2005 GL 1800

Post by jerryd15 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:21 am

Solina Dave wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:36 am
I have a question. There's a lot of them, but I do have one in particular.

I like to think that I know where everyone is coming from, in regards to their take on this very complex issue. "How much risk is too much risk?" That's a very good question. I seem able to answer it only, with another question. "Compared to what?"
Everyone has very individual circumstances, and life requirements, and ways to justify. I'm 72 years old. I know that I'm not as quick as I used to be. How much, less quick, I'm not sure. A brief history: My wife left me 12 years ago, my kids are grown up and doing their thing, I live alone in my apartment, I play my guitar, I pick up a coffee and drive down to the lake to watch the geese, I read, I study, I watch TV, etc. etc. etc. I'm financially afloat, and life's pretty good. I also ride a motorcycle. That's been happening since I was 30 years old. I ride alone. I find it refreshing and it offers me a chance to cleanse my mind. "It's a beautiful thing." It's a very beautiful thing! And I ride a lot.
I likely realize that I should pack it in, and stop riding. But what the hell am I going to do then? That's the dilemma! :roll: How do you replace something so utterly unique, as riding a motorcycle? How do you replace something that unique, and so critical, to one's peace of mind?

There.....that's my question.............Dave...............I suppose I could take up knitting! :lol:
I am 75 married, kids and grand kids around but have almost the same thing. They push me to get a trike. Sure my legs aren't what they used to be, I even have a new knee replacement. As long as I can ride safely I will continue. I do ride very defensively. I consider it my job to stay out of everyone else's way. I have only been riding for about 20 years and had one accident (my fault) because I did not follow my defensive driving rules.

Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Post by Solina Dave » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:41 am

jerryd15 wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:21 am
Solina Dave wrote:

I like to think that I know where everyone is coming from, in regards to their take on this very complex issue. "How much risk is too much risk?" That's a very good question. I seem able to answer it only, with another question. "Compared to what?"
Everyone has very individual circumstances, and life requirements, and ways to justify. I'm 72 years old. I know that I'm not as quick as I used to be. How much, less quick, I'm not sure. A brief history: My wife left me 12 years ago, my kids are grown up and doing their thing, I live alone in my apartment, I play my guitar, I pick up a coffee and drive down to the lake to watch the geese, I read, I study, I watch TV, etc. etc. etc. I'm financially afloat, and life's pretty good. I also ride a motorcycle. That's been happening since I was 30 years old. I ride alone. I find it refreshing and it offers me a chance to cleanse my mind. "It's a beautiful thing." It's a very beautiful thing! And I ride a lot.
I likely realize that I should pack it in, and stop riding. But what the hell am I going to do then? That's the dilemma! :roll: How do you replace something so utterly unique, as riding a motorcycle? How do you replace something that unique, and so critical, to one's peace of mind?

There.....that's my question.............Dave...............I suppose I could take up knitting! :lol:
I am 75 married, kids and grand kids around but have almost the same thing. They push me to get a trike. Sure my legs aren't what they used to be, I even have a new knee replacement. As long as I can ride safely I will continue. I do ride very defensively. I consider it my job to stay out of everyone else's way. I have only been riding for about 20 years and had one accident (my fault) because I did not follow my defensive driving rules.
Well there you go Jerry. I think we're on the same page. Who knows what the future holds? But knowing what I'm like, for now, a trike just wouldn't cut it. No offence to anyone who's into trikes. Good for you. But they're just not my style.
I also will likely ride as long as I can ride safely. But that too, is another question isn't it? I also am a very moderate, careful rider, who rides defensively, and stays out of everyone's way as much as I can.
Last month Lijana Wallenda walked across a tightrope that was 1300 feet long, and 25 stories above Times Square. It was her first walk since a near fatal fall in 2017. Granted, she wore a safety harness this time, but that's not why she went up there. She did that walk because that's who she is. Does that make any sense? :lol:

Dave
"Assume Nothing"

wildanimal84

Post by wildanimal84 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:13 pm

JerryD15 has a good point, each one of us must decide what is to much risk

Corkster52
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 Aspencade
1988 GL1500 (sold 4/17)

Post by Corkster52 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:33 pm

mterraci wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:05 am
I think driverless cars will be the key to a safer driving world. Then anyone who needs to play with a cell phone can do what they want without trying to kill the rest of us while they travel. I personally don't understand the cell phone addiction but it certainly seems to be there.
Wow, this a very serious topic, and I NEVER thought I'd here WinMan toying with thought of giving it up. Maybe self-driving cars will only be the way we can get our care free lives back

Corkster52
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 Aspencade
1988 GL1500 (sold 4/17)

Post by Corkster52 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:33 am

I found this on an 1800 page and thought it might ring true for a number of us that choose to ride as the world itself becomes a more risky place.

Found this on a Facebook page and wanted to share. Kinda sums up why I CHOOSE to ride!

Ever since I rode my first bike, I've been told endless times "it's dangerous", "you'll get hurt", "we don't want nothing to happen", "it's not worth it", "you could DIE."
Trust me, I know. I guarantee I've thought about it more than anyone I've talked to that doesn't ride. If I do die riding someday (which I hope that day never comes,) know that I'm the happiest I could be, sweating like a pig or shivering from the cold air, butt is as sore as it could be, enjoying what I love and what it gives me.
Those really close to me know it's much more then getting on a machine and how much it means to me.
What lots of people don't know is that you make so many memories, go on so many adventures, how freeing it is, make new friends and one day sitting around with everyone, you'll have a moment where you think to yourself "Wow, never would I thought I'd gain another family out of this and love them as much as I love my own."
THE DREAM THAT MANY WILL NOT UNDERSTAND:
I bought a BIKE for a personal dream.
One day when I am very old and when I can not walk anymore, it will be in my garage as a trophy of my memories.
I met people who taught me something and have the same spirit and I met others that I'm glad I forgot.
I got wet,
I felt cold,
And I felt warm,
I was afraid,
I fell,
And I stood up,
I even hurt myself,
But also, I laughed out loud inside the helmet.
I spoke a thousand times with myself.
I sang and shouted with joy like a madman,
And yes ... sometimes I cried.
I have seen wonderful places and lived unforgettable experiences.
I often made curves that even Valentino Rossi would be proud of other times I took curves full of terror.
I stopped a thousand times to see a landscape.
I spoke with perfect strangers, and I forgot people I see every day.
I went out with my demons inside and returned home with a feeling of absolute peace in my heart.
I always thought how dangerous it is, knowing that the meaning of courage is to advance even when feeling fear.
Every time I go up to my machine I think about how wonderful it is.
I stopped talking to those who do not understand, (they just don’t understand) and I learned through gestures to communicate with other riders.
I spent money that I did not have, gave up many things, but all these things are not worth a moment without my BIKE
It is not a means of transport or a piece of iron with wheels, it is the lost part of my soul and my spirit.
And when someone says to me: "You have to sell your BIKE and you have to be a more serious person", ... I do not answer. I just turn my head and smile,
Walking on, to my BIKE..... only the person who loves them understands it.
May God bless my friends and their choice of great people!
And the adventure continues.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:18 pm

yes, we could die, I almost did, but I have bought two new "to me" bikes since my 2008 collision with a Semi that likes to climb walls.

~John
What is the Forum Index?
http://bit.ly/2GnjbzV

Download it here:
http://bit.ly/2SLDNqF

wildanimal84

Post by wildanimal84 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:34 pm

Corkster52 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:33 am
I found this on an 1800 page and thought it might ring true for a number of us that choose to ride as the world itself becomes a more risky place.

Found this on a Facebook page and wanted to share. Kinda sums up why I CHOOSE to ride!

Ever since I rode my first bike, I've been told endless times "it's dangerous", "you'll get hurt", "we don't want nothing to happen", "it's not worth it", "you could DIE."
Trust me, I know. I guarantee I've thought about it more than anyone I've talked to that doesn't ride. If I do die riding someday (which I hope that day never comes,) know that I'm the happiest I could be, sweating like a pig or shivering from the cold air, butt is as sore as it could be, enjoying what I love and what it gives me.
Those really close to me know it's much more then getting on a machine and how much it means to me.
What lots of people don't know is that you make so many memories, go on so many adventures, how freeing it is, make new friends and one day sitting around with everyone, you'll have a moment where you think to yourself "Wow, never would I thought I'd gain another family out of this and love them as much as I love my own."
THE DREAM THAT MANY WILL NOT UNDERSTAND:
I bought a BIKE for a personal dream.
One day when I am very old and when I can not walk anymore, it will be in my garage as a trophy of my memories.
I met people who taught me something and have the same spirit and I met others that I'm glad I forgot.
I got wet,
I felt cold,
And I felt warm,
I was afraid,
I fell,
And I stood up,
I even hurt myself,
But also, I laughed out loud inside the helmet.
I spoke a thousand times with myself.
I sang and shouted with joy like a madman,
And yes ... sometimes I cried.
I have seen wonderful places and lived unforgettable experiences.
I often made curves that even Valentino Rossi would be proud of other times I took curves full of terror.
I stopped a thousand times to see a landscape.
I spoke with perfect strangers, and I forgot people I see every day.
I went out with my demons inside and returned home with a feeling of absolute peace in my heart.
I always thought how dangerous it is, knowing that the meaning of courage is to advance even when feeling fear.
Every time I go up to my machine I think about how wonderful it is.
I stopped talking to those who do not understand, (they just don’t understand) and I learned through gestures to communicate with other riders.
I spent money that I did not have, gave up many things, but all these things are not worth a moment without my BIKE
It is not a means of transport or a piece of iron with wheels, it is the lost part of my soul and my spirit.
And when someone says to me: "You have to sell your BIKE and you have to be a more serious person", ... I do not answer. I just turn my head and smile,
Walking on, to my BIKE..... only the person who loves them understands it.
May God bless my friends and their choice of great people!
And the adventure continues.
Corkster 52 You nailed it on the head compadre, That's what riding is all about, looking back at all those MEMORIES, laughing, crying, but mostly sharing with the friends who rode with you, along with those who didn't and don't. Amen and well put my fellow rider.

C-dub
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M

Post by C-dub » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:16 pm

It's always dangerous. From riding across country by myself at 18 on a GS1100E to riding in SoCal in the 80's when some folks were so whatever about bikers that they actually came at you on the highway. I had that happen twice and if I hadn't had the bike I had I might not have had enough power to get outta the way quick enough and stay away.

The only crazy thing I've done on a street bike is go fast. REAL fast. Like lock me up and throw away the key fast. I know that's reckless itself, but other than that I didn't do anything else like split lanes or stunts or wheelies.

I've had friends and acquaintances die on their bikes or be permanently disabled or paralyzed. I quit riding my Hayabusa because it wasn't fun anymore and sold it many years ago. I thought I was done riding until my wife decided she wanted to ride again. When she says she wants to ride again that means we get another bike I ride and she sits on the back taking in the sights. I'm cool with that. Our daughter will be 18 later this year and graduate high school next June. I don't know how long she'll still be in the house, but the wife wants to put some miles on the Wing. She's incredibly intelligent and knows the risks. So,

we ride!

Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by Viking » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:58 am

Solina Dave wrote:

I think about this risk, and about packing it in, every day of the riding season. Then I get on my motorcycle, and go for a ride, and all the cares of the world, including packing it in, go away. I am fully aware of all around me, but my mind drops all the extraneous BS from the subconscious and I get to be free again. Like Dave, I ride alone. That way I am not frustrated by latecomers to the ride and people who think they can ride, but can't really. Or better yet, having others judge me lacking in my riding skills. I do not know how to play a guitar, but I do like coffee and watching stuff at the shore. All those other things he mentions are also on my agenda, but the ride is the thing that resets and refreshes me. It does take me longer to get into the relaxed zone than it used to. First I have to get away from the idiots and cell phone users and inconsiderate drivers of the city, and away from the packs of tailgaters who like to drive fifteen in a row in space for exactly that many. If the front guy has to suddenly brake, you have a fifteen car pileup. I try to stay out of those packs. On a good day, I can have nobody behind me for a mile and the same in front. Then I am free to pay attention to all the intersections and driveways and streets that enter into my roadway.

So, how much risk is too much risk? I honestly do not know, as I still get out there and ride. It is Cathartic and I do not know what I would do instead.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

Solina Dave
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (bought in fall of '77)
!977 Honda CB550F (my 1st motorcycle)

Post by Solina Dave » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:04 am

Viking wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:58 am
I think about this risk, and about packing it in, every day of the riding season. Then I get on my motorcycle, and go for a ride, and all the cares of the world, including packing it in, go away. I am fully aware of all around me, but my mind drops all the extraneous BS from the subconscious and I get to be free again. Like Dave, I ride alone. That way I am not frustrated by latecomers to the ride and people who think they can ride, but can't really. Or better yet, having others judge me lacking in my riding skills. I do not know how to play a guitar, but I do like coffee and watching stuff at the shore. All those other things he mentions are also on my agenda, but the ride is the thing that resets and refreshes me. It does take me longer to get into the relaxed zone than it used to. First I have to get away from the idiots and cell phone users and inconsiderate drivers of the city, and away from the packs of tailgaters who like to drive fifteen in a row in space for exactly that many. If the front guy has to suddenly brake, you have a fifteen car pileup. I try to stay out of those packs. On a good day, I can have nobody behind me for a mile and the same in front. Then I am free to pay attention to all the intersections and driveways and streets that enter into my roadway.

So, how much risk is too much risk? I honestly do not know, as I still get out there and ride. It is Cathartic and I do not know what I would do instead.
Exactly Viking. You got it. :D
"Assume Nothing"

mterraci
Motorcycle: 2007 Honda Goldwing

Post by mterraci » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:26 pm

I agree. I'm going to keep riding.
I accepted the risk the first time I ever got on a motorcycle because the risk exists.
I also ride alone and find it to be one of the most relaxing things in the whole world. I do my best to look out for me and for the guy next to me or the guy at the next intersection (I call it "driving for two"; looking out for everyone and preventing an accident if at all possible). I'm not a speed demon and I'm not a daredevil. I just enjoy being on the motorcycle out on the road (being out in the middle of nowhere with no other traffic around is a definite bonus).
While riding a motorcycle does carry a higher risk than many other things, the reality is people get killed every day crossing the street, driving their cars, and even sitting in their houses sometimes.
I'd rather die doing something I really love than avoid it or give it up. I'll continue to be as careful as possible when I'm out there.

Viking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by Viking » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:13 am

The only thing that really bothers me about dying is how long I will be dead........ :lol:

It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey